The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Improving my metal bending (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
So I consider myself quite a skilled metal bender, but I want to take it to the "next level"... Whatever that means.

I have got most of my learning from Psychokinetic Silverwear and Liquid Metal. I also do coin bending often, using my Quantum Bender 2.0. People do seem to enjoy my performances and actually seem to believe in my abilities - though I present it as a "hidden talent that takes concentration". However I want to really try and make the whole thing seem like a genuine miracle. When Geller does it people genuinely are not sure what they are seeing, and it seems totally beyond the normal. I therefore want to see what I can do to improve my overall metal bending performance. There are a few things I want to add and a few things I wish to eliminate from my performance, for example I noticed how people who claim to be real never "shake" the fork/spoon to hard, possibly because this is the most obvious method in metal bending.

• How can I engage my audience? Make them care about the bending coin? It's hard to not make it a puzzle.
• Any tips on how to use strong silverwear? I would love to start using harder and thicker stuff.
• Any great and "real-looking" bends?
• Key bends? What are your opinions on these?

Tom
xx
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
mike herbert
View Profile
New user
mike herbert
52 Posts

Profile of mike herbert
Look at early Geller Videos, analyse as to why people cared about it back in the seventies. look at the context ie the 70s and why geller made such a hit, then try nd think oof a way to bring it into a modern context. try and establish what you are as a performer. eg if you are a trickster or a sleight of hand artist then no one will care about it, it is a novelty if you do this right you will see that molten metal is a magic trick, who cares about that?

in other words determine who you are and what persona you are trying to portray, if you are serious about it then you should find yourself dropping the magic tricks or at least using the principles to accomplish effects that fit your personality. walk the walk and talk the talk, read Bob Cassidy's materials, in fact read everything you can in this regard. you are an illusionist...........
CREATE THE ILLUSION

Mike
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5114 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2010-11-20 21:17, Eshla wrote:
So I consider myself quite a skilled metal bender

• How can I engage my audience? Make them care about the bending coin? It's hard to not make it a puzzle.
• Any tips on how to use strong silverwear? I would love to start using harder and thicker stuff.
• Any great and "real-looking" bends?
• Key bends? What are your opinions on these?

You are a skilled bender and you had that questions??
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I meant skilled in the technical sense. I can perform all the standard bends and twists and have never been caught. But I do sometimes feel like not everyone cares enough. Most do, but I know I am not doing it perfectly.

I like to think my asking questions shows a bit of humility; because I do wish to improve.

xx
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18336 Posts

Profile of IAIN
How long have you been doing this bending, eshla?

and people did know how Geller was doing it - psychic powers...

are you now claiming the same?

and how does this new bending ability of yours fit in with your previous claims of skepticism and being against all the psychic stuff? and finally - how does fit in with your character?
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Talking about making people care...
Check out Jon Allens FLEXION

Steve
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I do not claim psychic powers, I make that very clear. I never lie at all during my metal bending routine, I say things that are quite vauge and can be left open to interpritation.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18336 Posts

Profile of IAIN
But by definition, being able to bend metal by any means (apart from derren's psychological version in one of his early shows) - indirectly suggests some kind of mental prowess/ability of some kind...

unless you are brutally honest with what you are doing, obviously...

what if you give them a false belief with your vague interpretation?
Maddened
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Maddened
I think one key trick(?) that Geller uses that you can adapt and modify is that he sometimes gets everyone involved. He'll say, "Now everyone just think 'BEND! BEND! BEND!'..." and he leads the audience in thinking those words. This way, the audience has a stake in wanting the thing to bend, and not merely just passive watchers.

Another thing is Geller exhibits genuine childlike wonder. He increases the tempo of the entire act, meaning the first bend takes a while and is quite a subdued affair. But once it succeeds, he gets excited about it working and starts become more animated, dramatic, and the pace increases. He starts running from person to person to get them to touch the metal, asks them to see that it is hot from the "bending", and gives it to them to examine. Because he has built the tempo to a fever pitch, he is able to start another bend while some audience is examining the previous bend -- a perfect cover.

So as Mike Herbert says, look at his old videos and learn from them. He is very good at this and you can learn a lot, provided you know what to look out for.

The way to not make it a puzzle is to well... not make it a puzzle! If you don't claim to do this through some strange powers, it cannot be anything else but a puzzle! But what do you exactly say that is left open to interpretation?

And how do you make people care about a coin bend? Do they realise how great a challenge it is to bend a coin? Talk about souvenir shops which sell bent coins and how they require a vise and a hammer or a wrench in order to do this, and how it is a slow and painful process that takes a lot of strength and skill to do. Talk about coin minting and how the early coins are made with soft metals and had the engraving of the ruler who commissioned it etc but the face would wear away with time, and people experimented with metals to create something relatively cheap to produce yet hard and durable--something that is meant to last. Talk about the urban legend of how a coin on a railway track can derail a train, and though it is not true, the point is that a simple coin is believed to be that indestructible. Then say you are going to bend it, not with tools, not with vises and wrenches, not with trains (cue: laughter) but just your mind... or something like that.

Then bend it.

Don't you find yourself caring about the coin bend now? Smile
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2185 Posts

Profile of dmoses
The question will be answered once you address "why" you are able to transform metal.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
When people ask me how I do what I do (atleast when it comes to metal bending), I always say that I will only tell them two things about metal bending: Firstly I state that it is not psychic and I don't believe in such things.

Second I say that it does infact genuinely require quite a bit of mental concentration and months and months of practise and hard work. I am genuinely left with a headache often and I would not be at all suprised, that if one became good enough at it and got so used to bending metal that it became second nature to him or her, and they started to think of themselves as supernatural or psychic - I say I wouldn't be suprised if Geller himself believes he does have some powers.

You'll notice that most of what I'm saying is true, it is possible to convince yourself its supernatural (its a psychological problem I am told) and it does indeed often give me headaches from the effort of performing without getting caught.

P.S
Does anyone else get those headaches after metal bending, or is it just me?
smokingkills
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of smokingkills
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 12:34, Eshla wrote:

When people ask me how I do what I do (atleast when it comes to metal bending), I always say that I will only tell them two things about metal bending: Firstly I state that it is not psychic and I don't believe in such things.

To each their own, but isn't that just a bit depressing? I mean, where is the "magic" in that explanation?
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 13:37, smokingkills wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 12:34, Eshla wrote:

To each their own, but isn't that just a bit depressing? I mean, where is the "magic" in that explanation?

Yes, but this is Britain in 2010, I cannot directly claim to be psychic without getting laughed at. And I'd rather not be so wishy-washy as to give no explanation at all, that's not my style, instead I prefer to leave just a few things for them to think about.

Whats more is, if I did claim to be psychic then such things as the headaches would seem acted; but because I don't make such claims people do not expect me to be 'acting'
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 14:04, Eshla wrote:
Yes, but this is Britain in 2010, I cannot directly claim to be psychic without getting laughed at.

why?
xxx
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 14:15, Jay Are wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 14:04, Eshla wrote:
Yes, but this is Britain in 2010, I cannot directly claim to be psychic without getting laughed at.

why?

Because theres not much of a market for it. Anyone who has heard of Derren Brown (and that's most people) have been innocuated against psychics, and besides I generally don't want to see myself that way.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Be true to what you are...

Nothing more -- nothing less.
xxx
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 14:47, Jay Are wrote:
Be true to what you are...

Nothing more -- nothing less.

A nerd?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Most laymen that like Derren that I have met believe he is psychic. The rest think he's totally boring.

Its about 50/50
blackESP
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of blackESP
Quote:
On 2010-11-21 14:43, Eshla wrote:

Because theres not much of a market for it.

Psychics playing to sold out theatres across the country would beg to differ.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
The fastest growing religion in the UK is, at the momemt, spiritualism.

Can't say there's no market for it.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Improving my metal bending (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL