The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spelling effects (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I have quite a bit of performing experience with two spelling effects and can attest to their effectiveness. Number one is "Gray's Spelling Trick" from Royal Road to Card Magic. As simple as it is, I have found it to be a mystifying laymen pleaser. Don't forget to include the demo-phase! Number two is Annemann's brilliant "Miracle Speller" from Ted Annemann's Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks. Miracle Speller is very strong magic for laypeople (and fools many magicians along the way). You don't even spell cards: the trick is about people, people's names and the magical power of your own name.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1052 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
You can do a very cool spelling trick with Marc Paul's 'The Miracle Pack' using a 'thought of' card. A spectator thinks of a card and you spell to it. Very direct and very strong.

I got this a while ago without the DVD, so have no idea if the spelling effect is included on the DVD.

Marty
Laurent van Trigt
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Laurent van Trigt
Quote:
On 2010-12-06 06:37, Furniture wrote:
I think that Michael Vincent' Intuition Speller, inspired by Harry Lorayne's, is a good example of this, as the construction and misdirection creates a real mystery. Having said that, my girlfriend was not very shocked when she saw Michael performing it because, for some reason, she noticed when he peek occurred Smile.

I would be interested in knowing in what context your girlfriend saw the routine. Was it after multiple viewing on an online video, or in a one off live performance? Has she seen a lot of magic before and does she know more than the average layperson? Also, how did you respond when she told you she had spotted the ‘secret’. While I am not a big fan of spelling effects in general, the construction of Michael’s routine is solid. Everything happens at the right time and even though there is only one effect, there are multiple methods in play.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but the optical speller from Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook is a fooler.

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Phil Pearce
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, GA
247 Posts

Profile of Phil Pearce
Can anyone help me with this trick? It's called "The World Famous [spectator's name] Trick", and I read it in one of my books, but now I've forgotten which one. Wish I had transcribed it. It's a pretty nice spell to spec's name effect, but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it or in which of my books I saw it.
Anyone?
Thanks.

Phil
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I always present the spelling effect as the best card trick ever invented by anyone from Rumford, Maine. Sometimes I do the spoonge bunnies, but with wilted cabbage leaves.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1306 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2010-12-06 11:26, DomKabala wrote:
"Impossible" - Larry Jennings...beautiful!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

A big second for this one! You're not spelling out the aces for a change! The set up is a simple crimp, and after that it's almost self working! very strong! Check out the audience reaction on Ammar's tape!
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Great thread. I'd like to suggest a trick from an unlikely source--Gibeciere. The Winter 2010 issue carried "Dr. Elliot's Three-Card Speller" by Bill Kalush. The method is quite clever.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I like Alex Elmsley's Collinspell aces. It's a nice little routine with four aces vanishing one at a time from small packets of cards, then they end up back in the deck in position to spell to each ace in turn from the top of the deck. It's very impressive to laymen, and only moderately difficult to do.

I liked the idea of spelling to each ace enough that I sat and figured out a really quick way to set up the deck in position to spell to each ace with only two quick shuffles. Using a milk build shuffle followed by an out faro.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8294 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Way back in March of 1964(!) my One-Man Parade in Linking Ring Magazine consisted of about 19 spelling-the-aces routines. Over the years I published some of those in different books of mine. Hl.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
bicycle66
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of bicycle66
I like Simon Aronson's speller it is fairly easy to do and plays fairly big with ability to repeat without the spectators catching onto the method. sean.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
2nd vote for Bannon's Dead Reckoning!!
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Bannon's Dead Reckoning is excellent.

A few years ago I included a simple spelling effect on my DVD Thirteen called 'Under My Spell'. This was a routine that I have been using for years. To a layperson, the effect looks totally impossible and the real beauty of it is that it can be performed anytime, anywhere with any borrowed shuffled deck.

Spelling tricks ARE usually a bore but occasionally, in the right setting at the right time, they can be killer!
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4634 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-12-13 04:09, murrari wrote:
Spelling tricks ARE usually a bore but occasionally, in the right setting at the right time, they can be killer!

When's the right time for a spelling trick? I assume you mean a time and setting that makes a spelling trick the best possible choice of material to perform. And what time is that? Because I find that it's at 7:32am. And the best place to do it is on a glass-bottomed boat that has recently sprung a leak as a result of an ornery manatee pushing too hard against it while trying to copulate with a confused and scared deep-sea pearl diver.

I'm just curious if your experiences have been different.
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2968 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2010-12-13 05:09, Ben Train wrote:
When's the right time for a spelling trick? I assume you mean a time and setting that makes a spelling trick the best possible choice of material to perform. And what time is that? Because I find that it's at 7:32am. And the best place to do it is on a glass-bottomed boat that has recently sprung a leak as a result of an ornery manatee pushing too hard against it while trying to copulate with a confused and scared deep-sea pearl diver.

Maybe it's time to start turning down those Philip and Henry gigs.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8294 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
As is most often the case, it is not the trick (whatever kind it is) that's a bore - it's the person perfor... - no - doing it.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Jonathan C
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Jonathan C
Jerry Sadowitz performed a couple of awesome spelling effects on the BBC tv show 'Stuff The White Rabbit'... It's well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Ben

It's uncanny - 7.32am is the right time for me too. However I prefer to be suspended upside down from a trapeze above a pride of hungry lions...
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DNA
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
HL - true - usually the person 'doing'
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DNA
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
181 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
I used to do ACAAN a long time ago now; I preferred to do it quickly to ensure impact and apparent nonchalance. Eventually I came to the conclusion that a spectator choosing any card from a 'shuffled' deck and the magician cleanly spelling to the card had much the same impact- for less movement and work. I don't know of anyone else who has a clean system for doing this with any card and full spellings for all but five cards. I am sure someone else must have been mad enough to do this. I don't generally bother to spell the top cards. Simply turning the card on top is a stronger revelation should it be mentioned. It's not always the most exciting effect to some audiences, although it often takes folks by surprise and gets gasps; done a couple of times on your way to other effects is good. I mentioned some of my method a few years ago in another thread on the Café somewhere.
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spelling effects (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL