The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Art of Astonishment book 1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I know I'll get slammed for this but I'm very disappointed with this book. The majority of the tricks seem unrealistic to perform in the real word.

I know that some are above my skill level but over all I'm disappointed.

Does any one agree with me? What tricks in this book do you perform on a regular basis?
Thanks, Brian Smile
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I don't think you'll get slammed. I just don't think that you'll get anyone to agree with you. Also, I think that you'll find many of the tricks are within almost anyone's skill level. Out of the three books, I think that this one is the best. Here are some effects that I do regularily from it.

Backlash
Colour Stunner
Flip Flop Plop (not a trick)
Solid Deception (Worth your time to make)
Double Monte (not a favorite, but good)
Reset
Las Vegas Split
Vacuum Cleaner Cards
Las Vegas Leaper/Leap of Faith
Gambler vs. ......
Cros Twist
Cardician's Blendo
Interlaced Vanish
ReCAp

and I can't wait to try 411. I always keep forgetting.

I'm not much of a coin guy, but there are some great coin tricks. His giant killer coin is good.

There are so many effects in these books. Just a week ago I looked at Interlaced vanish for the first time. I was amazed that I didn't look at it during one of the first hundred times I read the book. It's one of the strongest tricks in the trilogy.

There is my list. I imagine I left some out. I would love to see what others like from this book.

Trevor
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Bg, trust me, you'll grow to like it. It's probably just all the hype that surrounds them. But these books are full of great material that can be performed in the real world. Just keep reading and trying out the effects. You'll be glad you did.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Hi,

To be honest, the effects really aren't that difficult to pull off. You say they may be above your skill level. Maybe you are just starting out in magic, so they may seem daunting. If not, then try them and you'll see that they are worth the money many times over, and can be accomplished with not much effort in comparison to other effects.

Regards
XpresoAdct
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of XpresoAdct
I love "Bizarre Twist" and all of its variations. Try those out, my audiences have always loved those.
Enjoy,
Paul
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
bg: How long did have you have these books when you wrote this subject?
Jonatan Bank
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I only have book one and I've had it for about 3 months. The only trick I've been using from it is Buck Naked. I haven't completely worked my way through the book yet. But the tricks that interest me seem very difficult to pull off which is what I mean by unrealistic to perform in real world situations.

These seem like tricks you would perform for your magi buddies to show your sleight skills rather than having a wow effect on the layman. I know most will disagree with me and maybe Harris' magic is not my style. I wish I had bought Ammars book instead.
Thanks for the replies, Brian Smile
jazzman
View Profile
New user
manchester, UK
69 Posts

Profile of jazzman
Personally I find that the effects contained in AOA 1 do not require any knucklebusting sleights and are quite easy to pull off, as long as you practice the effect thoroughly of course.
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I only have AOA 1, planning to get the third. The first time I opened my package with AOA in it, I was very upset. I thought I wasted my money on a stupid book. After skimming through and looking at some tricks that would be worth my time I read. Now I still read the tricks I perform every day and look if there was something I missed to improve it.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Art of Astonishment book 1 (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL