The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Anyone in the UK wana make me a table top (im useless) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Pm me if you are a master craftsman and fancy a project, I have a nice stand, just need a table top!

Best

Ash
Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
Hi Ash,

I would give Colin Rose a call. http://www.fiveofheartsmagic.co.uk/

He is a great craftsmen so even if it is just a basic top you know your going to get something well made.

http://www.fiveofheartsmagic.co.uk/index......ctId=113

I am considering one of these myself.
ernie guderjahn
View Profile
New user
Cow flop fairground
71 Posts

Profile of ernie guderjahn
Gomto a restaurant supply house, they have sturdy, inexpensive tray tables with large a large working surface that all folds flat for traveling. Next stop a fabric shop for some sticky backed velcro and two yards of flash cloth. Velcro on the down stage edge, flop the clothover the back side and use spring clamps to secure the upstage side. There are also liquidation stores that carry used restaurant equipment where this type of tray cnd stand can be found dirt cheap. In vaudeville time this was a trip and keister set up. Packs small, plays big and can really be made to look great with the right fabric. We used to make them for $6 and they sold like hot cakes for $50 at Magic Castle swap meets in the late '70. Want another way to go.... Students at the scene shop at local high schools and colleges will jump at a simple project like this, help with design and charge very little, they can build it out of FREE scraps left over when they tear down a show, they can get extra credit from instructors for doing it, and you can probably get the whole thing done for the trade off of doing a magic show for them, or teaching a couple of card miracles to the scene shop crew.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Thanks buddy!

Im thinking of giving it ago!

What type of fabric is best to use?

Ash
ernie guderjahn
View Profile
New user
Cow flop fairground
71 Posts

Profile of ernie guderjahn
Material - great question - what do you want - strength? Use marine ply (5 layer in 1/4 inch - 7 to 9 in 1/2 inch) it has been treated for weather resistance - or consider an sheet of 1/8 aluminum plate - but for years my material of preference is Sintra (the brand name for an extruded PVC product) designed for outside advertising signs, come in thickness from 1 mm to 45 mm - some thickness come already colored - it cost more than plywood, but is much lighter, sturdy and it milled (i.e. worked) with the same tools you use for wood. Holds dry wall and wood screws very well - plastic shops will often provide you with free samples so you can test it all out. Native woods are fine, i.e. ash - but more costly than ply - an edging strip (vinyl or aluminum) will give it a professional finished look and keep the edges in tact. A few years ago Mickey Hades (Canadian) came out with some excellent books on making magic tables - hope this helps
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Anyone in the UK wana make me a table top (im useless) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL