The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magic Squares for the Mathematically Challenged (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Here's a blatant act of self promotion...

Scott Cram has been kind enough to publish my (free) e-book "Magic Squares for the Mathematically Challenged" on his site - Grey Matters (http://headinside.blogspot.com/)

There's my write-up on a system I use to reduce the amount of math needed to perform a magic square, as well as a few presentation ideas. Also, there are links to a series of screencasts I've done that take you through the system.

If you are intrigued by Magic Squares, then you might enjoy checking it out.

All the best...Bill
Bartelli
View Profile
Veteran user
Belgium
323 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
Bill,
The challenge video is intriguing. Smile But the download function at Scribd doesn't seem to work. (I don't want to read everything on my screen)

Anyway, thanks for your effort and for sharing this. I hope the other videos are equally interesting.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Bartelli, I just went to the web site and hit the download button, and it worked for me. Try it again. If it still doesn't, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Thanks for checking it out!

Bill
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
It's not working for me either.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Having read through this on the web page this system is very similar to what Arther Benjamin published in his Secrets of Mental Math book and consequently what was republished (with permission) in my Mind Tapped - Techniques to Control Minds book.

He uses a base grid but doesn't bother using any memory and leaves the base square openly out on the table as an example. Very clever and eliminates even the memory work!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Hmmm, not sure what the problem is in terms of downloading, but I have your e-mail Patrick from when I bought Heptagon, so I went ahead and e-mailed you a copy.

Bill
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1731 Posts

Arthur *
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Yes, it uses the same steps to adjust a basic 34 foundation grid.

Benjamin's idea of using it as a visual aid while doing the adjustment isn't original to him, it goes back to at least Annemann, if not earlier.

The purpose of my idea is to eliminate the math Benjamin and others who use this approach have to calculate in Steps 1 and 2 in Benjamin's book.

Like I mention in the e-book, for some that math isn't a problem, so taking time to do the memory work I suggest would be a waste of time, BUT, for those who fumble a bit with math on the spot, in front of a watching, waiting audience, may find it helpful.

The presentation I like to do doesn't work with bringing out a basic 34 sample grid as an example because I build mine out of Post It notes and no one knows exactly what I'm building until it's done. That's why I came up with this approach.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

In fact, for the curious (and nostalgic), here is the "Mann" himself using a basic grid in his Magic Square performance!

Click here to view attached image.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Bill,

Very generous of you. I was unable to download the file to my computer but found I could print it out.

Many thanks.
Bartelli
View Profile
Veteran user
Belgium
323 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
I managed to download it now. The site asked to login with my facebook account. (so I guess I will be recieving messages from Scribd now.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2112 Posts

Profile of ddyment
One needs to be a (free) Scribd member, and logged in, before the download buttons will work.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
OldNick
View Profile
Regular user
Dresden/Germany
111 Posts

Profile of OldNick
Bill, thank you for this document (and videos)!

Currently I do the math in my head, but I can see the advantages of your idea. I will try it, for sure!

Have fun!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Thanks for checking it out Nick!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I downloaded it easily, and am looking forward to reading it. Thanks.
Tragic Geek Patriot
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Tragic Geek Patriot
Very cool! Thanks very much for putting this out there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magic Squares for the Mathematically Challenged (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL