The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Vanish Verison 3 (Ponta the smith)10 months in+ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Any better from Verison 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2717lHJtB0

10 months in + so far.

Thanks!
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
It doesn't get much better than that, sir.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
oliver.s
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of oliver.s
Dude, that was almost perfect. The only negative (and I may well be nit-picking here..) I can point out is that at one point your right fingers twitch a little, when the coin is being readjusted. Very minor point, but with that sorted you'd be spot on mate. Well done man.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Yeah I noticed that. It was more or less obvious in certain videos. But still evident.

I still think it lacks the 'finesse' (I don't knwo another word to describe it) that ponta's video does. I've come to realize pretty much, although I can get it probably just as good as ponta (but in my own way and style) it may never LOOK exactly like his. We all have our quirkcs/styles and I still do it a little different from him, even if I was trying to copy the movements to be the same.. I'll still practice it all the time.

I took your guys advice, removed the watch and tried to pause more to "let the magic happen" as Eric Jones would say. After the vanish, and after the second phase.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Looking AMAZING!
As I know other people have said to you on here, don't just try to imitate Ponta. Do your own thing. It's okay to have your own subtleties and differences in your routines. There's already one Ponta the Smith out there.
This routine fries me - I have no idea where that coin is going. My only feedback was that some of the movements still seem just slightly awkward and unmotivated. I think that's coming from you trying to imitate his style. Be comfortable doing this with your own unique presentation, and it will come off more natural. You've got the moves down and it looks awesome. Just smooth out those rough bits to really make it your own thing. You've got some skills!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

First of all thank you andrew and others for your constructive feedback.

That's why I still don't like it Andrew. The movements do not look natural still, at least on video. It looks natural in the mirror..video must pick up subtleties I am not aware of but if you know how to make this more natural the more the better (and if you'd would be happy to please share them with me Smile (because I'm really not sure)

Actually I added my own move on the new 3 coins across ponta showed at EMC. Right after the second phase, I tap the coin and say "It's going from here, to here". I felt it gave more motivation to the move. Ponta really liked it. He wanted to use it. Check his next DVD..
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Loved it! Good stuff Fish. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
Looks very good, it is a very difficult sleight.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Guys, is this better than Verison 2? I had someone say its not as good, and is a "step down".

I just looked at Verison 2. Maybe the transfer was better there, but overall I feel the inital vanish and production is better and smoother.

Thanks
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
It's been answered above already. Plus you feel it's better. So "someone" states it's not as good and you go back into doubting yourself mode? It's great that you have put countless hours of dedication into this.it's a good goal to want to achieve the smoothness of the person on the DVD you are learning from. But you have gone back and forth many times on this. Maybe for you it would be best not to post a video. The reason I say this is when you are told by some fine people here that it's looking good,it's getting better and so on then you come back a day or 2 later to say "someone" says it's not as good,what do you think,I think you should re-read the already posted comments as the answers are already there and have been for a few days already.You must remember that one will never please all, ever.There can never and will never be anything created,not art,music,food,magic etc that will appeal to everyone. There must always be a negative.You like a Chevy,I like a Ford. You like Democrats,I like Republicans. You like blondes,I like brunettes.You like your latest coin video,SOMEONE will not.
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Apart from technical nitpicking, I like the trick. It's very visual in video.

How well does it play for layman?
There is probably an angle problem, so for how many spectators can you perform it at a time close up?
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

The vanish sequence and production has gotten me some of the best reactions in coin magic to both laymen and magician live.

Angle problem is a very big problem. There's a few things you have to consider. You don't do this at a party surrounded. You do this for 1 or at most 2 people,preferrably them sitting you standing. If they're standing, they need to be shorter than you.
Not only that, but even if you pull it off perfectly, if I perform it like shown in the video, there will be a noticable flash no matter what. What I do now live, is bring the other hand slightly outwards to cover the flash. This does make it look slightly more ackward (which is why I don't do it on video), however it cmopletely covers the flash.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Vanish Verison 3 (Ponta the smith)10 months in+ (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL