The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What effect feels like real mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Cold reading....................

Decomposed
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I should have included in my post above re: my three-phase book test that it is my routine, but I have borrowed methods from Maven and Hoy to accomplish the triple revelation.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
There have been plenty of great suggestions, but I'd like to add a magic effect to the list. Morgan Strebler's Taste Conditions could be performed in such a way that the magician's influence supposedly causes the effect with a few patter tweaks. Changing the taste of a fluid in someone's mouth has to be the most original effect I've come across.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
For me, the fewer the props--and the fewer the ridiculous props--the more real it is. Why in heaven's name would I put a written prediction inside an envelope and stick that in a box which is in a bigger box and in a bigger box? Gimme a break! Simple and direct (Bold and Subtle?) is more real, IMO. Tossed Out Deck, done well, is exactly that.
Paul Carnazzo
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Paul Carnazzo
I agree that that the "realism" lies in the presentation, as well as the lack of flashy props. Many ESP Testing demonstrations fit the bill, as does well done cold reading. Of course, even even effects that we as mentalist see as "simple" or "basic", like a drawing dupe or the revelation of a thought of item, if presented correctly, can appear to be "real mentalism".

Quote:
On 2010-12-06 22:46, Gerry Hennessey wrote:
To me, effects that are "hands off" with nothing being said. are as close as I get. Products creating that illusion that readily come to mind are Paul Carnazzo's wonderful cards and Rick Roth's original Kioku. With the proper presentation (which as always is key) these effects create "memorable mind reading moments".

Gerry

Thanks for the mention Gerry!

Paul
remember....always use your powers for good!

http://www.mentalvoyage.com
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
DMKraig,

As I was considering the stated question a little more, I began to think of Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck, which is incredible, too. Like a Tossed Out Deck, the Radar Deck is powerful, especially when you can add the extra touches Osterlind does.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
vinnymac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of vinnymac
"The Pure Thing" by Nefesch
"Prevaricator" by Patrick Redford
"Zodiac" by Chester Sass

... in all of these, nothing is written down by the participant, so it feels a lot like real mind reading, and in some ways, it really is.

Haunted Key

... just because I really feel like I am turning the key with mind.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
When I do Q and A purely by cold reading, it feels very real to me. No pre-show, nothing written down. I just walk out, chat to the audience, invite them to think of questions weighing on their mind or their heart, and then I answer the questions they are thinking of. I don't know how it would feel different to me if I actually had some sort of psychic power.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What effect feels like real mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL