The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Ghost Music Box Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
With a music box on display from the start, the participant "chooses" a song from among many. That tune turns out to be the one the music box plays. When the music box is opened, however, it is found to have no movement inside.

I'm told a version appears in Bob Baker's book, "Shared Thoughts."

Does anyone know of earlier versions?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I don't know the date of Bob's book, but Lee Earl put out the Musing Box as a stand-alone item, it is also described in his Making Manifestations (put out in 1989, detailing the seance that he had created and conducted). This is still in print, and currently available on CD.

The method used by Lee goes back long before for creating sounds and music that seemed to come from either nowhere or an object on a table, like a glass (not from a music box though).

Others have replicated Lee's Musing Box utilizing the same method, and more recent advances.

Although this did not involve a selection of songs, it easily could have been used that way.

About 2 years ago, Lee was looking and making a limited edition, reissue of his item.

As I said, I don't know if Bob's book came before Lee's initial release. Bob is a member here and may be able to provide the information you are looking for.

I hope this helps.

Tony
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Lee's "Musing Box" was a variation on "Oh, My Papa," which was a routine that was sold by ZZM. Borodin came up with this one. At the time, he performed this for people who were roughly in their 40's and 50's. In Germany, "Oh, My Papa" was popular for much longer than it was in the US, because it was not connected to the Eddie Fisher scandal (in Germany).

It used a psychological force.

The idea first appeared in print as a magic trick (as far as I know) in "The Gen" magazine, and later in The Art of Close Up Magic as "Spiritune" by Fredrica. In this routine, the tune was forced by means of small cards.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The MacAbee rings Lewis presentation also uses the principle as finale for the routine
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2010-11-23 22:47, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I don't know the date of Bob's book....

It's from 1985, btw.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Frederica's routine was in print long before Bob's book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Ghost Music Box Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL