We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making a Zombie Gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Wrap plastic/rubber tubing around the coils to save your finger.

Should have said, "slide plastic/rubber tubing over the wire".
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
Melinda's was a double fingered Owen Gimmick, it provided much control, especially because ladies and certain male performers have smaller fingers.

The ball was permanently attached. And was covered in shoelace.

Just my 2 cents!

--Vinny
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2010-12-01 12:31, Cyberqat wrote:
I use the broom handle and then adjust with a pair of needle nose pliers.

YMMV

You could also go to the hardware store store and find a piece of dowel rod that is the same size as your finger...wrap the wire around that...no adjustment necessary!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
If you're still building this... I made one using shrink tubing to cover the wire "hanger" portion. I made it like a typical zombie except I hooked a battery and switch up to it. I turned the "cork" portion into a flash pot. Hence, the need for shrink tubing to hide the wires going down the gimmick.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Interesting idea, Metropolis! I assume you finish the routine with a flash?
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Nope... It was just an idea and something I wanted to make. My routine at the time was the first one that I came up with and was powerful enough, it didn't need any extra. I took the minimalist approach on it so just it rising a couple of feet seemed like a gigantic feat. I also had a system rigged on my table for stealing the gimmick as I was moving the foulard over the top and ditching it in just the same way. So, I started clean and ended clean. I just love the simple elegance of the zombie and think the illusion is ruined by making it "play games" with you... dance around your body etc. So, the flash gimmick was just a weekend project. It is finished, it works, just never use it. I also should put a safety system in it... an additional toggle switch alongside the momentary... I also had a fear of it going off inside the ball... Totally destroying the effect, along with the ball as it launches out into the audience. :-/
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice".-Joseph Dunninger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wL5fX3xGQ
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
Oh, one last thing. I think I remember seeing a gimmick about 20 years ago or so that was made from square telescopic tubing. I have seen the tubing at hardware stores and tried to make my own, the only issue I ran into was, I couldn't figure out a way to stop the brass tubes from telescoping. The circular telescopic "antennas" have a way of doing this. If anyone has ideas on this route or if you remember or have seen this gimmick please let me know.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Mr. M

In highschool I also built a "catcher" on the back of my table to ditch the gimmick.

I used a Styrofoam "Miracle Ball" which as small enough tht I could ditch the ball itself in a well. I'd make a ball like shape with my left hand under the cloth, "carry" it with my right hand out to the midel of the audience, then toss it in the air and "vanish" it Asrah style.

I now own multiple balls, but none are small enough to ditch in my table top or fake with a hand under the cloth.:/ I've tried a few times to come up with an Asrah-like gimmick for the cloth but so far I havent had much success.

for that reason I still get drawn back to my old Miracle Ball.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I used a long thumb tip and wrapped the wire around that, then poured some construction adhesiveon the outside to seal them together. I then painted that part flesh color and the wire & cork black. This allows your fingers to be in front of the cloth, you have great control with just a pinch of cloth between thumb and forefinger. I drilled a small hole in the thumb tip to prevent air pressure problems, so it goes right on and off. This method has much less finger strain for me.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-03-29 13:05, Cyberqat wrote:
Mr. M

In highschool I also built a "catcher" on the back of my table to ditch the gimmick.

I used a Styrofoam "Miracle Ball" which as small enough tht I could ditch the ball itself in a well. I'd make a ball like shape with my left hand under the cloth, "carry" it with my right hand out to the midel of the audience, then toss it in the air and "vanish" it Asrah style.

I now own multiple balls, but none are small enough to ditch in my table top or fake with a hand under the cloth.:/ I've tried a few times to come up with an Asrah-like gimmick for the cloth but so far I havent had much success.

for that reason I still get drawn back to my old Miracle Ball.

I had "Miracle Ball" when I was a kid. Loved it! Where can you buy that type of styrofoam ball now? It had a slick finish. All the styrofoam balls I find in stores now are that rough, crumbly styrofoam... lousy for the trick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mrmetropolis
View Profile
Regular user
who has only made
155 Posts

Profile of mrmetropolis
[/quote]

I had "Miracle Ball" when I was a kid. Loved it! Where can you buy that type of styrofoam ball now? It had a slick finish. All the styrofoam balls I find in stores now are that rough, crumbly styrofoam... lousy for the trick.
[/quote]

A quick coat of paper mache would slick it up.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2011-04-04 22:07, mrmetropolis wrote:

[/quote]
A quick coat of paper mache would slick it up.
[/quote]
I just read in the April issue of the Linking Ring that they have released the "dream Zombie", which is a plastic ball that has a polished chrome finish, and apparently hard to distinguish from the metal ones. They only weigh three ounces, don't dent or come apart, and the kit is advertised at $35, which includes ball, gimmick, foulard and stand.

Can't remember who makes it, though.

Just went back and looked. It is made by FAB Magic.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Quote:

Just depends on the craft store. I found the smooth ones at an independent place near me.

BTW, I replaced my smaller "Miracle Ball" with a larger one; removing the gimmick from the first and inserting it in the second. Works great!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-06-14 23:53, jnrussell wrote:
Quote:

Just depends on the craft store. I found the smooth ones at an independent place near me.

BTW, I replaced my smaller "Miracle Ball" with a larger one; removing the gimmick from the first and inserting it in the second. Works great!

Thanks! At least I know now they are out there somewhere.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making a Zombie Gimmick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL