The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What do you compare magic with? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
---> This is in the kids section because it was sparked from that 5 page long thread that's also here<---

It seems like we all (many of us at least) have to compare magic with some other type of performing art. Presumably because we are an "illegitimate" or variety art. I think it's interesting though because what we compare magic to will greatly influence our perception of it.

Truthteller has compared it with music; and he is good company, Roger Klause has "Klause in Concert"

Jamy Ian Swiss has compared it to stand up comedy

When I first got back into magic (and still) I compared it to acting and storytelling. In fact I was surprised that everyone didn't.

I think comparing your magic to stand-up comedy, where you have to be original or your a hack, will lead to different ideas than if you compare it to acting, where your interpretations must be original but you don't write you own material, or storytelling, where you can (depending on your style) tell centuries old stories.

What do you compare magic to?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I started performing in comedy clubs, and I treat magic the same way as a stand up comedian would. I do tricks that are somewhat similar to other magicians, but everything in my show has my own rythem to it, with 2 LPM. A good comedy monologue is much like poetry, or music also. It scares me to think that I agree with Jamy Ian Swiss because he is absolutely nothing like I am (thank God)
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
To me it is a form of stand-up comedy with props. I'm not quite funny enough to do it without the props (or maybe they are my crutches).

Aside from that I draw inspiration from storytellers.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I wouldn't say I "compare" magic to anything. But, I do believe in offering variety in my shows, including songs (generally for kids, it's comedy songs) and guitar playing, puppets and other ventriloquist routines, storytelling, age-specific comedy, clowning, and patter, dancing, and of course, acting is a basic requirement for all magicians. Balloons can also play well as part of a show, though I prefer to keep away from balloon routines, as I have a completely different approach when making balloons for kids, and prefer NOT to include them in my show.
A significant number of adults, and even some kids, find magic less than engaging (admittedly it's only a few); so by including other artistic disciplines in your shows, you're able to entertain your entire audience every time.
Different performing arts engage folks at different levels, and stimulate varying parts of the brain. Spectators are MUCH more likely to enjoy your show if they are constantly using different parts of the cerebral cortex to interpret your peformance.
Perhaps the most important thing for kids' entertainers is to understand how age-specific many routines can be. The BEST routines for any particular age group will ONLY play well for that age. Routines that work for a wide age range, or perhaps all ages, are great for a family show, where you have all ages present. But presenting a routine that plays for a family audience to (say) a group of 5-year-olds - when there are no younger or older kids - will at best be given a luke-warm reception.
This is one of the great skills of the experienced kids' entertainer - to be able to look at a group of kids, and to KNOW EXACTLY what routines they will enjoy as a group. The dynamics of different groups are hugely variable. I personally have shows adapted for each specific age - 2,3,4,5,6,7, and 8 -as well as shows designed for two (or even three) different ages. Perhaps your audience comprise half 3-year-olds, and half 7-year-olds. Or, 4 and 8-year olds. Such specific age groups are common at Birthday parties, especially joint parties. Though you CAN get away with performing a "family show" for these parties, if you take the trouble to evaluate which routines the tow (or three) ages will enjoy, your shows will be far more successful.
I only present my family shows when I have just that - the whole family watching, kids of all ages, teenagers, adults, and seniors. I would never present a family show if there were almost no adults present, if there were no teenagers, or all the kids were under 5-years old and lots of adults, etc. Instead, I have shows aimed at these younger kids, which still engage and involve the adults - but have nothing which older kids and teenagers might find engaging.
Which brings me to an interesting point: is it possible to create a "show for all audiences"? In other words, a show which would equally engage very young kids (at least as young as 3), older kids and teenagers, adults and seniors, regardless of the actual group who are your audience? The answer is probably "yes, there is"...but what would YOU include in such a show? I know I'd struggle if I had to present such a show, and I certainly couldn't do it with magic alone. This is where I believe different disciplines within the performing arts can come to the rescue.
But, I prefer to stick with the "age-specific" concept, as it absolutely works, and you will ALWAYS engage your audience entirely IF you truly realise what every audience member is capable of enjoying, understanding, and taking part in.
Potty Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Tony
I don't want to give you the worng impression, when I worked in comedy clubs I was a comedy juggler. I went on stage with my top hat, three silicone balls, and a fake bowling ball. There is no greater thrill than being on stage in a comedy club with that spotlight in your face. It prepared me well for kid shows, and cub scout banquets.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-11-20 15:27, Al Angello wrote:
Tony
I don't want to give you the worng impression, when I worked in comedy clubs I was a comedy juggler. I went on stage with my top hat, three silicone balls, and a fake bowling ball. There is no greater thrill than being on stage with that spotlight in my face. It prepared me well for kid shows, and cub scout banquets.

Having that spotlight blinding you when the entire audience are giving you a standing ovation is possibly even more thrilling! Or indeed, feeling the "wall of sound" that quite literally hits you when you walk on stage, because the kids SCREAM with excitement the moment they see you. These things don't happen often, but when they do, boy, you're totally exchanging energy with your audience, and it's the most amazing experience.
:)
;)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There is nothing quite like mixing fear with adrenelin, and if you can come up with 30 funny minutes other comedians will congradulate you.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-11-20 12:09, Al Angello wrote:
... It scares me to think that I agree with Jamy Ian Swiss because he is absolutely nothing like I am (thank God)

lol Smile

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
As some of you know, for my sins I am also a pianist/composer and have various stuff from cable TV in USA to music shop demos in Kiev, Ukraine to featured pieces on Canary Island online brochures etc. I came into Magic from working as a Musician with Magicians. I also have a current Album on iTunes, Amazon etc. I'll not bore you with the URL again Smile

I personally don't know whether one could accept accept Magic and Music as being in the same category. Magic is not a tangible item or product along the lines of making and recording music or playing live. Sure it's a performing art the same, and I've played Piano for Magicians, and Musicians have played for me doing Magic over the years (wonder how many other folks could say this - quite unique I guess). But surely Magic is a deceptive art form whereas Music is a more direct art form? Maybe I'll get into trouble for saying this, and of course I'll listen to other views on the subject as my opinion is not entirely cast in stone.

I'd categorise Magic alongside either stand-up or situation comedy. There is also a fair amount of acting ability combined with sheer bravado needed too.

Tony
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I compare Magic to everything. When I'm reading or watching T.V. or walking I'm seeing things that touch on Magic.

Tom and I will often stop a Movie we are watching and comment about how it relates to our Magic.

- Mary Mowder
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-11-20 19:20, Mary Mowder wrote:
I compare Magic to everything. When I'm reading or watching T.V. or walking I'm seeing things that touch on Magic.

Tom and I will often stop a Movie we are watching and comment about how it relates to our Magic.

- Mary Mowder

Nice answer! Smile

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Mary's perception of the question is possibly a little different to mine - yes, of course, I'm always on the lookout for things that I could use for magic tricks - so I completely agree with what Mary says.
To answer Tony's point - in my opinion, music is the "greatest magic of all". A medium which can ellicit the whole range of human emotions within the minds and hearts of spectators. And, it's accomplished by using the vibrations of air molecules.
Potty Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Al, I haven't played as many comedy clubs as I would like (they don't pay much over here) but I know the feeling you describe. It is a great arena for entertainment. But it's one of the only venues that scare me.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Tony
There used to be about ten local comedy clubs around here. About eight of them have closed down, so there are a lot of good comedians out of work. They usually have three acts, they are the opener 15 minute act, the middle act thirty minute act, and a fourty five minute headliner. I get about $25 more to do one kids party on a Saturday afternoon that the headliner at a comedy club gets, so it did not take me long to figure out that kids were more profitable than comedy clubs were. I still do some adult events where my comedy experience comes in handy, but there is far, far more money, and work in extertaining kid.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What do you compare magic with? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL