The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Ghost Lamp gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
M****t = Midget, right? What the heck have dwarfs to do with this trick Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
... if you read the instructions you would see that you insert the mid$%t five cards above the m@#$%t block...
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
There are no laymen reading this thread who are going to recognize a Scotty York Lamp and then connect that with the word MAGNET used here.

Stop worrying about exposure and spend the time working on your presenation to make this trick the killer that it can be. The absolute best way is to place the bulb in a hanky, which is then held by the corners by the spectators so the bulb hangs down in the center. This adds mystery to the effect when the bulb illuminates, and the hands-off aspect makes it that much more amazing.

What's really too bad is that the Tenyo bulb does not resemble any regular bulb commonly available in the US (though in Japan it does). Scotty would always end his presentation by switching the bulb, then signing the real one and giving it to the spectator as a souvenir. Perfection in presentation.

I will tell you that it is possible to take the Tenyo gimmick and with a bit of work get it inside the type of bulb sold in the US. Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I agreee on the hanky presenatation as being the best. In Canada the bulb exactly resembles a 7 watt appliance bulb, commonly available in most stores. I am suprised a similar bulb is not used in the U.S.

On exposure agree on this topic. Howvever I do feel that methods are freely or inadverently exposed on many threads which is bad for magic and in many cases unfair to the inventor/producer. So if sometimes it looks silly I am good with it. Try googling a number effects and Magic Café discussions are frequently one of the first things to pop up. Granted the person really wants to find out the method but this issue will only continue to escalate. I realize all do not agree on this.

Cheers,

John
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
I believe that anyone who cares enough to find their way to these boards cares about magic.
They have the curiosity and drive to want to know more. They want to learn. They are the ones who want to come to your shows. They are the ones who help keep the craft alive and moving forward. Or, they are the hobbyists (like me) who just love the art, and want to know more. (I don't remember who said this but) "Knowing how the sun comes up every morning doesn't make it any less magical."
& I agree with Richard who alluded to the fact that we spend more time dancing around talking about the gimmick than we do getting to the point and making the magic better.
PS- Richard, thanks for saying 'MAGNET'. It was cathartic Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Ed believe me I love magic as much as anyone, just happen to believe that the sloppy exposre on the Café in general shows disrespect for the craft and in many cases the inventors. Not trying to get on a soap box and I know opinions vary.

Cheers

John
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Ed believe me I love magic as much as anyone, just happen to believe that the sloppy exposre on the Café in general shows disrespect for the craft and in many cases the inventors. Not trying to get on a soap box and I know opinions vary.

Cheers

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Ghost Lamp gimmick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL