The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many trips does it take to carry in your show? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
724 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Al- you got me beat by a mile, or should I say several. It takes me about 20 minutes to set up, about 15 to tear down, and my full size Ford van gets about 15 miles to the gallon.
Bob.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
One trip regardless of venue.

Birthday parties is a valise and a folding chair. Setup time 1 minute. I don't use a backdrop or sound system for home shows as I'm rarely in a house where a backdrop would work and I'd feel goofy using amplification in someones living room.

Library and festival shows where I use a backdrop and larger props I use one of these to pack my equipment in

I find it works better than the convertible hand trucks as it has sides and the large wheels make going over curbs or uneven ground a breeze.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Julie Carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
Watford
139 Posts

Profile of Julie Carpenter
For a 2 hour show its 6 trips.
My carry on box is in 2 parts and I don't trust the wheels
The bear and a few bits go in the next box
PA
Rabbit
Box of circus skills stuff for the 2nd half

I do have pull up banners but ive got lazy and only get them out for corporate events
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Kimmo,

You, Jimbo, Dave, and Chris Capehart all have something unique in you little box of tricks. You guys are super funny.

What Dave and you did during the Gala Show at KIDabra is going to be tough to beat. I am still smiling thinking about how funny it was.
Your lecture was tops, and natural talent is universal on both sides of the ocean.

I laugh so long and hard who cares about the backdrop, I am focused on Charlie.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
My answer is "however many it takes." While I fully understand the desire to be efficient, especially if you are doing multiple shows a day, I figure the SHOW is more important than how many trips it takes to carry it in. So you spend at additional 4 minutes ... oh, boo hoo.

With birthdays and smaller shows I carry just my case; that may change now that I have the SMM pizza trick as it does not fit into the case. We'll see.

I looked at many of the carts described/shown here. I almost bought the convertible handtruck dolly Frank posted and I am glad I didn't. On the suggestion of a friend, I ended up buying a gardener's wagon. It has sides that the handtruck-style don't, the sides fold down in the event you have wider items to cart, the air-inflated wheels are nice and big and easily go over most thresholds, the wheels are UNDER the cart so it turns on a dime, and it fits through doorways.

The drawbacks are that it is more difficult than a handtruck if you are going up stairs, but in this age of handicapped-accessible buildings this has not yet been an issue. It's still a little awkward getting in and out of a vehicle, but I have a minivan so it's not too big of a problem, particularly if I can pull up to a curb. Perhaps not the perfect solution, but the best I have found so far.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
One trip and one hand, leaving one hand free to ring the doorbell. And I can start immediately. That includes the puppet and the sixteen watt amp.
For bigger venues I need the second hand for the 75 watt amp.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Frank beat me to the reccomendation of the Rock n Roller Mini Cart. One of the best things I ever bought for working. See: http://www.multicart.com/ They come in various sizes but I've only ever used the mini.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
To heck with performing. I will use the Rock n Roller Mini Cart in my SHOP!
That's a great rig for a great price.
I would have snatched this up in a second back in my performing days...but there was no Magic Café then... no internet...we rode horses...with at least 90 miles of country dirt road between shows...and...
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Starrpower
Have you thought of how you are going to hide that Pizza Box from the kids that swarm you after the show, and you know they will all rush to your Pizza Box. The gun case that Dave bought is the way I'm going.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I'll hide it in my pants.

Speaking of which, there is a magician on Youtube doing the pizza trick and the pizza reappears in his pants. Not all the way in his pants, but sticking up by the "plumber's crack" in back. There something, um ... well, distasteful about that. I guess technically you could say it's the lower back region, but any way you slice it, it's down his pants. Let's just say I wouldn't wanna shake the guy's hand after show.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2650 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2010-12-05 15:40, Chance Wolf wrote:
there was no Magic Café then... no internet...we rode horses...with at least 90 miles of country dirt road between shows...and...

Hey Chance, you shouldn't done school shows.
They were only five miles apart. We all just walked to school.

Tom

:)
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
For birthday parties, I do that in one trip. For larger shows I like to use this.

Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I find that I need to carry my microphone lots more than I need my amp. Usually if the crowd is too big for me to go un amplified, they already have a PA set up, and all I have to do is just plug my lavalier in.

WOW Scott
Talk about heavy equipment.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I'm embarrassed to say: 2 trips.

I've got a few awkwardly shaped things that I could probably balance on top my rolling table...but it seems a better choice for me to make two leisurely trips rather than one trip grunting, sweating, and wrestling with doors, curbs, and a precarious tower of props. : )

-Daniel
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Of course, if you plan to do the entire Wolfs Magic Show..
then you may need this... Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Birthday parties - 2 trips
full stage illusion show- 30 minutes and lost count of how many trips

have a merry christmas everyone
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Even tho I only take one trip, I care less about how many trips and more about how quickly I can get things setup/taken-down. That is where I want everything precise.

My setup time involves unzipping a custom little bag/case I had made that holds exactly what I want how I want it, taking out the items and putting them
in my pockets or wherever I need them. When that case is empty, I'm ready. When I'm done, I make sure that case it put back exactly how it needs to
be for the next show. Total time about 1 minute before and after.

I've found that once I started using that case it's made getting into and out of my show all that much easier. Less stress and worry. It's like a physical checklist.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3645 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
One minute is very fast!

- Mary
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I can do a ropes, coins and juggling show with a brief case for older children or adults which only needs one trip. Most of my shows are filled with rabbit production boxes (J. D. Robbins Deluxe Bunny Box or 3D TV), Chair suspension, square circle, Axtel fx boards etc. the bulky fun to look at type stuff I choose to use for lower elementary age school assembly shows and birthday parties using a stage at an amusment business. Most of the time it is at our location, but when I lug it all to a school or library I am able to get it all in a Ford Taurus and I need 3 trips on a well balanced rolling cart.

I carry a small battery powered amp suitable for a couple hundred people if needed.

So for a typical Habu bells n whitles show with a 10'X10' portable stage, amp and props (I don't have lighting or foggers Smile )it is usually possible with 3 trips.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Birthday parties - two or three trips, depending on the show type

Shows with sound, lights and backdrop - two additional trips
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many trips does it take to carry in your show? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL