The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » black then red (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
I saw this great effect and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. 6 cards are shown face up, 3 reds and 3 blacks. He then turns them f/d and puts them onto the table alternately in a pie. When he picks them up and shows them the black and the reds have separated. He goes the extreme of doing it with the cards for you. you can actually see them as he puts them onto the table, no doubt. Their not double backers, and no gimmicks, as can be seen by his little care and attention when handling the cards. There are no double lifts either.
La magie, c'est ma vie
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
The trick you're refering to is called Oil and Water and has many different variations. I'm not sure which one you saw, but Aldo Colombini has several good and not too difficult versions.

I don't remember the name of the version that I do, but it is done with regular cards and there is a face up phase. I believe it's in Aldo's What's Up Deck book.

Scott
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The red black seperation idea goes back to Walter Gibson in the Jinx, but the Oil and Water patter angle belongs to Ed Marlo who probably came up with more versions than anyone.

There is a new version on the market, Sean Bogunia’s “Sorted Affair” (but there are LOADS in print) so that is possibly the one that is doing the rounds at the moment.

There is also one in Don England's new book.
I will have various references in my packet trick book when it eventually gets released.

Paul Hallas
Damion Corbett
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Damion Corbett
Derren Brown has got a nice three phase oil & water routine on his "Devil's Picture Book" video.

Definitely worth getting!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
The particular version of "Oil and Water" you are referring to may be a new one by Dominique Duvivier that is not yet (but soon?) on the market. It's very clever, DOES involve a bit of a gaff, but you'll never catch it no matter how close you watch. When you DO buy it and learn the secret you will be as amazed at the method as you were by the trick! Bob Kohler does it - and showed it to me - but I'm not clear on who will actually be marketing the effect.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Hey Clopper,
You can get quite a few beautiful Oil & Water routines from the Apocalypse series. Some of them even start with the four red cards having red backs and the four black cards having blue backs just to add to the impossibility of it (with no gaffs). Check them out.
Baz94
View Profile
New user
Kent/Eng
91 Posts

Profile of Baz94
I will send the Darren Brown "Devils picture book"!! It is fantastic! And the oil and water routine on it is gr8
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
I believe the one you saw, clopper, was the Rene Lavand version from World's Greatest Magic 2. Smile
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
bumbleface took the words right out of my mouth...just watched that special again over the weekend....amazing, and with his only one usefull arm, even more amazing...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » black then red (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL