The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Axtell wins again (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Just a short note. There is a talent contest in my home state, and I auditioned and made it to the finals.

I had to choose between magic and vent. This time I decided to go with vent.

Even further than that, for my act, I had to make a choice between my fully articulated vent figure, and my Axtell bird puppets.

The bird puppets won hands down.

Why? How can I say it. The puppets are so well crafted, and the possibilities for injecting them with a unique personality are endless. Not that I don't enjoy working with Daniel, my figure, but the birds have an appeal and a lovabilty that I really cant see the figure having.

Again, Axtell is the best! Even though it was a chunk I payed for my birds, (I currently own four) I have never regretted it. Just wish I had more money to buy a bunch more!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Thanks Daff! Congrats on the Finals!!!
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks, Steve! The contest is done, I didn't win, first place was taken by a pianist/ singer. But I sure felt great up there with your birds on my arms. Gave me lots of confidence to know I was working with the best.

The buzzard character I gave a unique twist to. I named him "Dodi" and he was the dumb one to my smart Alec crow, "Elvis" Anyway, to give him that dumb look, I made a hillbilly buck tooth "or "toof" if you prefer. Just ONE tooth, mind you, stuck in the most prominent place in his jaw I could find.

Anyway, Steve, You can't IMAGINE the time and money I spent finding a way to get that tooth to stick in permanently! I tried every type of glue on the market, even resorted to chewing gum! But the tooth kept falling out every time. And most times it was during the most critical moments (Like when we were in the middle of taping!).
I tell you, it's hard to find a good glue in the stores that sticks to vinyl. I tried everything from epoxy to rubber cement.

Anyway, just before the show I had a brain child and finally hit upon the right combination.

So I got out there and did the show, and the audience and the judges loved me, but I didn't win.

The show is on DVD and America's Got Talent" is going to watch it. So there is still hope.

Anyway, Steve, I have a highly articulated hard figure, Daniel Duggins, and the birds won out in my heart as the most appealing even over the hard vent figure, so that shows you how much I prize your craftsmanship.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Another thing I have thought of, Steve, and this is a wild and crazy dream of mine, is this: I enjoy having two birds one on each arm, and venting for both.

But you know what would be REALLY COOL? Oh it would be beyond cool, it would be GLORIOUS! If I could have the two birds on each arm AND two other birds one on each shoulder! (Animiatronically controlled, of course!) for a total of FOUR in my menagerie!

It would be a real challenge creating and coordinating such an act, but it would be SO COOL! I think if I could perfect such an act as this, I would surely win ANY talent contest, hands down! And YOU just happen to be the guy with the animinatronics!
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
The reason your glue didn't stick to the latex was because it has a protectant on the surface. I didn't know you were struggling with the tooth or I would have offered suggestions.

Certainly you can do a double bird routine as others have done, and you can have 2 birds on perches even now beside you. To put them on your shoulders would be a challenge and heavy but we are built for challenges!
Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
As far as the four birds, Steve, I know it's just a pipe dream but would be a technical nightmare. But if (just IF) it were possible, it would look so fabulous to walk around with four birds on your person and all four interacting with each other and with you. The possibilities are endless! Photo shoots would be out off the charts! It's great to have two others on perches beside you on stage, but to have the other two on your shoulders just ups the ante on the "magic " and wonderment factor by a hundred fold.

However I realize I'm just dreaming and it will never happen. *sigh*
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
If the birds were fully animatronic it would require a body harness to hold them but then you could certainly do it. You would need to plan a visit to come to our studio to discuss it in detail and see the birds up close. Pipe dream or not, dreams happen. I'm living proof of that!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Where exactly is your studio located?
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Doug;
Steve will answer your question in time, but here is the address:

Axtell Expressions, Inc.
2889 Bunsen Ave H Ventura, CA 93003
If you go to www.axtell.com and click on "Contact Us" in the upper right corner, you will get a map to the location.

Doug
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
That's correct. We are only a short drive to Disneyland....and the Magic Castle, which I will be at Wed. The KGB have invited me down to do a presentation.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Whoa, Steve, that's great - I will be there this time, along with Jimmy and John, and I'm taking (dare I say it) the Platypus (there, I said it!).

As you will be there, I would like to have a chat with you about my main puppet(the one that gets me booked!).

Look forward to seeing you there.

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
See you Wed Dave!
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
It was great seeing you at the Castle Dave and the rest of the gang. Always a fun time! Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Axtell wins again (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL