The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Large sponge ball shell? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VE Day
View Profile
New user
LONDON, England, UK
93 Posts

Profile of VE Day
Hello folks,

The other week, after not going near them for so long I picked up some sponge balls again for the first time in about 15 years and put together a nice routine that I'm happy with, plenty of comedy in it and I'm fairly confident with it at this stage.

I always think the opening of a routine is vitally important and to open this routine I do a bit of business with multiplying the sponge balls, the same as the classic multiplying billiard ball routine except using 2" sponge balls, so I am looking all over for a shell for my 2 inch sponge balls.

Unfortunately in UK I can only find small sized shells that are made by Albert Goshman in 1.5inch size (ping pong ball size), which I think is too small and I don't want to downsize the routine to fit the shell.

At the moment I am using a rough and ready shell that I stuck together which is fine for rehearsal but won't be good enough for performance.
Please does anyone know where I can buy a ready made sponge ball shell in large size 2inches?
I can make one myself but it'll be an unnecessary pain to get exactly perfect if I can just buy one ready made.

Hope you can help.

Thank you.

Victoria.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You kind of defeat the purpose of the idea behind multiplying sponge balls used as the classic trick with solid balls. I do not know very many people that can hold a 2" spong ball without causing the sides to collasp inward. The reason for sponge balls using this way was originally to help people that could not use the solid balls without dropping them. Thus the creation of sponge balls so that a person could perform this feat without months of conditioning their hands for the use of solid balls.

That is one reason the balls are made in 1.5", as if the audience sees your fingers squeezing them they will assume many different ways that a person could accomplish the trick.

Thus due to the sponge material, some performers have combined this classic trick with features of spong ball magic. Creating totally new multiplying ball routines using various principles. Taking away the mystery of the multiplying balls and into a 'just for your enjoyment' type of display, as it is taken out of the magic catagory when the audience can see the balls collasping in your hands and fingers when used on stand-up plateform type of performance.

I do not know of any current manufacturer makeing a 2" shell for the purpose of performing a multiplying ball routine between the fingers. I would think that ladies small fingers would more then compensate for the difference in size, when comparied to a mans fingers when holding balls.

In the end ball size does not matter, it is the success of the routine, moves and performance that matter when performing magic.

I have found that Daytona Magic shells only a 1.5" size sponge ball set here: http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/MUL......LLS.html

I would think this size would be perfect for the performance of a ball between fingers effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Large sponge ball shell? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL