The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » 99,99% Berglas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Silvano
View Profile
New user
Doboj, Bosnia and Herzegovinia
36 Posts

Profile of Silvano
Sorry for my bad english I am form Bosnia Smile
Silvano
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Silvano
And one more think I also like the way how public react on Mr. Vincent's brilliant work.
10 stars for that.
Silvano
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Silvano
There is short explanation on my method, and way of my thinking:

1. If you hear the position and know which card is on that position it is easy to verbal force card.
2. It is more simple to force card if you need to force 1 form 12 than 1 from 52.
3. Deck have 52 to cards, so in each group of 13 I put 3 picture card.
4. If card are on positions 2, 6 and 10 spectator can name any position and you can easy force card. It is just difrent way to get to it

for example:

X.JS.X.X.X.QS.X.X.X.KS.X.X.X

position 1. Count 1 card from top of the deck and look at next on (or remove joker from the top and count to exact position, I will explain function of the joker letter ...)
position 2. Count to 2nd position from the top
postitin 3. Count 3 cards from the bottom and look at next one Etc.

4. If you can get to any position from 1 to 13th card, you can get form 14th to 26th too etc.
5. Problematic positions was 13, 26, 39, and 52 bit I solve that with take out one X card from the deck, actually card from top and put there joker. So if someone name any of mentiond position I ask them to take out joker from top. so 15th, card become 14th etc. With taking out joker also 2nd position become 1st, 6th position becom 5thm 41 become 40 and do on. so

5. You can always count card from the top. How, if named position is one that is need to be count from the bottom just instruct spectator to count the all card one by one to the table to check is that deck consist all 52 card.

6. For position like 3, 7, 11 etc. spectator reverse order of the cards. deal exact number (named one) of the cards from top to the table, and tur over next card. I alway use word number instead of position so this little problem is not actualy problem for most of the spectators. Trick is still good.

So here is few more examples.

if somebody names 31 I instantly do this.

31 is form in group 27 to 39 so I know that I need to add 4 to named number and substract 30:, and I also know that SPADE BECOMES CLUBS:

31+4 is 35 ---> 35-30 is 5

Nearest card to 5th position is QS (6th position) so I know this

I need to instruct spectator to remove joker from the top and I know that I need to force Q of clubs.

That is all.

I really hope that some one will use my system somehow.

P.S. Feel free to ask questions and to use my little imporovement.

Again sorry for my bad ENGLISH
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Silvano,

I'll state this as directly and diplomatically as possible. There are many great solutions to the ACAAN problem. Unfortunately, your solution is not one of them. Please, do some research. There is so much good work that has already been done on this effect.

With that said, think about this: The LAST thing that the ACAAN plot needs is another overly clever new method. SIR, YOU ARE SOLVING THE WRONG PROBLEM.

Best Holiday Wishes,
Barry
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Silvano
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Silvano
Ok. Thanks BarryFernelius Can you give me few tips what to research.
Silvano
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Silvano
At the end of this discussion I need to say this:
If JAMIE ALLEN'S - WTF! Acaan is not good trick, I am agree that my is not good too ... Smile
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2531 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-17 07:36, Silvano wrote:
At the end of this discussion I need to say this:
If JAMIE ALLEN'S - WTF! Acaan is not good trick, I am agree that my is not good too ... Smile

Now we have something on which we both agree. Smile
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2531 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-17 05:46, Silvano wrote:
Ok. Thanks BarryFernelius Can you give me few tips what to research.

What should you research? That is an interesting question. The answer to that question depends on what you hope to accomplish. In the magic mansion, there are many different rooms.

Some magicians like to collect methods for effects. Their goal is simple: understand how every effect works. If magic is your hobby, this is one possible path. Usually, magicians who are obsessed with methods never become expert performers, but they do have a lot of fun. There is nothing wrong with that.

Other magicians are inventors. They constantly strive to invent new methods for effects. They usually end up knowing many of the old methods as well. I have a great deal of respect for the inventors. They continually prod us to think outside of the box.

My primary interest is to be a performer of magic for real people. At first, you might think that my job is to perform magic effects for my audience. This is partially correct, but I'm actually doing something that is subtly different. I create powerful memories of impossible events--that never really happened. (If I could do Real Magic, I could omit that last part.) When I'm at my best, I can create false memories that feel more true to my audience that their real memories.

The important thing is not what actually happened. Instead, it is what the audience remembers and how it made them feel.

So where do you begin? First, learn how to search for what interests you. You could start with the search engine on the Magic Café. Or, you could use Google to search the Magic Café. Try typing this into Google's search engine:

clean practical ACAAN site:themagiccafe.com

Denis Behr has an incredible resource available to you at http://archive.denisbehr.de/ Using Denis's search engine, try searching for this:

card at any number

That will help you to get started.

Second, obtain some of the classic texts that describe this effect and study them. Try out the different methods. You're going to discover that some of the best methods require skills that you haven't attained.

Third, learn the key skills that will enable you to do the effect. After you take a look at the best versions of this effect, you'll be able to discern a pattern to the skills that will help you.

Fourth, learn about effect construction. The Ascanio books are one good place to start. You might also consider Darwin Ortiz's book Designing Miracles. My own personal favorite is Juan Tamariz's The Magic Way.

Fifth (or should it be First?), gain an appreciation of the difference between what actually happened and what people remember. Here's something that might stimulate your thinking:

http://www.criterion.com/films/307-rashomon

Good luck!

-Leonard Bernstein
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-16 18:02, Silvano wrote:
Like I side I really like work of mr. Vincent and of course I do some of his act too. Everything is brilliant about Mr. Vincent.

What is interesting about my version is this.
Performer need to memorize only 3 cards on position 2, 6, and 10, so it is not memorized deck work. Rest is simple mathematic calculations and conversions for find out identity of the card which need to be verbal forced in second part of the routine. Actually you can use this system for any kind of forcing card. I use "Magician choice" for any picture card because in that way trick is most like Original Berglas effect. I don't know any kind of method where the performer gives the Deck at the start of routine and do 100% ORIGINAL BERGLAS PLOT with just one regular deck of the cards. Substitution for that for me is verbal force. I am rally big card magic lover and I treat card magic as a very smart act. I also believe that everything is possible, but I never find any method where spectator just take a deck from performer, than name a position and card, and imidiatly count to that position and find named card there. Actually my work is in big part is inspired by WTF! acaan trick. I was used to do that trick several times and few times peoples ask me "Can I just a name number" cause forcing positions with hand fingers is to complicated for someone. So My version is extended version of WTF! acaan, to all 52 positions, with no finger forcing method. Smile I just like to think a lot about playing card and I really hope that someone will like my method and use it well.

Due to my hastiness, some of my reply was lost.

I wrote:

"Ok, it seems you are missing the point – which is understandable because Barry is pointing out a subtle yet essential distinction.

I suggest you re-read his post above.

You seem to be focussing on methodology. Barry is trying to explain how the audience may perceive and remember the effect."
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Silvano
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Silvano
I think that we have here little confusion. I am far away from amateur in magic research. I was read many methods of acaan effect for example.

Al Baker, Alain nu, Anthony miller, Asi wind, Barrie Richardson, Basil Horwitz, Ben Harris, Bil Nagler, Bob Cassidy, Bob Farmer, Brian Castwell, Cameron Francis, Daniel Young, David Forrest, David Harkey, Don Theo, Eduardo Kozuch ETC.

Many off those methods are not hands off methods. And for me "Berglas effect" needs hands off method. However that is not my primary point of this improvement.

What I actually try to present here is system for forcing certain picture card on any position in deck without touching anything.
One of best plots for using this system is ACAAN plot.

Actually I try to invite simple mathematic system for lazy performers who do not want to learn memorised decks or at least, BART HARTLING system.

So if somebody need substitution for memorised deck, for ACAANs which use force and MEM decks or something other like this, my system is easy mathematic altertative for that.

You can still force card with another deck, if you know which one, or you can use verbal force etc. My system is just an easy way for finding out that information, besides learning MEMORISED DECK (What I recomended to every one) but ...

If anyone still want to be lazy there is my math alternative ...
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2394 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
You can find out how David Berglas really does it when my new book "The Berglas Effects" ships on May 16. I hope you'll buy a copy!
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of King14
Richard.Will we have a method that is new and useable.no pipe dreams.Is this a worth while buy not a rehash of dreams that have come and gone before??We need quality at a time when money is hard to find.

Thanks for any info
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4736 Posts

Profile of landmark
Richard only does quality.
Whether you can do what Berglas does is a whole other question.
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of King14
He is also in Business. Good adverts make money.QUALITY
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4736 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any Kaufman published book that was disappointing.

In any event, I know what I'm asking the Missus for on Fathers' Day. Smile
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
586 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
....did you marry your daughter then..?!! Okay, I'll get my hat and coat....
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Quote:
On 2011-04-26 23:56, Richard Kaufman wrote:
You can find out how David Berglas really does it when my new book "The Berglas Effects" ships on May 16. I hope you'll buy a copy!

Sounds very interesting, but this is my understanding that the very method of "The Berglas Effect" was already published in the book "The Mind & Magic of David Berglas(Britland 2002)".
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
178 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
Dear Silvano,
After having studied a lot of versions of Acaan I also found no version, where you work with just one deck of 52 different cards, where you don’t have to shift cards to get a named card at the required position and where you, of course, don’t work with a stooge. So I do welcome your approach to the plot.

It stimulated me to work out a version with somewhat simpler math and more important where where you do not have to touch the deck at all. I will share it with you and not here on the Café as Mr. Barry Fernelius pointed out that there is no need for another new method for Acaan and nobody who read this topic disagreed with him after he made that remark. So why should others be bothered with just another new method?

Frankly, I find it a pity that an initiative to explore new ways is being put down in this way and that assumptions are being made that you would have a lack of knowledge in the art. What’s the basis for such assumptions? Merely the fact that a member’s personal focus with Acaan is how to sell the effect? Or the apparent philosophy that there is no room for other methods? Oh, sure I agree that building suspense and selling the mystery is very important and much more important than technique but can that be a reason for being negative about a new method?

A description of two variants on your version is on its way to you.

Kind thoughts.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
181 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Hi there ferrymagic, you can send me a copy of your thinking on this subject as well if you wish.
I am keen to explore the variant methods. There are a number of clever ideas on the subject around.
There are also some which are not that clever or deceptive at all.
Nevertheless it does seem to be the case that subtle variations on existing ideas can make all the difference between a viable working method and rubbish.
It's interesting- what works for one person can seem useless to another until such time as a general consensus is reached.
I'll send you some feedback too on my views- I think I know most of the methods that are available and in the public arena.
So my views may be of use to you.
Incidentally a number of people have said that the effect is not that entertaining- to some audiences that may be true.
Today I performed the effect and some similar items to an audience of post doctorate scientists- they were gobsmacked- it hit their pleasure centres head on. They were incredulous.
Best wishes
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
harvini2
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of harvini2
I did still have not recieved it yet, as of today
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » 99,99% Berglas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL