The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Learning the Matrix (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
If you wanted to learn a Matrix routine what is the best resource ? By whom ? On video, DVD, or in a book ?
And when it is done do you need to use a close up mat ? - Nico
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I perform Matrix regularly on a carpeted floor. The angles are perfect (spectators are looking almost straight down) and it seems more impromptu.

A close-up pad or other such soft surface is recommended for most versions.

There are so many variants of Matrix, some are so muddied up with kickers and such! I highly recommend going to the original source: Al Schneider's "Matrix" booklet. No frills but some solid thinking as to why things are done the way they are.

Check out H&R Magic Books for copies of Al's releases. I'm in their latest catalog, myself (please don't let this reflect poorly on the quality of the items they offer).
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Myself personally, I am a big fan of Paul Cummins' "Top Billing" from "Up in Smoke".

Why? Because it does not use cards.

You use two dollar bills for cover - the coins from all four corners travel to the top left bill.

It is, simple, direct, and easy to do. You can borrow all the props. (Four quarters and two bills). You would need to have another type of coin (non-quarter) on you that remains hidden until the end though.

Dan
Click to visit:
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
I was just wondering, how's come it's called the Matrix now, and not the Sympathetic Coins anymore? It's pretty much the same thing, isn't it? Or was it always called the Matrix?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I would assume it got the name matrix from the arrangement of the coins into a square (a matrix being an arrangement of rows and columns). A square would be the simpilist form of a matrix.

Dan
Click to visit:
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Dean Dill's coin magic 2000 video has some nice matrix style routines
2 with cards one of them is a back fire
and a few chink-a-chink styles where you use your hands instead of cards or bills but you need to work on a soft surface either carpet or close up pad
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi all.

I have seen Aurelio Paviato and Vanni Bossi perform matrix without cards or bills, covering the coin with hands. It has angles, I think, but it looks great.

Anyone knows who belongs the idea/original routine?

Thanks

Stefano

Stefano Mambretti
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Mambra,

You are talking about a coin assembly. David Roth's Chink-A-Chink originally published in APOCALYPSE vol. 1 no. 1. Is the original idea/routine with coins.

There are predecessors for matrix type effects and sliding a coin on a mat, and assmeblies with sugar cubes, but the evoultion into the coin routine as we know it today as Chink-A-Chink is David Roth's as far as I am aware.
Click to visit:
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Actually, "Sympathetic Coins" by Yank Hoe predates Roth by a couple of decades (at least).

Schneider's "Matrix" (circa 1965, which uses 4 cards) is based on the Hoe routine (which uses only 2 cards).

Roth's "Chink-A-Chink" gave birth to all of the bare-hand variants we see today.

And that's me "assembling" my 2 cents' worth.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Matrix is, of course, Al Shneider's invention from 1960. He remains the best source of information on performing the effect. If you're interested in seeing him do it, he has a short video on his Website (http://www.worldmagiccenter.com/).

His most advanced description of the methodology, filled with performance exercises and all the little touches that only years of experience can provide, can be found in the March 2000 issue of Genii Magazine (pp. 61-68). This is the source!

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I agree Geoff,

I made the distinction between a Matrix effect - coins covered by cards, and a coin assembly - coins covered by hands.

Mambra was asking about a coin assembly (without cards or bills for cover).

When I said above that there are predecessors for matrix effects, I meant Hoe's routine "Sympathetic Coins" in Hillard's THE ART OF MAGIC in 1909. When I said there was a predecessor for sliding a coin on a mat (using the base of the thumb), I meant Derek Dingle in DINGLES DECEPTIONS, and Assemblies with sugar cubes I meant Nate Leipzig's routine.

To answer mambra's original question directly - David Roth took the elements of those who predated him above and created the Chinese Coin Assembly (Chink-a-Chink). As far as I am aware Roth was the first to make an assembly (covering the coins with only his hands).

Dan
Click to visit:
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi.

Thanks a lot for all the information.

Stefano

Stefano Mambretti
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I learned Shneider's original version from him some 30 years ago and I have never been tempted by "improved" versions...until recently. Aldo Columbini showed me a version utilizing a "Siamese quarter" that is amazingly clean and direct with a kicker. It is also very simple to do and you end up with four clean quarters and cards.
Magritte Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi everyone,
I have A book on the two coin gimick ( witch is what the slamese coin was called before Gallo change the name) My book was put out in 1978 years before the Gallo book. Gallo does give me credit in the forward. I guess he just thought it was a cooler name! Also Coumbino's routine is a vary miner version of something I had in my frist of notes 25 years ago. with no credit to me. So I have been A matrix nut for over 30 years. Stop when you see one you like Smile.

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
-Can be found in Bobo's book called Yank Hoe (aka four coins assembly)

-Michael Rubinstein has a slightly different version in his Knockout Coin Magic series VHS/DVD called Reverse Matrix--awesome effect.

Regards,
Tony
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2002-04-22 17:18, Coinjurer wrote:

Hi everyone,
I have A book on the two coin gimick ( witch is what the slamese coin was called before Gallo change the name) My book was put out in 1978 years before the Gallo book. Gallo does give me credit in the forward. I guess he just thought it was a cooler name! Also Coumbino's routine is a vary miner version of something I had in my frist of notes 25 years ago. with no credit to me. So I have been A matrix nut for over 30 years. Stop when you see one you like Smile.

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer

Actually, Columbini didn't claim credit for either of the two Matrix versions he showed me, but I don't know whether or not he published them in some lecture notes.
I am a great fan of your work, David. I have the Coinjuror video and it is wonderful. Glad you are here with us!
Magritte Smile
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
for some awesome matrix effects you can check out Dean Dills tapes, that guy is all about the coin assemblies man.

cards n coins or just hands n coins...he's great.

and he's a good teacher so you won't feel like you have to keep rewinding the tape cause you missed something.

http://www.deandill.com
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Michael Gallo just put out a routine using quarters "Visual Coin Assembly" you can borrow 4 quarters lay them out in a square put a shot glass over one coin and a business card over another. instantly it vanishes and visually apears under the shot glass. it's a very nice routine
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
I think that the Apocalypse volumes are a great buy for cards and coins alike, and has loads of different versions on the Matrix, with/without shells, extra coins, backfires. So that there will surely be something that catches your eye. It has two routines by Dean Dill that caught my eye "4 to 1" and
"4 to 2" I think they were called.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Magritte,

Thanks, glad you liked it. As to the routines. I know he has had it on one of his videos And I think he has put it out as a marketed Trick too. I know Jim Patten reviewed it and called him on it for missing the credit. I know that sometimes if you put a lot of stuff, And you teach another Magician a routine, And don't say it's not your's or don't credit it to that person a lot of magicias will think it is yours.
Racherbumer calls it Crediting by defalt or something like that.

I am not saying that he meant to do it, just that sometimes thats what it looks like. So it's easer to just credit. Because sometimes
That's about all the person who came up with the ideal gets out of it. Let's face it most people don't get rich from coming up with magic tricks and routines! So it's just nice to see your name in print and know that you have helped out in some small way!

Ok I will get off my soap box now. I am not trying to put the man down or anyone for that matter. Just trying to set the record straight not trying to jump on anyones case. ok, well thanks for your time, great talking to you.

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Learning the Matrix (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL