The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft OFX Walker vs Kennedy (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
T_C_Magic
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of T_C_Magic
I am going to purchase a Schoolcraft OFX coin set and was wondering how many coin guys use the Walker coin over the Kennedy. Could you give me your reason why. Do you think they look better or do they handle different. Up to now I usually use Kennedy gi----ks.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I love the Walkers because I think they're a beautiful coin and more rare. I don't know that I'd ever seen one until I started doing magic, so a layperson might see it and think it's a magic coin, when in reality it's the real deal. That said, I just like the look and feel of them, and the noise they make has a gorgeous ring to it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Walking Liberty is considered one of the best American coin designs.
They look elegant and do seem to handle differently.
As Andrew said, they sound great.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
funnybiz
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of funnybiz
The Walker has a few psychological advantages. Since many spectators will not have seen them as much and they are older, they automatically get a little respect and awe. Thanks to Hollywood and fantasy books, people can imagine that since it's older there's been more time and possibility for the coins to pick up some magical properties.

Also, it's harder for people to imagine you would gaff an older, more collectible coin like that (as, I believe Lawrence helped me realize in a previous thread).

I think, also, there is a since for little kids like -- "Hey, it's 50 cents--maybe if I get ahold of it I can keep it and spent it." So there is less respect there. With an older coin you don't have that problem.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
Quote:
Also, it's harder for people to imagine you would gaff an older, more collectible coin like that

I totally agree. It's easy for someone to think you'd gaff something worth $0.50. But something collectible?!? Heck no! You'd have to be mad!

While 64 Kennedys may have the same collector value as walking liberties, not many specs even know there's a difference between silver and clad Kennedys.

Also, Walkers really are the most aesthetically pleasing coins to me. They're also easier to get soft.
T_C_Magic
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of T_C_Magic
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm going for the Walkers. Can someone tell me a good place to get some regular Walkers to go with gaff coins. Also what grade of coin would you get.
TC
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
A lot of folks prefer "soft" or well worn coins. I like more detail with the milled edge intact. A coin dealer or pawn shop often has a box of "cull" coins that have no numismatic value. You should be able to get cheaper coins that way.
The big auction offers nice ones around $9 to $12 for common dates.

Get your OxF first so you can match your coins to it.
-Charles Schulz
T_C_Magic
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of T_C_Magic
Jazzy that was a great idea waiting until I get the OXF coins fist. Thanks fot the advice.
TC
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Y'know, I really don't think the audience pays that much attention to it.
We sometimes tend to get OCD because we're so close to it.

The only coins I avoid are the newer Kennedys. the bust is slightly smaller and indented (ugly).
New U.S. coins in general are poorly made.
-Charles Schulz
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Just a note - If you're ever going to do 3Fly, soft walkers will make life infinitely easier for you.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Where's the best place (outside of the states) to get soft walkers?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
bghost
View Profile
New user
USA
93 Posts

Profile of bghost
Quote:
On 2010-11-23 10:48, Andrewzuber wrote:
Where's the best place (outside of the states) to get soft walkers?

Try ebay.
I bought bunch of them and a decent price.

Bin
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I searched the big site but wasn't exactly sure what description to use to make sure I was getting what I was looking for.
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

You want a walker that's circulated. But I suggest looking at all of the walking liberty half dollars, and sorting by price and then looking at them by their picture. That's the only way you'll really see their wear.

Or you can do what I did and post a WTB ad on the forum. I got a few responses, and got a GREAT set of fairly well matched soft walkers for $10/coin postage paid.

If you're lucky, a coin shop around you might have some walkers though. My local coin shops have all sorts of awkward coins from around the world, so there's no reason why they can't have them in the UK.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I'll post an ad. I got my current sets from Jamie Schoolcraft (through Dean Dill) and they're beauties. The guys in the magic shop over here have offered to buy these off of me several times. I keep telling them I'll pick a few up the next time I'm home...the coin shop here in town hasn't had walkers for quite some time, but I've seen plenty for sale in L.A.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
I've had pretty good luck finding soft WL's, Morgans and even English pennies at antique malls (the kind that have untended locked cases). With the recent steep increases in silver prices, I have noticed that the dedicated coin shops no longer have the quantity of soft coins the used to have. Perhaps the absentee sellers are slower on the uptick in silver prices and less likely to sell off their low grade coins for their silver content.

Regards,

Alan
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
What magicians call soft coin collectors call fine condition. In general coin collctors wand extra fine or better, what we are looking for is only worth the value of the silver. As of this time The melt value of a half dollar is very near to $10.00.

As to TC's initial post. Its nearly impossible to find Soft Kennedys, they did never really circulated, whereas walkers were around from the late teens, and many were worn in circulation. I think half dollars are almost unknown to people under thirty or so.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I use the older walker coins because they look antique, and appear to be very valuable to those who aren't coin collectors. The coins are interesting props to the spectator, I think it's good to do tricks with interesting items, and often you have people who want to look at the coins simply because they're interested in the coins themselves.

I like the schoolcraft coins because he re-mills the edges making them much easier to palm.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Andrew if you want Walkers try the coin shops in London, they have plenty.

Good Luck
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thanks! I'm down in London in a couple of weeks so I'll try that out Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft OFX Walker vs Kennedy (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL