The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Marked Deck for Poor Eyesight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1099 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I am looking at the Ted Lesley MD but I have a concern whether I'll be able to see well enough. My eyesight isn't what it was so I'm wondering if anyone can give advice as to what they think the best MD is for ease of reading. I don't want to end up looking like Mr Magoo!

Also, how important is orientation with a MD? Or is it not an issue?
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
190 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Boris wild may work for you.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I to have bad eyesight(age is catching up to me). I have come to the conclusion that the Boris Wild system of marked deck is the proper choice for me. Assuming I perform with my glasses. I still would have trouble seeing the marks if I did not wear my glasses while performing.
Magic is a vanishing art.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2116 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I think the best marking system for poor eyesight is Bob Farmer's "Blob-O-Vision". It's described adequately in the Kirk Charles Marked for Life book, and more thoroughly in Farmer's original magazine articles (I'm travelling in Asia at the moment, so can't provide the exact reference).
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Doug Dyment,
Have a great time in Asia... But be careful of China. They might decide that they want you to cough up your share of the huge amount of money that the US owes them. Your share is about $30,400.00.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
401 Posts

Profile of Alan M
I've been having a good experience with Pete McCabe's Card Mark System. I was using the Gambler's Marked Deck but my worsening vision has made them too tough to read. Pete's marks are bigger than the G.M.D. and I'm having a much easier time. I don't have a Lesley or Boris Wild deck to compare directly, but Pete has said "For size comparison only, the marks are a bit larger than those in a Ted Lesley or Boris Wild deck."

I also like that with Pete's system you can make the decks yourself quickly and inexpensively using Sharpie's. The ebook pays for itself pretty quickly, and if you go through a lot of decks, you're going to bring your cost per deck down drastically. Pete's ebook is here: http://saythemagicwords.com/pm_marking.html

(I think that the Gambler's Marked Deck uses the same card/suit markings as the Boris Wild deck but I am not 100% sure they are exactly the same. I would appreciate if someone would clarify this for me.)

-Al
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The pointers to the Kirk Charles book and to Pete McCabe's system will be useful to all those who are interested in this subject. I think the Ultimate Marked Deck is unsurpassed, but the markings are small; however, that's part of what makes markings undetectable to those who don't know them. Time and practice will undoubtedly help with any system. One important aspect, discussed in the Kirk Charles book and in other threads here at The Magic Café, is how to structure your reading of the markings, and how to script it into the presentation of the effect & routine so that your scrutiny goes unnoticed.

Woland
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I am going to be trying out marking the borders of the Bicycle Dragon Back Deck (available on eBay and elsewhere) - it was mentioned in the Workers section. Take a look at some images of the backs of these decks, and I think you'll get an idea of what I'm thinking of. It should be pretty easy to mark with no more than a dot, if you can get hold of a sharpy with matching color (they come in different colors at an office supply store, though you may have to buy a set with different colors). It should be pretty easy to come up with a system to place a stack number.

I'm not sure how poor eyesight would play into this, but I imagine you could space out the markings along the border, to make it fairly easy to pick up. PM me if you want specifics, but I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

Note: I have yet to try this out, so it remains theoretical. If it works, though, it is less expensive than the Boris Wild deck (though that's a great deck, don't get me wrong), and much less time to mark than the Farmarx system (a great system, which I have used).
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
When I saw this thread Boris Wild's deck came straight at me those digets appeared quite large, I went to a lecture of his where noone guessed it was what he was using for the whole 2 hours or so, very entertaining it was.

Jason
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
Chris Capeheart has a way/concept of marking a deck for those with poor eyesight. Go to one of his lectures when next he is in the UK.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Marked Deck for Poor Eyesight (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL