The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » String or rods? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
I know there are many variations of control sticks in a vent fugure.
Which do you prefer? One operated by string or rod?
Do you prefer the piston grip or the classic and why?
I've only handled a classic before with strings so I don't know the other type of control stick.
Thumb or first finger to operate the mouth control? I am so used to the finger as all my marionettes are using finger to trigger the mouth movement.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
There's no correct answers for your questions, Frankie. I love control sticks that use strings because I love classic figures. Some would prefer metal rods inside versus strings because they won't break. Different people, different tastes.

Same with controlling mouth lever with either the thumb or forefinger. I have figures with both controls, so sometimes I use my thumb, sometimes my forefinger. It really depends on one's preference.

IMO the more important thing to learn is how to manipulate the vent figure properly, and how to create your own material.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Ony's right. Some of mine are string, some rods. And I'm glad to see somebody else say that he uses either his index finger or his thumb to control the mouth! I figured I was just doing it wrong. I'm left-handed, and when I buy a figure it's almost always right-handed. I learn to deal with it, but I'm also ready to control the figure on the other side if I need to.

Make the figure live. That's the important thing.

-Philip
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I built Henry with very simple mechanics. I used a double string in case of breakage, and the trigger is set up for my right thumb but can also be used with my left forefinger. I had an Insull figure when I was younger. It had brass rods and strings, but the arrangement made it easy to fix a broken string and the mechanics were very smooth and certain. Either way works fine.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I have figures with strings and rods... believe me, both will eventually break unless you don't plan to use your puppets Smile

I have figures with mouth operated by the thumb as well as index finger Smile Sooner or later you will get used to both which could actually be an advantage specially if there willl be a need to perform with two figures at the same time. Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
I kinda am partial to figures who have control rods vice the control strings. I just think the movements are more direct and that the rods would be much less likely to fail over time (or during a performance:o) Just my preference but I had a figure with control strings and my fingers sometimes would get tangled in them (but in their defense, I AM a noob/fledgling vent and with practice that most likely would NOT happen). ALL 4 of my figure family have animations that are controlled by rods.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Actually I much prefer rods too.I reason that rods will last longer than strings.And having direct control produces better response on the animation when you activate the trigger.
Visit my website
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
If using strings,what kinda string do you use?
Visit my website
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I've had both and really have no preference myself, about the only preference I really developed was preferring a figure not have self-centering eyes, I want total control, but even with that said, I've had both with that too and can work with either.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » String or rods? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL