The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with Magic Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jirpel
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jirpel
I Need some help in selecting a magic set for my 10 year old son?

We just cam back from a trip to Disney and made a stop at the Magic shop at Downtown Disney. We purchased my son the rising card trick which he enjoys performing for family and friend. I would now like to expand his show since it seems that he has an interest and get him a Magic set for Christmas. There are so many out there, but was wondering if anyone here can make some recommendation. I was looking at the Bright Projects Exclusive Magic Set 3 but didn’t want to get some junk which may turn him away. I was looking to spend around $50. Thank you for your help.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
680 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
So far for around $50 the best one is Criss Angel Magic kit,
check this link :
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=2330
The DVD, book, props, all the stuff inside have a good quality....
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Check your local Walgreen's..just saw the Chriss Angel set there for like 40 I think.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
10 years is a tricky age. Most magic sets are geared towards younger kids, and the props are normally made of plastic and very gimmicky and cheap.

The set you mention looks interesting, but like I say, magic sets are a minefield.
The Fantasma Toys Deluxe Legends of Magic DVD Set at around $50, is supposed to be good.

If your boy is serious about magic, there's a lot of great books I'd recommend, rather than DVDs. Books are by far the best way to get into magic. One thing you need to know about magic books is that they're often not in print for long - but the 'classics' are generally available very cheap, second hand. You can get pretty much everything I list below for literally a couple of bucks, and people have built whole careers on this material. I know it feels weird getting someone a second-hand book as a present, but if your boy's really into this stuff, he should love the contents! I'm a businessman (and amateur magician), I'm not short of cash, yet my magic library is almost entirely second-hand.

"The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay is excellent, and has some great advice on performance. If you bought just one book, this should be it.

"Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" is also great, and covers all the basics.

If you browse this forum you'll see people referring to "Tarbell" or "The Tarbell Course". This is an eight-volume course that contains a huge amount of magic and is in almost every Magician's library. Volume 1 alone has more magic in it than anyone could ever master, and covers a lot of the 'classics'.

If he seems interested in coin magic, "The New Modern Coin Magic" by J.B. Bobo is the coin magician's bible (again, you can get it for a couple of bucks). One advantage of coin magic is that the props are always available... and from the parent's point of view, they're cheap!

Since you mention card magic, "The Royal Road To Card Magic" by Jean Hugard is the classic book on card magic. Most of the stuff in there can be done with a normal deck of cards, so, again, the props are cheap.

Whatever set you go for, please consider getting a couple of these books as well - they're dirt cheap, and a really, really great way to get into magic. If I'd got a couple of these at 10 years old, it would've been the best Christmas ever...!

Good luck, and happy holidays.
jirpel
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jirpel
I appreciate the recommendations but after reading some reviews I am not sure this is the right kit for me. This is one review from a member of this forum.

"After reading this and several other threads, I decided that I was not well enough informed to make any decision.
So, I went to my neighborhood thrift store and found Mr. Angel's "Magic Kit."
When you first open the box, the first thing that is noticeable is a cheap TT and a red piece of clothe.
Next, there is a card wrapped in IT. There are also several pieces of plastic that vaguely resemble real effects.
No young person could ever fool anyone with any of this kit. It is total c**p. This junk is a great way to convince any young magician to take up the clarinet.
I do not know why Richard Kaufman would call this the best kit in years. While I respect him, I seriously disagree with this evaluation. I have looked at just about every magic kit that has been put out in the U.S. in the last 50 years. This one ranks right at the very bottom".

Saw similar reviews on amazon. Any other suggested kits?

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 11:33am
Volto

Thanks for the list of books. Will certainly by stopping by ebay to look up a few titles.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
You know what? I want to change my recommendation.

Get him all of those books, a deck of cards and a handful of coins.

Since there's some cash left over, if he really wants to do the 'mindfreak' mind reading stuff, get him "13 Steps to Mentalism" by Corinda. It's kind of adult - not in an obscene or scary way, just because it deals with predictions, fake psychics, how to read people and stuff. It might be a little more grown-up than you'd like. I don't remember anything offensive in it; it's just that the material takes an adult perspective, and serious guts, to perform. Again, you don't need much in terms of props.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Perhaps you could "build" a magic set from things you buy at your local shop?

Cards, Scotch & Soda or Hopping Halves, TT, silk, a deck of gaffed cards and a couple of books maybe.
Pack them in a nice box, decorate it with Xmas wrapping paper or suchlike and Voila, a personalised magic set.

I hope you find something you both like.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
jirpel
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jirpel
Decided to got with the Deluxe Legends of Magic Set - and a few books listed above (see what I can find). Thanks all for your help.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
So maybe its a bit late... but I bought my niece this set because the props are all wood..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001YNLLK/ref=......Code=asn
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
JohnIJ
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of JohnIJ
I would agree with Tom. When my son got into magic at the age of 11 we went to one of the magic shops in Holland and build him a set. Mainly because magic sets in Holland are realy designed for kids around the age of 7-8-9 years old.

We bought some easy to learn and perform tricks, a deck of cards, some packet tricks and Mark Wilson's book.It realy gets him into magic.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8463 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You might even think of one or two of my books - but maybe not. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
If you are going to be around to be involved then absolutely. You will get better value building your own set from individual items at a brick and mortar. For kids, a lot of the classics still play fine... Svengali deck, nickles to dimes, etc

It doesn't even hurt to get one or two more advanced things for the child to grow into... such as a good book or two Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I bet if you sweet talk Harry Lorayne enough he'll show up dressed as Santa Clause on Christmas morning.
The kid may wonder what's going on, but a few years down the road when he realizes you got him a living legend for Christmas, he'll be the most grateful child on the block.
You should probably check with Harry though first.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8463 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Nah; all you have to do is go to my magic website, third onelisted below this post, to see what's currently available. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
It seems like I'm late to the party. Still, I recommend you keep an eye on your son and see what he's good at and what he likes to perform. That way, it makes further purchases a lot easier. If he picks things up well, he could graduate from the magic kit and start trying his hand at professional routines.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5296 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
He'd probably love "Magic: The Complete Course" (Book & DVD) by Joshua Jay. $13.57 on Amazon.

Joshua is hip enough that he'd resonate with a 10 year old, yet this book offers some very commercial magic that does not involve any killer sleights ... practice, yes. But no knuckle-busting.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1345 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Re books:Many of us (as I've read from other posts) started out with Mark Wilson's Complete Course. A classic introduction . Joshua Jay's book is a real treasure and includes a dvd. I'm guessing you could purchase both books plus a coupla decks of cards and a wand for under $50.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5296 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good call lynnef. Mark Wilson's "Complete Course" is a great investment. AND, let us not be negligent and forget our friend Mr. Lorayne's "The Magic Book." Both are classic go-to sources for beginners and veterans alike.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3386 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2010-11-24 14:20, Cyberqat wrote:
So maybe its a bit late... but I bought my niece this set because the props are all wood..

I don't know how it is now, but some years ago the "dragon" nest-of-boxes apparatus pictured as part of this set was unuseable because they forgot to make the outer box with a lid! (feke side, but no top lid...) Smile

Julie
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
Quote:
On 2010-11-25 21:34, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-11-24 14:20, Cyberqat wrote:

I don't know how it is now, but some years ago the "dragon" nest-of-boxes apparatus pictured as part of this set was unuseable because they forgot to make the outer box with a lid! (feke side, but no top lid...) Smile

Julie

I got this set a while ago and the dragon box works fine.

-Teed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with Magic Set (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL