The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just a quick inquiry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrMclachlan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MrMclachlan
Hello all,

I am a new member to this site and I appoligise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section.
I was wondering where I would be able to find forums on here that relate to mentalism and hypnosis

Thanks in advance,
Kane
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Hi and welcome to the Café!

Just scroll down at the main forum list page, and your two categories are listed under "The Attic". This site is quite big and often takes time to find which forum you're looking for, but just keep searching.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
MrMclachlan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MrMclachlan
Hello scottds80,

Thankyou for your help, its much appriciated. And yes I agree for those like myself who are new to the Café it can be quite a task just moving through the forums.

Thanks,
Kane
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
In the section "The Attic" is a forum called "Penny for your thoughts" dedicated to mentalism. There is also a forum called "Inner thoughts" that is limited to members who have a certain track record in their participation. You should see it appear in due course if you stick around.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Are you new to Hypnosis or are you already a practicing Hypnotist?

If the former I can highly recommend the DVD set "The Manchurian Approach".

What I know I learned mostly from that set, and I've only just started to really scratch its surface.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
MrMclachlan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MrMclachlan
Stijnhommes,
Thankyou, I plan on being an active member of this site, although at times I may struggle for time with school. Grr being 16 aha Smile
But thankyou I hope to hear more from you.

Cyberqat,
Thankyou for your suggestion. To answer your questions I'm really both catergories. By this I mean I'm relatively new but have performed as a Hypnotist on friends before.

The Manchurian Approach, I have had the please of watching with a friend, we went through it together. It could possibly be one of the best purhcases out on the market.

I would love to hear any expriences or advice you could offer Smile

Best regards,
Kane
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well, I've only worked with my wife (and one friend) so far, who is an excellent subject having done hypno-therapy in the past.

What I've learned/figured out so far is pretty basic. If you've done any hypnosis you've probably figured it out for yourself.
But my two or three big revelations were these:

(1) Belief is critical. Get a subject to believe they are hypnotized, and they are at last half way there. There are various physiological or outright magic tricks you can use to help that.

(2) Hypnosis is quite coercive in a subtle way. The transition from requesting language to permissive language is very powerful if handled right. Subtle changes in how you word things can gently move the subject in the direction you want them to go. (eg moving from "can you" to "you can" to "you will"...)

(3) "Leading" is critical. I assume I don't have to define that since we have both seen some of the same materials.

Given all the above, being a good observer may be one of the most important skills a hypnotist can develop.

Posted: Dec 12, 2010 2:17am
Oh one more thing I've learned...

There are NLP devotees around (and even around here) who are basically religious fanatics and will try to sell you on their metaphysics for what hypnosis is and why it works as hard as any religious fanatic of any stripe. They also make the same leaps of illogic and confusions of casual sequence that most religious fanatics make. If it amuses you, you can engage them, but don't expect that pointing out their illogic will have any effect beyond getting them upset.

I have it on good authority that not all NLP practitioners are of the religious variety. (I define religion, btw, as "A belief system you have invested emotional capital in.") But the religious ones are often the loudest.
gr8fl1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gr8fl1
Darren Brown is interesting to watch. You can see some of his stuff on youtube. He knows how to mess with the mind!
MrMclachlan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MrMclachlan
Yes I must agree belief is a key element.
And NLP no offence to anyone who may think otherwise, I choose not to go into.

Ive found through various situations lifes thrown at me how to talk to different groups of people, and how to be an affective speaker. This can help a lot if the situation arises where your faced with a group that is out of your comfort zone.

I shall look up some Darren Brown videos now Smile

Thankyou
samuwel
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of samuwel
Derren Brown is also quite good ;-)
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I think Derren Brown is great, and well worth reading some of his written stuff.

Be warned however that, as he freely admits, his performances use a mix of hypnotism, stage magic, an just simple showmanship.
You need to take any "explanation" he gives in a performance just like any other patter, which is to say it is easily part or all BS.
MrMclachlan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MrMclachlan
Thankyou.

However it seems as though I will be withdrawing from this site.

Would you be able to tell me how to delete a post?
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
If its too late to edit it, then you will have to PM the sysop and ask to have it removed.

(I did that once with something that, after the fact, I thought revealed too much.)
MrMclachlan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of MrMclachlan
Ok Thankyou
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I have just started re reading Derren's trick of the mind - worth a read for any would be mentalist, but I really really liked his second chapter on magic which I thought gave an excellent and accessible look at routining and showmanship...more so than Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms.....though the latter is a highly regarded book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just a quick inquiry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL