The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » RISK by Francesco Tesei (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
Yes... I do.
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
Yes, me too.
I also have the ones used in the video.
They sting too, but the JT27s sting more.
I think its worth it.
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
It's really painful, or maybe I am just a big wimp. It left red marks on my arm when I tested it. I'm afraid to try it on my face or neck.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2012-10-20 13:51, Steve Haffner wrote:
It's really painful, or maybe I am just a big wimp. It left red marks on my arm when I tested it. I'm afraid to try it on my face or neck.

I'm with you. I think I may take mine apart and see if I can't file it down a bit.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
I had the stinging problem at first, but you will eventually learn to avoid holding/pressing it too closely against your skin, rather, hold it about a millimeter away from the skin. When creating the small/short distance from your skin, it still looks like you're holding it against your skin because the entire metal rail is pressed against your body surface, EXCEPT for the tip, which again you keep approx. a millimeter away from your skin(the audience cannot tell the difference).
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Quote:
On 2011-10-05 17:48, brehaut wrote:
I just watched this DVD. This is really brilliant. The best part is how fair this effect is. A real stunner! Highly recommended

Just chiming in on this. If someone could point me to the DVD that uses standard Arrow JT27 staple guns, I would be very appreciative!
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
@guyactor,
Not sure I understand your request.
The Risk DVD uses staple guns (common?) in the UK.
Here in the US, I have substituted the the JT27 staple guns for the brand Tesei uses.
I have done this for reasons listed earlier in the thread (the silver JT27s look more like staple guns - compared to the red-plastic ones in the DVD. And...they look more dangerous.) I had the ones recommended in the DVD shiped to me in the States and then decided not to use them.
I am unaware of any DVD or even any You-tube videos of anyone performing with the JT27s.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I'm not very familiar with staple guns so cannot comment as to them being common here in the UK but I went on eBay and found the exact ones used in the DVD in a few seconds for a pretty reasonable price, going back a good few months now though but I'm sure they are still about,

they work perfectly, perhaps sourcing here and shipping to the UK would save a bit of trial and error grief for those in other locations?
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Quote:
On 2012-12-23 11:56, RandyScott wrote:
@guyactor,
Not sure I understand your request.
The Risk DVD uses staple guns (common?) in the UK.
Here in the US, I have substituted the the JT27 staple guns for the brand Tesei uses.
I have done this for reasons listed earlier in the thread (the silver JT27s look more like staple guns - compared to the red-plastic ones in the DVD. And...they look more dangerous.) I had the ones recommended in the DVD shiped to me in the States and then decided not to use them.
I am unaware of any DVD or even any You-tube videos of anyone performing with the JT27s.

RandyScott - I've got access to the staple guns. Is there JUST a DVD that explains the effect, rather than purchasing the whole shebang?
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
@guyactor,

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13055

The DVD is the whole shebang. (It does not come with the staple guns. The DVD recommend a specific brand of staple gun...this has been the topic of many posts and discussion of different staple guns that would work.....not all brands/types will.)

@Olympic Adam
E-bay......of course.......I wish I would have thought of that. I was in such a hurry to obtain the staple guns, I ordered from a UK company, paid VAT(whatever that is), and paid a significant amount for shipping and handling. I'm embarrased to say that actual amount I paid for four of the recommended staple guns. Once I had tham, I didn't like the way they looked, wnet to my local hardware store, and purchased four JT27s for a fraction of the price I paid for the UK staple guns. Live and learn.
guyactor
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of guyactor
Excellent, thank you. Appreciate it RS. Merry Christmas.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Trial and error can be costly when there is a preferred version somewhere, similar problem with other apparatus, don't mind paying a little extra when I know it will save me looking and buying bad versions
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I just picked this up and I am so happy with it. I really like the routine and I think it is very powerful. Headed to get my staple guns today! Smokey Mountain Magic has a complete set up if you don't want to do the work yourself. http://www.smmagic.com/?p=527
rgnprof
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of rgnprof
I also just got this and need some help finding the right staple guns. After checking out the post by Wayne, I decided to try and use the DeWalt's pictured in their ad...but I just can't get them to work right. I was able to figure out the 'easy part', but these things sting like the devil! I tried filing, but now they are unreliable - they won't reliably fire staples at the end of the routine. I may try longer staples now that I have done some filing (only using 5/16" right now).

I have a slightly larger Arrow - Model T50P - but I don't see how to make the Arrows work - they don't load from the bottom. It looks like to me the Arrow JT27 loads the same way as my larger Arrow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ryan
RandyScott
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of RandyScott
I don't know about the T50P, but the JT27s will work.
It will sting.......but, it will work.
There are several ideas to take away some of the sting, number of stings, or where it stings.
All depends on how you routine it. It does't have to be presented as Tesei does in his performance.
Then again, if you want the full presentation (the full effect), the sting is worth it.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I just went with the suggestion from others and got the JT27 and it works fine. It does sting a bit but careful placement on your skin will keep that from happening.
rgnprof
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of rgnprof
Purchased a couple of the Arrow JT27s and I can see why they will work - interestingly, they load different than my other Arrow staple guns. Can someone PM though about how you went about 'fixing' the guns? Thanks.

My only real concern about the stinging was wanting to put this in the spectator's hands to actually 'pull' the trigger. Still probably manageable though...

ryan
rgnprof
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of rgnprof
Never mind! My eyes aren't quite what they used to be - but I finally saw what I had been missing.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I recently did this at an event and it killed! Much better than expected. Doing it again next week!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I own the egg, the scorpion, and the beer bottle "Russian Roulet", but this will be my "go-to" parlour/stage routine RR routine unless working with kids. I really love it. As you can see with my other props, I don't want to be one of those guys with a knife stuck in his hand on YouTube.

Of all these, this one is fastest to set up (save the scorpion), and it is tough, and I don't need to worry about it getting beat up, squashed, "linty" or "sticky". I think this even has more "nervous anticipation" than the beer bottle, and I don't know why. All the others require some cover, and that cover can be blown off (it has happened to me), but "RISK" can withstand heavy gusts with no problem. I don't need a lint-free rag & water to clean it, and they don't stick together or absorb colors from other props. I'm keeping my others because I am sure I will want them on occasion, but "RISK" is my worker, and it is a true "road warrior". On top of it all, if I lose a prop (and I have) a replacement is in almost every city across the US, and is cheap to replace.

After looking in Home Depot, Harbor Freight Tools, Northern Tool and Lowes Home Improvement, I settled on the Stanley Bostitch 1/4-in Manual, Anti-Jamming, Heavy Duty, Staple Gun @ $13 each. It is heavy duty as apposed to the Arrow JT27($10 each) which is called a "Junior" staple gun (and looks it). The Stanley Bostitch has "HEAVY DUTY" in large letters on it, is all metal, AND has a large window on the business end to see the staples (for those like me who want to take no chances).

By being larger (and more dangerous looking) and needing a bit stronger squeeze, it has more "show" potential - especially when using a slighter woman. The extra $12 ($3 x 4) is more than worth it.

I recommend using the 1/4 inch staples because of less friction. I took a red Sharpie and laid it on a table. The height of the "marker" point is perfect to draw a red straight line on the upside down 1/4 staples. This red line is more visible than just the staples when looking in the "window", and I don't think it detracts from the trick at all. Okay, Perhaps I'm over-cautious, but I really don't want to get stapled!

It only takes 5 seconds (literally) to "do what you need to do" with the Stanley Bostitch to make it permanently "show ready" and I tried to make it "jam-on" and couldn't.

As InnerMind said for the "sting", if you rock it back so your skin is not actually touching the staple end (close, but not quite), as seen sometimes (but not discussed) in the video, there won't be an issue. If pressed lightly on the bare skin there will be a (slight) sting. If pressed hard against your bare skin so your skin is pushed up into the mechanism, it will sting. The sting actually helps the show because you will display real concern! Smile

You can add a little levity by having your *** "stapled", and in an "adult" show, other parts too.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_308823-79992-BT1......WidgetID

KC Cameron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » RISK by Francesco Tesei (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL