The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spelling effects (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
I have been recently flicking through the pages of Marlo' Magazine, and discovered several amazing spelling effects on Volume 2.

Some people find spelling effects boring but I believe they can play well, even for a big audience, if they are
presented in and entertaining way. I think that Michael Vincent' Intuition Speller, inspired by Harry Lorayne's, is a good example of this, as the construction and misdirection creates a real mystery. Having said that,
my girlfriend was not very shocked when she saw Michael performing it because, for some reason, she
noticed when he peek occurred Smile. Another interesting spelling effect is Elmsey' version of the Collins Aces that can be found on The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley - Volume 2. Simon Aronson also has a great work on this type of effects.

Any thoughts? What are you favorite spelling effects? Do you have any tips or advice to make spelling routines more entertaining for the audience or more engaging?
leechiswell
View Profile
Regular user
England
108 Posts

Profile of leechiswell
I like Dead Reckoning by John Bannon, since the spelling is done only in the spectators head yet you still end up on the correct card.
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
The World's Greatest Magician by Steve Beam
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Furniture, the Michael Vincent trick you mentioned fooled me badly when I saw him perform it a convention a few weeks back. What a great effect.

I'm not too fond of spelling effects myself, but I recognize they have merit in certain situations. There are two comedy approaches to spelling effects that I think you may find worth looking into:

1. He Who Spellt It Dealt It by David Williamson

2. Hippopotomonstosesquipedaliophobia by Tyler Wilson (from his book Reinventing the Real: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=233)

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com

Here's a link to Denis Behr's archive of spelling effects that require a setup: http://archive.denisbehr.de/archive/rout......,246,247

Here's the link to the impromptu routines from his database: http://archive.denisbehr.de/archive/rout......8,246,82

Hope this helps.
Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Quote:
On 2010-12-06 09:16, M. Perk wrote:
The World's Greatest Magician by Steve Beam

I used to close my show with TWGM (using jumbo cards) when I worked trade show hospitality suites long ago. There's nothing like ending your show with a big, honking arrow pointing right at the star as sales reps spit their drinks out from laughing.

Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
"Impossible" - Larry Jennings...beautiful!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
A version (I can't for the life of me remember where I learned it-if you know please tell me) of the 9 card speller with a lie detector theme. You spell a value, a suit, and either "true " or" false" to get the card. I use it all the time.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1035 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Jim Steinmeyer's from magic
sushimonster
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of sushimonster
Beam's trick always kills.
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
To JohnWells,

I think the effect you refer to is in The card mysteries of David Salomon: "Steinmeyer's nine card problem with seven card". Great effect, no doubt.

F
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6902 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I became interested in Spelling tricks a while back and have since created a few. In fact, I've revamped one which I will be giving away for free on my site. Certain spelling tricks can be very entertaining if handled properly.

One of my bestselling tricks involves selling. It's called Nothing But The Truth. Here's the demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpAvPglWihs

I can tell you that this trick plays great for a big group as you can get the whole crowd involved.

Paul Gordon's got one called The Eight of Diamonds trick which is also killer. Totally impromptu.
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
625 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
I frequently use a simple yet impossible-looking spelling effect by Simon Aronson from his Try the Impossible. Free selection, the selection is lost, more legitiment shuffling/cutting can take place, they touch the back of any card, from that same spot the flipped card is spelled to arive at the selection.

CW
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Yes, I am quite aware that it's Steinmeyer's 9 card problem, and before anyone informs me, yes, I am also aware that Martin Gardner developed the Lie Speller. It's isn't from the Solomon book. In think it was in an ebook and I think it may have been Racherbaumer's, but I can't find it in my files or my memory. It's a great handling in either case.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2494 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Spelling effects can be very dull but on the flipside they can also be quite boring. There are a select few that fall into a third category--tedious.

My basic problem with (most) spelling effects is there is a distinct lack of directness. Most spelling effects are contrived versions of the standard pick-a-card trick, except instead of finding the card in a more direct fashion, you spell to it instead. There needs to be some compelling reason to do the spelling.

Intuition Speller (mentioned at the top of this thread) meets the directness criteria. Someone shuffles a borrowed deck and hands you the cards. You immediately spell down to a specific card. It's very direct and baffling since you start spelling before you get down to the destination card.

Examples of effects that lack that directness is a pick a card trick where you find the wrong card but then spell down from that card to find the actual card. In most cases these types of effects are needlessly convoluted and aren't particularly enjoyable to watch. But as always, there are exceptions.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2010-12-06 15:51, Steven Keyl wrote:
My basic problem with (most) spelling effects is there is a distinct lack of directness. Most spelling effects are contrived versions of the standard pick-a-card trick, except instead of finding the card in a more direct fashion, you spell to it instead. There needs to be some compelling reason to do the spelling.

You don't always have to spell the name of the card. Have them spell their own name. Once someone has picked out a card that they're "attracted to", THEY can find it at anytime simply by spelling their name. See "The Amateur Magicians' Handbook" by Henry Hay for some killer spelling effects. In the version that I do, the spectator goes through the deck and picks out a card that they feel an "attraction
to" or that they feel drawn to. The card is replaced and the magician says "Once you've found a card that has that draw, you can find it just by spelling your own name-- for example my card is the Nine of Clubs". Magician spells his own name and the Nine of Clubs is on the last letter. The magician hands the deck to the spectator who then spells his own name. His selection shows up on the last letter-- AND HE DID THE DEALING.

There are different methods, but I thought you MIGHT consider this a "compelling reason".

SEY
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2494 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
True enough. Speaking of not spelling the name of the card, Bruce Cervon's Perfect Speller is another one that can be intriguing. Three questions, you spell each answer and end on their card. Lots of presentational possibilities here. Did you know what they were going to say or did you influence each choice, etc. Your version (The Card Trick That Has No Explanation) is an excellent presentation for this effect.

In general, though, spelling effects aren't my cup of tea.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
I just hate spelling tricks that have a fixed phrase you spell. I would much rather do something that has mystery or personal involvement, such as Eddie Field's "Cool Spell".
ambassador365
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
Someone taught me a spelling effect by Stephen Tucker. Deck is shuffled and all the cards of a particular suit are removed in the order that they were shuffled. Then spell ace... there it is. Spell two... there it is. And so on.

I did it for my family at Thanksgiving. They've seen a LOT of card magic, but this one really tripped them out. I anticipated that they were going to ask me if I could do it again. So, I was ready for them and was able to repeat it again with a different suit without having to do anything else with the deck. Forget about it.

Anyway, I usually don't enjoy spelling tricks. This is the only one, in MY opinion, that I feel is worth keeping in my repetoire.

Rudy
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
I've had a lot of fun with Alex Elmsleys Liars Club. Great spelling effect/lie detector trick
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8288 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've published many card-spelling effects. Interesting that nobody has mentioned Henry Christ's Tally-Ho that I published decades ago and then re-published it a couple of years ago. Or my Controlled Spelling (which Michael Vincent always performs - don't know of anyone else that does) and there are NINETEEN ace-spelling effects in my first Linking Ring Parade, way back in the 1960s. Anyway... Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spelling effects (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL