The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm ready to hit the streets but the weather? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Hi guys I'm tired of being a coward and have built up enough courage to take the leap and go do magic to strangers (get practice, hand out bussniss cards, ect)

question is , its really very cold here now (ice and stuff)

have you guys ever gone out and perfromed in the streets in cold weather? should I wait for summer and risk loosing my courage?

any thoughts? thank you
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
How about going to an indoor public place.
I think it's possible to do some magic at the malls, there you can hand out your business cards.
Doing slight of hand in cold weather could be tough, unless you can do it with gloves. If it's too cold, people might not care to see a magic trick, but get somewhere warm.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Yeah maybe I'm a wuss but I never did street magic when it got too cold to be in shirt sleaves.
Besides your comfort, others don't really want to stop and stand there so your at a real disadvantage in re your audience.

I had some full-time street performer friends I met while doing this and what they did was migrate and work the south in the winter.

I think the mall is a great suggestion, although you may either (a) want to check out with the mall management first what rules they have or (b) be ready to be rousted.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Please make sure performing is okay with mall management and get a permit if it is required. You don't want to be kicked out into the cold. Indoor public places are a great suggestion. I only perform outside if it's nice spring weather or bearable summer weather. Anything else and I perform inside.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
If you are getting enough courage to perform, it takes as much courage to ask someone
if you can perform in their location. It they say yes, then you are committed. Find a place that can contain your act and go for it.

I'm sure there will be some breaks in the weather (i.e. Indian summers); were you can
just go out there.

Another thought is to put on a show for your family and/or friends. Organize it and
get everyone together or leverage some event where everyone will be together.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Dress in thermal layers, get a hand warmer, and just do it.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
I have done this and I suck. Just to get a feel for talking to people. The mall is fantastic but security will be on you in minutes. Talk to management. They will ask you to do one or two tricks and probably let you do it. OR kick you out(In my case because I only had one trick)!You sound like you are light years ahead of me. LOL. To be fair I did explain that I was not a magician, that I was learning, and that all I wanted to do was get some interaction with strangers. They thought I was nuts.

Coffee shops, Tea houses, and other places like that are usually friendly. So are bookstores.

Shamsiel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm ready to hit the streets but the weather? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL