The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ethereal Mentalism with Cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
Is their such a thing? Would Reverse Gestalt Moment by Luke Jermay be considered ethereal mentalism with cards? How about any suedo hypnotic demonstration with cards?

Any suggestions about this would be great!

Thanks
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Ethereal mentalism? Educate me.
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
I doubt I can do that. I was reading a thread down in inner thoughts about this type of mentalism. It seems it is much more then "think of a name....TAMARA!", type of effects. I think the thread is on the second page down in inner thoughts. It's titled "ethereal mentalism".
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Ah. Thanks.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Confused.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1007 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On 2010-11-26 05:06, bevbevvybev wrote:
Confused.

Ethreal mentalism - A new elevated form of mentalism that deals with things above and beyond cookie cutter type routines.

Its a bit like the marks and spencer's tagline:

This isn't just any mentalism, this is ethereal mentalism.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2010-11-26 05:06, bevbevvybev wrote:
Confused.

understandable -- since the term "Ethereal" is used in many ways in general discourse and in mentalimm descriptions. There seesm to be a trend/desire to separate demonstations into those using tricks or artiface from those relying on psychological or "natural but unknown abilities."

If you use a pendulum to locate a chosen playing card it is not ethereal, and by many would be considerd "mental magic" rather than "mentalism." If, however, you get a volunteer to hold the pendulum and apparently locate a chosen object unknown to you, then it would be perceived as ethereal by many performers. We would like to beleive that the latter approach would be better received by an audience as a demonstration of psi powers, but that may be just self-serving rationalization. If you, the performer, believe it will "play better" then it will.

So, "ethereal mentalism" is not a box into which you can sort effects and store them in a closet, but a possible consideration over whether a particular effect belongs in your closet at all.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ethereal Mentalism with Cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL