The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many trips does it take to carry in your show? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S I averaged 13 per week, and, often did 15, and sometimes more
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
PPS I did about 35 weeks per year on the school tours.

Then, I did club dates, or managed side shows, or managed Boy Scout Camps, or did lecture dates or the act for magic clubs, or regional or national conventions, or corporate dates.

It was one trip in.
randysburtis
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of randysburtis
Regular bday 1 trip. That was prop table. Small sound set to. Pumpo balloon pump over shoulder and bag of pre done balloons.

Upsell bday add backdrop a small extra table and 2nd trip in.

Day care 1 trip. Easy in and out .
Dick would be proud

Stage- too many lol
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup Randy!

In my Navy days (51-55) I did 20-30 minutes, and carried the props in a shaving kit the size of a cigar box. I probably had an average of 100 per club date.

Generic props: Rope, c&r & knots, silks for dye in hand and silk to egg, cards for 6 card repeat, insurance policy and fancy shuffles. Later, added Mardo egg bag.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
PS the 100 above means about a hundred people.
randysburtis
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of randysburtis
As performers ,Do you go through the stage of... buy big, use big, then minimize and focus, then let a bit of bigger stuff come in. I find I cycle that way. The stuff is solid and plays as I want. My observation is do others find they follow that size pattern...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
No, I started with a few bigger props (square circle, foo can, etc.) After the Navy "experience, I down sized my 45 minute program. For a few years, I did INERTIA (eggs, tray and glasses). I now do it on very special dates, only, as it's an extra case to shlep in!

As he aged, Roy Mayer, cut the weight, too. He bought an extra prop case, and it stayed empty. He would hand the full case to the school boy helper! He carried the empty! "
At a high school, a high school student (visiting amateur) saw the two cases (each about 28" x 10" x 8"). He asked Roy, "You going to do a 45 minute show with THAT?

It aint WHAT ya DO, it's HOW ya DO it! ENTERTAINMENT IS NOT MEASURED BY THE YARD OR POUND! It's measured by the OOOHS, AHHHS, & LAUGHS!!! When a school principal saw my prop case (13' x 20" x 8") and, asked, "Is that all you have?" I would point to the grand piano on the stage, with the violin on top of it. "Do those instruments produce good music?" He, of course would answer in the affirmative! I would say, "It's the artist, not the instrument, eh?"

After the program, he would comment on how well his students (primary, elementary, Jr. or Sr. High) -OR- ALL 12 GRADES, HAD BEEN ENTERTAINED.

After my first tour, I NEVER needed to ask a manager for a tour. They would call me to learn when I had open time. I WAS NEVER "AT LIBERTY"!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I saw Harry Blackstone Sr's. SHOW OF 1001 WONDERS, in November, 1945, he trouped the show in a railroad box car packed with orange crates & trunks, except for Pete's black trunk.

On the way out of the theater, everyone talked about the Dancing Handkerchief--with a borrowed handkerchief!
[
I get more laughs and APPLAUSE with a golf ball and an 18" silk than I ever got with a square circle! My Misers Dream (a tin can and 5 IKE $$$)+ 20 kids CLOSES THE SHOW, 'CUZ I CANNOT FOLLOW IT!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have no quarrel with magicians who use those tubes, boxes, and red velvet bags on a stick.

It took me awhile to produce, my little act. I did it coast to coast for about 50 years.
randysburtis
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of randysburtis
Yeah. I think we can get bent all out if shape over size. Its about entertainment. As the entertainer pick what size works and play it strong!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1821 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I do 2 trips because of my parrot.

IMO In the living room market, big props are often (not always) a substitute for personality. Sure you can have a dynamite show using big props in a living room or school, but why when smaller props are just as good? The only reason I can think of iis so a large crowd can see them, which isn't the venue. Why use magic props at all? If they look like a magic trick they lose some of the magic. When they are, or look like, an ordinary object the magic is much greater.

In my show the only "Magic" prop I use is the Magic Board - http://www.axtell.com/mdb.html - (which is pure gold) and sometimes the Comedy Four Ring Routine By Pop Haydn - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7005 . Haydn's is the only commercial routine I use (and it is wonderful). Both pack flat.

My set-up time is 3 minutes and my tear-down time is 5 minutes. I like this MUCH better than the longer times, more trips I hear about. K.I.S.S.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many trips does it take to carry in your show? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL