The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Headhacking in Edinburgh (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Just got back yesterday fron Anthony Jacquin and Kevin Sheldrake's 2 day Trilby Course held in Edinburgh. Was great to meet up with them again and meet old friends from The Café, some I'd never met face to face before, Kinda' weird in a way.
Anyway suffice to say the course was packed with great training which was tested in the classroom before 'taking it to the people' in Edinburgh's George Street.
I guess everyone already knows how successful the Headhacking team are. The disssemination of both old and new 'stuff' was excellent, finally offering a veretable smorgasboard of knowledge, for both the newbie and some extremely experienced hypnotists who were also in attendance.
Anthony made no excuses for the great deal of time taken to spend on the many munitiae linked to The Hypnosis Act itself and the practical use of hypnosis in public places.
I can also confirm that when permission was asked the manager/owner was absolutely thrilled to have us, and of course the public loved it too. All in all a very professional course I'd be very happy to recommend to anyone. It's also a great chance for guys like us, who never get the chance to work together, to do just that.... great fun!
I'm already saving up my rupees to attend the next one in Paris.

Bob.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
horgan_p
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of horgan_p
Great to meet you as well Bob. When everyone gets together like we all did at lunch , theres a tangible feeling that we could easily achieve absolutely anything.
Really enjoyed the saturday night , even just jamming with other hypnotists , mentalists and magicians.

Thanks again , to all involved.

Paul Horgan

P.S. - wooohooo , first post !!!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yeah, and you did it without it being suggested to you (ahem!)
Gonna pop over to The Green Isle and say hi sometime in the near future Paul.
Was great to meet up with you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is it that the UK is so enamoured with the street hypnosis thing?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I dunno, why do you think America is so enamoured with stage hypnosis? As you know no one seems that interested in it over here yet they que for street stuff. It's strange, huh?
Maybe stage hypnotists are more entertaining over there and street guys are more entertaining over here.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9986 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I also don't get the appeal of street hypnosis in the U.K. After watching many videos and receiving some training programs centered around street hypnosis, I must admit it plays to me as nothing more than bar or pub "tricks"or (street" "magic".

It simply does not the true entertainment value of a stage hypnosis performance - the intrigue, mystique and overall amazement and astonishment. Audiences leave a good stage hypnosis show hurting in the gut from laughing so hard for so long, and are truly blown away more than most other types of entertainment. I also do not think many forms of entertainment leave such a lasting impact on an audience as a good stage hypnosis show. It's also one of the most pure forms of entertainment - a man (or women), a microphone and the power of words and suggestion. It also lets the common audience member become the true stars of the show. It's a journey from start to finish with drama, comedy, intrigue and hilarious comedy, and audience participation at the highest level that offers real mass appeal. I have had four generations from the same family in my audience at a show recently and each person enjoyed it at the highest level.

I'm sorry, I find it very hard to find any of this with street hypnosis. What street hypnosis seems to create is a "how'd they do that" and "I gotta learn to do that, it's so cool", which is what leads to the vast amount of young teens and twenty-somethings wanting to dive right in to do the same "tricks". I have spoke to many who also share my opinion, and who feel "street" could seriously hurt the stage industry.

I'm not sure if it's popularity on the other side of the pond is due to their laws and insurance with stage hypnosis and if this is a way around it, or if it's just a lazy mans form of street entertainment, but it doesn't make sense to many who take pride in learning, practicing and performing the science and art of hypnosis.

It's not a matter of being enamoured, it's like comparing apples and oranges. I challenge any street performer to have the appeal, effect and impact on an entire audience as with stage hypnosis. This is ridiculous.

Bobser, may be right, maybe stage is more entertaining over here, but there have been several well-accepted stage hypnotists from the U.K. in the past.

Perhaps since there are many different forums for many different types or facets of magic, it's time that there should be a separate forum here for Street Hypnosis to allow those who unite a place of their own, as so not to cloud the area of real stage hypnosis.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Naw, we need to stay in the same room so we can wind each other up constantly. Let me give you an example; you say 4 generations have come to your stage shows. I honestly thought by your posts that you were still in your teens. That last one had me -issing myself. So artful yet just a tad over the top maybe?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think the way the street magic has its own section the street hypnosis section should as well. At least we would not get confused with who is who would we?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Amit Badiani
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Amit Badiani
Hey Bob,

I couldent make it with the rest of the crew but would have been great to see you. Must catch up soon.

All the best

Amit - Headhacking
Amit@headhacking.com
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes Amit we keep missing each other. Next time hopefully.
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
To begin at the beginning...

'the intrigue, mystique and overall amazement and astonishment. Audiences leave a good stage hypnosis show hurting in the gut from laughing so hard for so long, and are truly blown away more than most other types of entertainment. I also do not think many forms of entertainment leave such a lasting impact on an audience as a good stage hypnosis show. It's also one of the most pure forms of entertainment - a man (or women), a microphone and the power of words and suggestion. It also lets the common audience member become the true stars of the show. It's a journey from start to finish with drama, comedy, intrigue and hilarious comedy, and audience participation at the highest level that offers real mass appeal.'

With the exception of the microphone, there is nothing here that cannot be achieved by an adroit performer of street hypnosis. I think the idea of 'street' can be a misnomer. Many performers use pubs or clubs as venues. An intimate pub can be entirely hushed and in a state of wonder elicited by a gifted performer. Many times a few becomes many and you have a show. Like a fringe show, sure, it's not Broadway, It's barely even off-off Broadway, but it is as real and as vivid for the audience in attendance as a theatrical experience in a larger venue. Audiences don't have our unique prejudices, they just want to be entertained and enjoy something which is pertinent to them. And an audience can be of any size. Jerzy Grotowski actually used to like to limit his audiences, Augusto Boal took theatre to the streets and worked with what he found. Peter Brook said that all you need for an act of theatre to take place is an actor (read hypnotist), an audience and some planks to stand on (and you can ditch the planks, at a push!). Like Bobser,(and please correct me if this is not the case, braw laddie) I revel in hypnosis in all of it's forms. Intimating that street hypnosis or street magic for that matter is a lesser form of entertainment, well, that's your opinion (and obviously one that folk you know share- but I bet you're very persuasive Smile ) however, that's just not my experience. Granted, a larger audience, gathered for the specific purpose of enjoying a cracking hypnotism show will have an amazing vibe, the expectation is already there, running high, and I bet the audience leaves feeling froody, but one of the things I enjoy about hypnosis out of the therapy room or off the stage is that you interact with Everyman, you meet folk that may have never considered hypnotism as an avenue for entertainment and a great night out. Now, if it is a kid doing 'bar tricks' then, yes, that's not at all helpful and possibly hurtful to the industry and maybe even dangerous should the individual have 'skipped the boring pages' to borrow from another thread, however, done well, with respect and due care, this form of entertainment can make folk think about hypnosis in a positive way and maybe they'll even consider going to a show where they may not have before. I just don't see why hypnosis has to be restricted to the stage, when the stage is constantly re-inventing itself as to what is 'the stage', what is 'theatre' and what constitutes 'a theatrical act'. Where I currently reside, Wayang Kulit is a form of entertainment where the audience sit for up to eleven hours watching shadow puppets, they disappear off for a drink, chat and go behind the screen to watch the Dalang (puppeteer). It's theatre, but different from mainstream theatre and when the Gamelan is going and four hundred people are avidly watching an epic battle enacted by one guy with several puppets, that my friends is a beautiful state! I totally understand that there are many professionals on this forum, who perform nightly and make a living from hypnosis and I am totally in awe of these individuals, they are shining examples of the efficacy and wonder of hypnosis and absolutely worthy of emulation, however, if we also accept that there is a rancid underbelly of trite runagates who prostitute this wonderful phenomena- could there not be a middle way? Is the ultimate goal of hypnosis to be paid? Can you not entertain someone with hypnosis without financial remuneration or does this go against some law? Should everyone on this forum be aiming to be a stage hypnotist?
The fringe element of hypnosis, Strolling players if you will(barnstormers- the ultimate in impromptu performers), were considered almost criminals in times gone by, but the public weren't the ones shunning them.

I've been a bit of a lurker, so sorry, but I just would like you all to know that I really enjoy this forum.
I had my appendix removed last week, and surgery, well, it promotes thinking.
Merry Christmas* to you all:
Danny with his profound knowledge
Kissy coming at it from all sides
Bobser, the Buddha of Surburbia (or at least Machrihanish)
Owen- a little bit of weird in Seville
Mindpro with the hard news for all to think on
Quicknotist with his direct thinking
TonyB who doesn't hypnotise anyone Smile
Mr. Chase, the belligerent bad boy of boshing
Shane with his wry humour
Zoto and his interesting engagements
Tiriri- Feliz Navidad companero- El mundo esta cambiando!
Mr. Nongard and his straight-down-the-line practical advice (thank you sir!)
Anthony (research, research)Jacquin, Kev and the Head-Hacking Collective
DmKraig King of the pithy put down and waaay too busy!
And of course, MP.
and apologies to those I haven't mentioned- it's a space thing.

Ian, sometimes known as Anansi.

Over to you, Brian.....

*insert celebratory period as appropriate
ars est celare artem
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
The fringe element of hypnosis, Strolling players if you will(barnstormers- the ultimate in impromptu performers), were considered almost criminals in times gone by, but the public weren't the ones shunning them.

Whoops!

Typo extreme: what I had in mind in my fever'd brain was- The fringe element of hypnosis might be considered akin to Strolling Players if you will(barnstormers- the ultimate in impromptu performers), who were considered almost criminals in times gone by, but the public weren't the ones shunning them.
ars est celare artem
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hey Ian/Anansi,
What a great post. I read it twice. Pop over to the UK anytime. We have spare rooms all over for the right people. I'm assuming you come from somewhere around Indonesia by your 'shadow puppet' comment?
Anyway, with regards to what this is really all about, I think you GET it. In fact I know you do.
Yours aye,
Bob
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Thanks Ian,
All the best to you and yours from me and mine!
Reg
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
Cheers lads!

I'm a bit worried that those posts contains positivity.....
Let's suck it and see.

Actually boys, I'm from the UK(living in Malaysia and hoping to meet the legendary Pakar Ilusu- check out his videos, he's cooooool Smile ) but haven't been around mainland Europe for ten or so years. hopefully , I'm gonna see the famous Ilusi this weekend (if he is available), and I checked out(and purchased) PLI, so I'm covered.Smile
A little info: I've been travelling for the best part of twelve years learning what I can from the Aymara Indians, the Mapuche and the Quechua. Recently, I've transferred my affections to the Hokkien Chinese and Hindu Spiritualists. My work is veering towards a spiritual nature. (open for criticism).

on my last post:

Gents, you are too kind.

I learnt entirely because of guys like you, like Anthony (I am a proud member of the Manchurian Collective), Richard Busch and Jerome Finley; I don't think what I have to say carries weight but I have to tell you, I do check this forum every day for what you guys say, and as a consequence, the feedback I receive colours my thinking.

Bobser- I would consider it a signal honour to meet with you, let alone establish digs in Auld Reekie. As far as am concerned, there is so much to learn and you occupy a grand seat of learning. You approach our art with the graciousness that we all should have when appreciating what we do. I realise this could come across as brown-nosing, but hey, I don't know you and I have been informed that your nose is indeed another colour entirely.s

And the same to you and yours Reg!(that's a bit clumsy , can I call you that?)- always respectful as to what you post, because, simply, you say it cleanly. You obviously care and that radiates through your posts. I'm close and would relish the chance to pick your brains.NZ is but a whisper away- we should be talking!

Answers on a postcard!

And thank you all, for your toil, you're attention and your expertise.

I. x
ars est celare artem
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
This boy is extremely clever. You guys need to listen more to what he says. And start respecting me a bit more by the way.
epsilon38
View Profile
New user
France
6 Posts

Profile of epsilon38
I had the chance to meet Bobser at the Trilby Connection in Edinburgh and I can only confirm that this was a great moment of sharing and performing magic and hypnosis with someone a long way ahead in the craft. As English is not my mother tong I don't post too much but rest assure that I read and enjoy most of your interesting discussions.
May be I will have the chance to see some of you at the next time will be the Manchurian approach in Paris the 19th/20th March 2011 in Paris.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
@Anansi - I trust you are recovering nicely if not fully recovered. Hope you had a nice christmas and best wishes for the new year. Smile
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-12-13 18:26, bobser wrote:
I dunno, why do you think America is so enamoured with stage hypnosis? As you know no one seems that interested in it over here yet they que for street stuff. It's strange, huh?
Maybe stage hypnotists are more entertaining over there and street guys are more entertaining over here.

They also que in bars for the toilet. Steet or impromtu hypnotists have to hi-jack a crowd. We create them. My first three shows in 10 years had over 300 on average attend each show all PAYING £13.50 for the privilidge and that was during one of the toughest times even for established acts during the Edinburgh festival. Compare the reaction from the audience with any street or impromtu. Ask anybody what they would rather see...or aske them which they would book or pay to see.

The truth is that street hypnotists do it for their own ego and need for attention. "Good" stage hypnotists do it for payment and to satisfy the audience. They are also far more knowledgable and skilled hypnotists as well as stage workers.

There is no comparison. A glut of Poorly trained and un skilled pub hypnotists ruined the industry in the 90s. The new wave of "hypnotists" are even a step or two below them.

I believe the interest is there in the UK for the younger generations but it needs kick started which costs money. I have also bumbed into quite a few people who were at the shrink shows in the summer and they have raved about them.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 17:52, mindpunisher wrote:
My first three shows in 10 years had over 300 on average attend each show all PAYING £13.50 for the privilidge and that was during one of the toughest times even for established acts during the Edinburgh festival. Compare the reaction from the audience with any street or impromtu. Ask anybody what they would rather see...or aske them which they would book or pay to see.

LOL. Stop being silly. The first show had about 100 and half of those tickets were given away to friends and family. If you don't think that is the case then I guess the person I spoke to was at a different show. However given that they are the figures you yourself quoted to a friend I guess not. Lack of due diligence meant the show was stopped halfway through. By the time of your third I heard things got so desparate, after a sizable portion of the audience left during the interval, that when it got to your big finale - two men stripped and in a bathtub - many audience members noted that the two men, your stars, were wearing unusual but matching underpants - that looked a bit like trunks Smile I guess two for one was cheaper? Did you need the comfort of two stooges or was it just chance they had the same pants on? Do you not think this is dangerously damaging to the industry.

Stop rewriting history. Or better still, just for me, keep fibbing to yourself and state clearly again that you sold 'over 300 tickets' to your first night in Edinburgh? You know that is not the case you said it yourself in previous posts here.

You are losing it.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Headhacking in Edinburgh (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL