The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Brian Tudors Generation X DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ewokforhire
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of ewokforhire
Gen X review

Total Running time: 65:09
Performance: 6:57
Showoff Explanation : 23:31
Hypnotic Explanation: 21:00
Triumph II Explanation: 2:31
The Man from New York Explanation: 3:51
Follow the queens Explanation: 3:51
The politician Explanation: 5:08

The set is all black with a black table and a circle of candles.

The first part of the DVD is the performance of all the effects. He doesn't talk, he just performs them real quick.

SHOWOFF: Spring spread / Dribble / Upside down spring / Pressure fan, left hand fan / One handed right fan / Revolution cut / Revolution III cut / Turn over cut / Joey Burton’s upside-down cut / Upside-down revolution III / YTBN cut / Paul David’s one-handed shuffle / One-handed fero shuffle / Castro cut / Bad habit II split fans / Swing cut / Speed cut / Simple sible / Tudor cut / Paul David’s cold deck / Better than fero (perfect riffle shuffle)

This is all the moves for the showoff routine, its just a long string of cuts and other moves. With the climax being the deck is in perfect order.

HYPNOTIC: Middle nostalgia, center pop-out / Swing set control Terry LeGerould / Darryl Snow center-to-bottom control / Backward spread / Three and four finger bottom-to-top replacement control / Three finger pull in dribble / One handed Aaron Fisher pop-out / Dribble pass / Classic pass / Swing set control / Impossible left-handed crimp location (a. top palm production b. three and four finger palm production c. turn over production d. Tudor clip production e. drop deck drag production three and four finger clip f. double production) / One-handed left crimp impossible location / Darryl Snow shoe sandwich / Three and four finger cut sandwich production / Terry LeGerould swing set control / Triple-throw sandwich production / Paul David’s sandwich flip on table / Three and four finger clip sandwich control / Terry LeGerould phantom card caper / Brother John Hammin’s three card turnover

A queen is found in the middle of the deck, then goes from top to bottom a few times, produced and vanished, then finds another queen and does a hotshot cut type thing to find the third, and the routine ends in a series of sandwhich tricks.

TRIUMPH II: Face-up and down spread / Tudor shuffle / Half-pass / Darryl Snow shoe kick-out

The same as every other triumph. Cards mixed face up and down, the last queen is the only card reversed.

THE MAN FROM NEW YORK: Multiple shift cut shuffle / Turn over, swing out, split fan-spread count / pass to half pass false shuffle / Slipcuts

The queens are put into the middle of the deck, cards are delt face up and down on to the table, and the deck is faro together face up and down, then he cuts to the 4 queens.

FOLLOW THE QUEEN: Right hand production, left hand vanish / Right hand double production, left hand double vanish / Right hand three and four finger palm, triple production single left vanish / Tudor one handed right vanish / Paul David’s muck

The 4 queens are vanished and reporduced from hand to hand, ending with the 4 queens changed into 4 aces, look at the preview video to see the preformace if you havent already.

THE POLITICIAN: Turn over three and four finger palm / Steve Forty’s blackjack turnover / Face-up DL drop / Paul David’s replacement, three and four finger / Paul David’s color change revolution / Finger spin / Spring change / Quick call card / Steve Forty’s blackjack turnover slight (again) / Terry LeGerould flick change / Throw change / Bottoms up

2 cards change places a bunch of times, there is some cool color changes in this routine.

If you like Tudors previous material, then you will like this too, more cuts, and some pretty good effects. It's a little expensive but not too bad.
There is a lot of moves on here, but you will be going back a few times to learn certain things. If you don't have any experiance with sybils, IMO its going to be a nightmare to learn them from this DVD. The camera angle is straight on for most of the explanations, and the soundtrack isn't always matching the video Smile. The image quality is good, overall I would give this a 8 out of 10.

1 thing I liked about this is Hypnotic, Triumph II, the man from New York, and follow the queen all run together in 1 routine.
The moves are pretty easy for the most part, if you don't already do the 1 hand shuffles and the sybils it will take you awhile to get those down good

That's all I can think of, if you need something cleared up I will do my to answer your questions. Smile Smile Smile
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
I am considering buying this DVD. I am unfamiliar with "sybils." Colud you define this term please? PM me if it will expose something. Thanks.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
Andrew Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Andrew Wong
Great review......very detailed! Smile
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Sybil was a five way cut from Cris Kenners totally out of control, which sadly is out of print. An occasional copy can be found on Ebay at high prices. Maybe you have a friend with an extensive library who can help you out.
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Geoff Williams from the Café has lecture notes which include the explanation of the Five Faces of Sybil. Alternatively, you might want to get Brian Tudor's Showoff series which teaches the Sybil cut as well.
ewokforhire
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of ewokforhire
Hi cardican, here are 2 clips of Bone doing 2 sybil cuts from Showoff 2. If you get Generation X you will learn both these cuts, he doesn't exactly teach the very bad habit and what the h... happen to sybil, but there is a new cut which mixes both concepts, its called "What the h..." and is very cool. Take a look at the clips, some people don't really like this so make sure you want to do it, it takes a little practice to get down fast. Smile

http://www.vnfamily.com/files/Bone-Cut-W......BIL2.WMV

http://www.vnfamily.com/files/Bone-Cut-V......alse.WMV
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
Kingry, Dillib, and Ewokforhire - thanks for all your help. The clips were impressive.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
ewokforhire
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of ewokforhire
I just wanted to add that I said that the performace of all the routines is only 7 minutes, but Brian is going REALLY fast, with no patter, so in reality the routines will last much longer then 7 mins. Smile
mack10
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of mack10
Great review!

Sybils has been done A LOT from many different artists. The BEST sybil is rumored to be De'vo's Cradle to Grave routine which is being released in a month! It is also supposed to add a different spin to sybils that will change the way you think about them.

I'll get a chance to see Tudor's DVD and will post my review when I get back home.
Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
Wow that's a really great review. Do you know if all the effects can be done with small hands because I can't do all his manipulations in show off 2. So will it be the same in this DDV, is it just for big handS?
estragon22
View Profile
New user
Ireland
81 Posts

Profile of estragon22
Thanks for the great review, Ewokforhire. Can you tell me if the YTBN cut taught on this DVD is the same as that on SHOW-OFF 2. Its just that you say that the climax is showing that the card order hasn't changed, and as far as I can remember the YTBN taught on SHOW-OFF 2 isn't an entirely false cut.
ewokforhire
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of ewokforhire
Jemy : Please post the moves you have trouble with off showoff 2 and i will do my best to tell you if you will have a hard time, there is a lot of the same moves on showoff and the new dvd. Aaron Fisher pop out, all the sybils, ytbn cut, 1 hand rev, 1 hand rev 2, are all on both videos.

estragon22 : Yes it is the same cut, read the list of tricks for the showoff routine, you will see how the deck ends in new deck order Smile
estragon22
View Profile
New user
Ireland
81 Posts

Profile of estragon22
Thanks, ewokforhire
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
First let me start off by saying that I like Brian Tudor, and his previous videos. He has tremendous skill!

This new DVD has MANY moves in it, many flourishes from his previous videos, and new items.

The Good: I loved the Tudor cut, very fast, and looks GREAT! The performance video was extremely FAST! The sybils were the fastest I have ever seen! All routines were all done to music, and no patter which was refreshing.

The BAD: There were many moves taught, but not much time was taken to explain each. The angles were very bad at times, lighting was an issue, some bluring, and the constant mono-tone voice, not in sync was unproductive and frustrating.

The magic: Again, many, many moves, I think that he has some clever ideas, but the performance video of the magic had mixed results. Some were very smooth, and some were not. It made you think if you really wanted to put the time into something that may or may not work or be smooth. I think though that there are enough fresh ideas to help out a veteran card worker.

The Flourishes: Most were variations of his older moves. The performance was very quick, and some seemed too quick and not smooth enough! Seemed that there could be a lack of accurate crediting at times, even with the magic moves.

This DVD was a mix of flourishes and magic. I wish the editing, and clarity were better. The explainations were over-dubbed to the moves in slow-mo from one angle, usually the right side. I couldn't watch them for too long and you will be rewinding frequently and tilting your head hoping the camera will turn to see the proper angles. Although I have to say that I think it teaches a little better than Show Off 1. At least the over the shoulder/right side shots show more than dead on.

In conclusion, the DVD has many moves, and several magical routines, flourishes and the like. Some were workers, and some were not. Some required the use of a table and have many bad angles. All will required tons of practice! Some flourishes were worthwhile as well as several sleights. But the teaching/editing/production in my oppinion was below subpar.

I give it 6 out of 10 Hats.

Cardjinx
Bone
View Profile
Loyal user
Totally lost...
264 Posts

Profile of Bone
Yo Ewok,

The ShowOFF routine is beautiful, I really love the whole video.

The "What the Hell" seems the most difficult cut to get the REAL speed, besides, TUDOR CUT and CASTROL cut are brilliant too.

GENERATION X is Exellent.

Peace,

Bone.
P.S Hey yo, I hate some who are comparing this with Superhandz stuff. I'm waiting to pre-order Cradle to the Grave by De'Vo too. Man, what do you think ?
Email: bone@boneho.com

myspace.com/boneho
youtube.com/boneho
twitter.com/boneho
facebook.com/boneho

Official Website:
www.boneho.com
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
Yep, De'vo's Cradle to Grave will be the BOMB! I don't think anyone is comparing them though... One is a magician, and one a flourisher. Can't really compare apples to oranges. - besides, I think De'vo will have a hand in Brians next DVD. They both are GREAT!

Cardjinx Smile
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:
On 2003-07-31 14:12, Cardjinx wrote:
Yep, De'vo's Cradle to Grave will be the BOMB! I don't think anyone is comparing them though... One is a magician, and one a flourisher. Can't really compare apples to oranges. - besides, I think De'vo will have a hand in Brians next DVD. They both are GREAT!

Cardjinx Smile

Will cradle to the grave be commercially distributed to magic shops, or will you need to order it at Devo's site when it does come out?
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
You have to order it directly from him.
Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
I have show off 2 and i have difficulty to do correctly the ytbn cause my finger are not long enough i guess, I will pass my way on this dvd for the moment and practice more the one I have.
Thanks ewokforhire to be helpfull
Smile
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
I'm not sure if Cradle to Grave will hit the shops or not. De'vo was talking about the possibility on handlordz forum. But it's always best to buy from the artist anyway. It should be sold on superhandz and handlordz.

-I think a preview is being released really soon!

-And I also had trouble learning the same cut from Tudor, the explainations are just really difficult to learn from.

Cardjinx Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Brian Tudors Generation X DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL