The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Scorpio's Message (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Over the years, since it first appeared in a very limited release, many mentalists have asked me about "Scorpio's Message" and if it would ever be available again. (This may have something to do with the fact that I mention it often in my lectures and workshops.)

I'm happy to announce that with the cooperation of Chris Wasshuber at http://www.Lybrary.com and my good friend Michael Weber (to whom I granted exclusive rights to the routine shortly after its release) "Scorpio's Message" is once again available to the fraternity.

Essentially, "Scorpio's Message" is a unique approach to the classic Q and A presentation. Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
It is not what you do that counts and how you do it doesn’t count for much either – It’s what people remember (or misremember) that matters.

My friend, magic historian and close up performer par excellence, Jamy Ian Swiss, has correctly pointed out that it is irrelevant that David Copperfield’s “Vanishing Statue of Liberty” was somewhat less than a believable effect. The important thing was that Copperfield became remembered as “the guy who made the Statue of Liberty disappear” – even by those who never saw the illusion. All stories get better in the retelling - especially in the world of magic and mentalism, where untrained observers will leave out the critical details, thus eventually crediting the performer with having performed the impossible.

Scorpio’s Message, like other illusions, is generally described incorrectly by those who have witnessed it. Unlike other effects of its kind, it is specifically designed to enhance this mis-perception of events...

...A recent informal survey of mentalists and psychic entertainers showed that most considered the Question Answering/Audience Reading effect to be the strongest and most commercial effect in mentalism. Nonetheless, most mentalists do not include the effect in their presentations. The obvious question, then, is “Why?”

While it is true that most mentalists do not include Q and A in their performances, this does not mean that the effect is rarely seen. Variations of the routine are performed every day by currently popular tele-mediums such as John Edward, James van Praagh and Sylvia Brown. Their audiences are composed of people who hope to receive personally relevant messages and/or solace from the “spirit world”.

It’s not my intention to get into the controversy surrounding the legitimacy of the claims made by these individuals. That they enjoy wide popularity is beyond dispute and I cite them only as examples of the drawing power of performers who provide their audiences with personally relevant information. The fact that some claim to do this via paranormal means is really beside the point, as evidenced by the equal popularity of “teletherapists” and psychologists such as Dr. Joyce Brothers, Dr. Phil, and my all-time personal favorite, Dr. Ruth “Did You Vair a Kundum?” Westheimer.

To a very large extent, however, modern mental acts lack this sort of relevance. Mentalists generally restrict themselves to the presentation of “minor” effects that highlight either the mental revelation of static and non-controversial facts (maiden names, social security numbers, randomly selected words, etc.) or to the exhibition of remarkable mental abilities (memory, sightless vision, metal bending etc.). They generally avoid making outright claims to psychic ability and usually characterize what they do as examples of heightened sensory – rather than extrasensory – ability. While they will generally acknowledge that “Question Answering” is one of the most powerful effects a mentalist can perform, they usually restrict themselves to the performance of minor effects in order to avoid the technical and/or ethical problems they perceive as necessarily companions to the effective presentation of Q and A...

[One of the fundamental practical problems of Q&A is the fact that audience members whose questions aren't answered or addressed are invariably disappointed.] ...Even among those mentalists who have no problem with the ethical or technical aspects of the Q and A act, very few are likely to believe that closing the show with a routine that results in the disappointment of most of the audience is evidence of good showmanship...

...Scorpio’s Message, however, provides the perfect answer to the problem. Furthermore, it requires no technical skills, special apparatus, secret assistance, stealing of questions, impression devices, or pre-show work of any kind. (That is what an ad would say anyway. But I won’t mislead you – it DOES require effective presentation. The sample script and information I have given you, however, will allow you to achieve this fairly rapidly.)

The effect also provides the relevance that is lacking from most mentalism performances. It is, as demonstrated in this book, the element that is critical to repeat performances, and to the commercial value that is a prerequisite to the long-term success of a professional mentalist or psychic entertainer. Most importantly, it provides this relevance in a relatively non-controversial and highly entertaining manner.

Essentially, Scorpio's Message is a complete Q and A act that your audiences will always remember. It will be available shortly as an Ebook from http://www.lybrary.com

Will post the price, etc., as soon as "Scorpio" is available at Lybrary. In the meantime, those of you interested in my other (50 or so) works on mentalism can view them at the "The (Almost) Complete Works of Bob Cassidy" link provided in my signature.

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Hey Bob, great to see you are making this available again.
I was thrilled to get a copy some years ago and think it's a terrific piece.

cheers

Timothy Hyde
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I thought it was one of the most practical and do-able approaches to Q&A out there. Anyone doing Q&A now, or anyone thinking about it in the future: This is the first book to get on the subject. It will save you from wasting lots of money on other ebooks and Mss's. This one is pretty much all you need. Glad to see it available again. It's one act that a performer needn't worry about repeating.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
I agree. this is a great work. The best way to sell the Q&A to an entire audience.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Extremely devious. that's all I'm saying.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
A fantastic improvement on George Marquis' Spirit Messages.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Thanks for the nice compliments. For those who don't already know it, my inspiration for the routine wasn't George Marquis or any of the other well known Q&A artists - it was none other than The Amazing Criswell, one of the oddest "psychics" of all time. (Watch him in his part of the host/narrator in Ed Wood's cult classic, the infamous "Plan Nine from Outer Space, and you'll see what I mean.)

Good thoughts,

Bob
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I love doing Q&A's.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
"God help us! In the Future...!" Marvelous. Certainly more entertaining that my assumption.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
I predict "Ants in Alabama...ticks in Tennessee..." He was on early television when I was growing up in Southern California. Criswell was a hoot.
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
I do like a nice Q&A routine, I might have to have a little nose at this one.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Chris has now put Scorpio up on his site where it is available for $35. Here is the link: http://www.lybrary.com/scorpios-message-p-91937.html

Good thoughts,

Bob
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Just bought it from lybrary.com.

thanks MR. Cassidy
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1858 Posts

Profile of Prager
Looking forward for the reviews.
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I'd request that anyone who chooses to review Scorpio, to please post in the Penny or Inner Thoughts forums. I will be happy to answer any questions or comments about the routine provided they are posted in the lurker-free forum "Inner Thoughts."

This thread was started in Penny because the routine is intended for those who primarily perform mentalism and is not aimed at the magic community at large.

Further, Scorpio's Message cannot remotely considered to belong in the "Latest and Greatest" seeing that it was originally released seven years ago!

I don't understand why many new book and product descriptions are allowed to remain in the Penny forum where they were posted, while others are seemingly arbitrarily relocated to areas of the Café that, frankly, most mentalist members (the ones who read my books) rarely visit.

Good thoughts and a Happy Festivus to All!

Bob Cassidy
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
This is, as I recall, less expensive than when I purchased it from Mr Cassidy a few years ago. And I don't begrudge the price drop, as I've used it with Osterlind's ThoughtScan ever since.

Scorpio's Message is adaptable to any method you've used before. The Q&A method is not the real prize. How you're able to involve ALL your audience is the real prize, and they WILL remember you.

Highly recommended.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
How much prep work is required. I have limited knowledge of Q and A but am familiar with the Falkner and Willard (excuse me I know I've just butchered their names...it's the couple) DVD set and method which is INCREDIBLE but daunting as well. Thanks.
Damon Reinbold
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Damon Reinbold
The only prep is learning the routine, and I mean LEARNING it. No pre-show as such is required. As usual Bob Cassidy is spot on with this!

regards,
Damon
Damon Reinbold
<BR>2011 President, S.A.M. Assembly 71
<BR>2011 President, IBM Ring 90
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
How much prep work do you want to do? How important is it to you to get this right?

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Quote:
On 2010-12-09 19:15, J. Prager wrote:
Looking forward for the reviews.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=15#0

Cheers
Th.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Scorpio's Message (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL