The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Blue Room (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of illusionist333
Hi everyone,
A beautiful illusion if presented properly is the Blue Room. I know the method behind the illusion but was looking for the Gennii Magazine with the article about the blue room illusion. I believe it was back in the early 90's. Does anyone have a copy of that magazine or would be willing to make me some photo copies? Thanks!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There was a thread on another part of the Café, a couple of years back, about someone making a portable version of it. I know I'd use it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
illusionist333
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of illusionist333
Yeah I heard of that too.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2010-12-03 12:01, Harley Newman wrote:
There was a thread on another part of the Café, a couple of years back, about someone making a portable version of it. I know I'd use it.

That would truly be something. The only one I have ever seen is the one built in Tellers house. It looked like he could walk though walls.

Cheers.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I don't know about GENII but I have the January 1996 issue of MAGIC, whose cover story is the recreation of "The Blue Room" by the Los Angeles Conference on Magic.

The effect is also discussed (under the name, "Metempsychosis") in the 1898 book "Magic: Stage Illusions and Scientific Diversions, Including Trick Photography," which was republished earlier this year:
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Illusions-Sc......3&sr=8-2

This book was also published in 1976 under the title, "Magic: Stage Illusions, Special Effects and Trick Photography." A paperback version bearing this same title appeared in the 1990s.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1135 Posts

Profile of Jerry
There is also a scanned public domain version of "Magic:Stage Illusions ect..", goggle books if I am not mistaken. Worthy of an Internet search
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There's also a Youtube clip.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2010-12-03 21:14, Jerry wrote:
There is also a scanned public domain version of "Magic:Stage Illusions ect..", goggle books if I am not mistaken. Worthy of an Internet search

At your service! Smile
http://www.archive.org/details/magicstageillusi00hopk

This link offers 8 different versions including an online version, PDF and Kindle. The effect appears on page 532.

I just re-read the MAGIC article. Anyone contemplating staging this effect should probably heed the following:
"The greatest drawback to the illusion is that the stage on which it is worked must be built expressly for it , and everything constructed and put together with mathematical precision."

Using a custom-made mirror 7' high and 9' long (costing over $1,000 at the time), The Los Angeles Conference on Magic assembled a room/stage which accommodated an audience of 44.

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 11:48pm
Quote:

On 2010-12-03 21:33, Harley Newman wrote:
There's also a Youtube clip.

It also appears on the Lance Burton THE SECRETS OF MAGIC DVD. Don't let the title fool you, though. This is performance only.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I saw the Blue Room that was done at the history conference. It was quite wonderful, but the fact that only a couple of dozen people could see it at a time limited its practicality. Unless it was a table top version, there would be no way to make it portable. There are a number of advances in gradated mylar currently available that would allow for a cheap version to be made, but getting the optical effect perfect (and anything less than perfect ruins the effect) is very painstaking. The cousin of the blue room, Pepper's Ghost, is much more practical (though still difficult to do well.)
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
I don't see the PORTABILITY aspect of the ones being discussed? Perhaps there's something new we're missing?
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There's nothing portable about a Blue Room set up. It is something that must be built in to wherever it is being done. The one done at the history conference probably took a least a couple of days (or longer) to set up.
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
There is a version of Pepper's Ghost in the Haunted Mansion at Disney World and Disneyland.

Does anyone know if it is also used at the new Harry Potter theme park?
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
358 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Bill,

I haven't experienced it but my guess is "no". Harry Potter is real magic, but then like you, I am above a certain age and believe in stuff like that.

Beat to you and Alice.

Lary/TEB3

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 10:41pm
Darn fingers on the keyboard!!!

BEST to you and Alice!

Back now into the cave in de hidden forest.

Lary
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
The Haunted Mansion in Disneyland is also the LEAST PORTABLE example of the above type of illusion!

Chris
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I am curious to hear an opinion. Is the circus cage style illusion of a beautiful girl transforming to a gorilla considered a portable version of the blue room? It was transported from fairground to fairground ans various venues.

Kotah
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That's Pepper at work.

www.bladewalker.com
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4378 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2010-12-05 00:01, handa wrote:
The Haunted Mansion in Disneyland is also the LEAST PORTABLE example of the above type of illusion!

I believe it's also the largest.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
Is there any truth to the story that the Anaheim (a.k.a. Original) Mansion has a glass pane with a crack in it, and that the crack has been camoflaged to look like a spider web because they would have to take the roof off of the show building in order to replace the pane?

I read this somewhere once, but can't find reference to it at present on snopes or another credible site.

Chris
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1135 Posts

Profile of Jerry
TRUE

Apparently some time back in 1973/74 !@#$%^& took a shot at the glass and instead of replacing the entire section they covered it up with spider webs. We seem to have a surplus of these sheetheads.

Source:
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/disneyland/......ion.html
Read # 66 entry.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Perhaps , rather than a single large pane of glass or plexiglass, a folding screen made from several frames holding plexiglass panels would make the illusion portable? the frames disguised to resemble prison bars/ portals or windows of some sort.

Kotah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Blue Room (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL