The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many trips does it take to carry in your show? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
0!

Well, my stuff's on wheels so no carrying is involved.

Unless I've got my amp, then it's one.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I did a birthday party show (super deluxe Smile) Sunday with my wife who did face painting. Between the two of us we made 5 trips.

Do I win a prize?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Ken, Dynamike beat you buy a mile!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
3 different sized kids shows meaning 1 trip for the small (also for the park) two for the medium and 5 for the big. The illusion show takes 4 people about 9 trips each, and I have three of those. Sometimes a corporate show that fits in the car still takes 7 or 8 trips with a cart especially if it's on the second floor and there's no elevator.

Click here to view attached image.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2225 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Ok, I give up! Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Typical b-day party show, three trips:
1. two suitcases, one with most of my props; one with my large puppet
2. two tables, one for the props; one holds the suitcase with the puppet.
3. "ditch" box containing portable fan, PB&J props, small sound system

Bigger shows, one more trip for large speaker and speaker stand.

As for a rolling case, which I've considered, I've run into so many gigs with innumerable steep steps (and sometimes winding staircases) that I'd kill myself trying to haul it up those step. I had a show two weeks ago on Capitol Hill where the entrance to the house was up a steep flight of wooden steps to the second story.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
The number of trips we make vary depending on the particular show we are doing and the venue itself. We have a cart with pneumatic wheels that we use for our larger shows if it will work at a particular venue, as we often have to stair carry our props and the cart would be no help at all.
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 13:19, magicgeorge wrote:
Ken, Dynamike beat you buy a mile!

I've just realised that was in a different thread! He said 10 trips so doubles Ken's record!
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
For birthday parties--I make one trip. There is an inverse relationship between the number of trips to the car--and the number of shows you can do in one day. There is a direct relationship between the number of trips to the car--and your level of fatigue at the end of the day.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 17:14, Cesar Munoz wrote:
For birthday parties--I make one trip. There is an inverse relationship between the number of trips to the car--and the number of shows you can do in one day. There is a direct relationship between the number of trips to the car--and your level of fatigue at the end of the day.

Spoken like a true pro.
Bill Knight
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
318 Posts

Profile of Bill Knight
I am sorry, but I have to disagree. I use the set up time(getting stuff from the car & getting the show ready) to get myself ready to do the show and the strip down / pack up time to chill ready for the next show. Please understand that I mean no negative to people who work in a different way, it's just that this way works really well for me.

Have fun
Bill
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
www.magicbill.co.uk
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Cesar,

In addition to your magic props, does your one trip also include your chair suspension? If so, I'm really impressed.

I do agree with you in that, "There is a direct relationship between the number of trips to the car--and your level of fatigue at the end of the day."

And, while it takes me several trips in order to carry in my show, I'm not so sure that really factors into how many shows I can or will perform on a given day. I can't speak for others, but I always like to allow extra time just for travel. To me, you just have to factor in extra time for traffic congestition, which seems to get worse every year. So that alone, at least for me, limits the number of shows I can or will perform on any give day.

It's funny because when I was creating my show I never once approached it from the viewpoint of making just one trip to my car. My approach was to create a show that represented my dream show and a show that every kid would want for their own birthday parties. As it turned out, that dream just didn't fit into a little box. Smile

Gerry
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
761 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
This thread is going to change my marketing............ "MY SHOW SUCKS BUT I ONLY MAKE ONE TRIP TO MY CAR" ******* CALL NOW *********
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I Use this for Birthday parties. I tape a handwritten sign over the side and put up two of those pull up type banners...still it ends up being two trips.

Click here to view attached image.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
Tony--thanks!
Gerry--the one trip includes my chair suspension. I have a soft golf travel bag with wheels that accommodates the suspension plus some other stuff. I carry 2 shoulder bags that contain my PA system. When I first got into this business I read Professional Magic For Children by David Ginn. One of the last chapters gave advice on what to carry for a kid's party. His suggestion was that the entire show fit in one bag. I didn't know any better--so I just did what I was told. For many years, my entire show fit into a small briefcase that doubled as a table top. I'd arrive at the venue, screw the briefcase/table top onto a tripod and start the show. Those where the happy days!

I respect anyone who makes multiple trips to the car--I mean that--but it's not my thing. A show is like a puzzle-the goal is entertainment--how many trips to the car has NOTHING to do with solving that puzzle.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Last May I did five hour long shows one Saturday during the busy communion season. Six years ago I managed seven hour long shows - my record. If I had to make five trips back to the car, and have a long set-up and break-down, then that would have been difficult to achieve.
As for MoonRazor's comment MY SHOW SUCKS BUT I ONLY MAKE ONE TRIP TO THE CAR, all I can say is the second part of the statement is the only true part. My show is as good as any in my market, and better than all but the very best. Portable does not imply poor quality.
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
I'm looking to get a Folding Hand Trucks to carry my stuff can somebody use one and recommended

i found the best 10 from 2019

here is the list

10. Harper Trucks 700 lb Capacity Convertible Hand Truck
9. Milwaukee Hand Trucks 49180 Convertible Truck
8. Wesco Steel Maxi Mover Lightweight Folding Truck
7. Vergo Model Industrial Folding Hand Truck Dolly
6. Cosco 3-in-1 Aluminum Hand Truck
5. Magna Cart Ideal 150 lb Capacity Steel Folding Hand Truck
4. Magna Cart Personal 150 lb Capacity Aluminum Folding Hand Truck
3. VEVOR Folding Hand Truck 3 In 1 Convertible Hand Truck
2. Magline Gemini Sr Convertible Hand Truck
1. Cosco Shifter 300 lbs Capacity Multi-Position Folding Hand Truck

Thanks a lot
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I recommended this years ago, in this thread, and still stand by my recommendation.

https://www.adorama.com/mfr6m.html?gclid......TV_D_BwE

You can see different possible configurations here..
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1141 Posts

Profile of danfreed
For most birthdays and small/medium shows I use a medium suitcase table and 2 Showtime cube boxes that, when set up, go on top of each other. So that takes 2-3 trips from the car, and in most homes and places, once inside, due to space issues and people all around, I can only carry 1 thing through to the show area at a time (rather than carrying 2 at a time). For me, a cart only seems to make sense once in a while like a school show where I have to go down hallways, etc. I won't win awards for efficiency, but it's not too bad, and I can use the exercise. I used to use just 1 suitcase table for the whole show, but I added 2-3 puppets. Then I created an all original closer that always kills, but uses a prop 1' by 1' by 1'. So I haven't figured out how to go lighter/smaller with that stuff. Those boxes are heavy. I wish I could find/make a similar type box set-up that is lighter. I was using a trunk/footlocker for while, but that was big and awkward and difficult to carry around and down steps, etc.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, none of you will do what I did 49 years ago, so, it would be a waste of time to tell you. Besides, I wrote my CRITERIA for the tricks/routines that I did in my book, and I discussed how I worked with one case, that weighed 23 lbs. and, was never unpacked. Props--NOT TRICKS-- came out, worked,and, were returned. Only 4 tricks needed minimal reset (about 3 minutes) and I could do that in the RV.

I never did the latest or greatest. The props were mostly generic. Few were "dedicated?.

I did one basic show that ran as long as 60 minutes, and, played well for almost anyone, almost anywhere.

I was never at liberty, and, toured coast to coast and, border to border for about 50 years.

I learned, as a teen, that "it aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW, ya DO it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many trips does it take to carry in your show? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL