The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Did you see that? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
A really great book about how our brains are programmed to perceive and accept what is around us. Shocking how easily we are fooled into accepting something that is not what it seems to be.
Even more shocking how much we don't see.

Or see something that clearly is not what we think it is.

Have you ever placed your keys or sunglasses someplace you normally do not set them down, and then looked around for them, when in fact you've already looked directly at where they are and not seen them?

I think there are some interesting applications to understand that are great for what we do.

It's amazing how our brains really see what we want to based on what we've seen before.

If you put an apple down on the table during a discussion with someone, keep them engaged in conversation and casually pick it up and replace it with a pear, 75% of the time the person across from you will accept that there was always a pear there.

I know a lot of this is not new to you guys, but this book is very cool.

http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
This is why "eye witness" testimony is so unreliable. But try telling that to this nations prosecutors.

Cheers.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Roth

This looks like an excellent resource. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
Frank
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Thanks, Rick! This definitely looks like a winner, and coming from you a recommendation I'm definitely looking into.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
A video that illustrates this phenomenon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

and another by the authors of the book mentioned above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 07:47, jdmagic357 wrote:
This is why "eye witness" testimony is so unreliable. But try telling that to this nations prosecutors.

Cheers.

Suggesting to prosecutors that they should forego their reliance on eyewitness testimony would be a waste of time. Bear in mind that the job of a prosecutor is to obtain a conviction, just as the job of the defense attorney is to secure an acquital. The pursuit of justice is the purview of the judge and jury and THEY are the ones who need to be reminded of the unreliability of eyewitness testimony. Any interest in that objective on the part of the opposing attorneys, especially the prosecutors, is secondary.

BTW, several other recently published books that also address the subject of cognitive/perceptual psychology from slightly different perspectives include "Sleights of Mind" by Stephen Macknik & Susaa Martinez-Conde and "On Second Thought" by Wray Herbert.

It is, of course, unlikely that any of those books will enjoy wide readership among subscribers to the Café as they are not on DVD and don't include any videos of unshaven guys in T-shirts accosting strangers on the street to show them magic tricks.
Dick Christian
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Similarly, Richard Wiseman's book "Did You Spot The Gorilla" covers some of the same material. Wiseman is also a 'magic' hobbyist, and a Derren Brown associate (his influence on some of Brown's "Evening Of Wonders" show, was quite strong).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Did-You-Spot-Gor......4&sr=8-1

"Quirkology" is also an excellent Wiseman book.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
The official videos from the book are here

http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/videos.html

DB fans will note that the Door Study is VERY familiar Smile
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
The first time I saw this (the first one Mind Guerrilla mentioned) I did miss the freakin' gorilla completely. Of course this was not due to any deficit in my thought processes but rather to my astonishing powers of concentration.

You know that 800 pound gorilla sitting in the room that nobody wants to talk about? I can make him completely disappear.

BTW, has anyone seen Mind Guerrilla lately? I don't see him anywhere.

Dick Christian has left the building (R.I.P) but if he were with us today I would point out that he described only the de facto situation. The job of a prosecutor, de jure, is to discover the truth whether or not it results in a conviction. Really.

But Dick described exactly how things work in the real world. A prosecutor doesn't make attorney general or governor or president by preventing the conviction of innocent men. I think the job of prosecutor, district attorney, state's attorney or whatever your jurisdiction calls the job, should be a political dead end. If you ever work as one you are forever barred from seeking any other political office.

I think we'd all be better off.

We now rejoin our thread already in progress...
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
I have long been a fan of the principle of "hiding something in plain sight." many fine magic routines follow this idea. Tamirez talks about the bullfight ring and how what is to be seen is in the sunlight and the things - out in the open - but nevertheless is in the shadows and not noticed.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
My last show 'An Evening of Enchantment' has a revelation in plain sight as part of the programme handed out to the audience and sits on a powerpoint slide throughout the effect related to the revelation. I have used this principle with a clock in plain view throughout the show as well. Reactions are wonderful. Ian Rowland has shared a wonderful idea on this as well using a block of text, which I have modified to use powerpoint and the notion of 'framing'...

Cheers

Dr Todd
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
This one really blew my mind the first time I saw it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAntzB7EwE

Watch the whole thing!
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Love that trick! Smile
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
[quote]. Wiseman is also a 'magic' hobbyist, [quote]
As a Member of the Magic Circle and a past Magic Castle performer (and possibly lecturer) I think the term "Hobbyist" is a slight understatement.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Did you see that? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL