The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
586 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

For the past decade I have been approached by countless individuals that have decided to take the mentalism plunge. They almost always ask about what effects they should perform, which to me, is one of the least interesting aspects of what we do. However, as the conversations move forward, I can usually manage to toss in a few comments about the things that I feel are the basis for performing and/or creating strong mentalism.

And so, with that said, I highly recommend the new book about Del Ray. Although it is primarily a biography, it also contains the only authorized DVD of the master at work. Even though I have owned a large percentage of the same video footage for years (but it is really nice to finally have earlier generations), watching Del made me think about every piece that I perform (which is what I do every single time that I watch a great performer/thinker).

Don't worry about the effects (although they are among the best ever)...and don't tell me that it's not mentalism. Look at the construction. Look at the character development. Look at the audience management.

If you are not able to become better at what you do (regardless of what it is that you happen to do) from watching Del Ray, you may want to simply stop performing. Period.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
That's pretty much what I get from reading your presentations and effects. Although there are many I have chosen not to perform(can't do everything) and some that I do, I can honestly say that I always am stimulated by your thinking and often add ideas to the performing repertoire that were not there before. A recent example is for a show I am doing in December where I was going to do both Group Dynamic and Fate. Due to time restrictions, I am editing one out so have decided to use the intial staredown from GD to those called up for Fate. Hope it works out. I think it will.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL