The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Has any woman contributed anything groundbreaking to magic? (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi All,

In his dynamic and constantly growing eBook, "Ask Roberto," Roberto Giobbi made this statement in the latest installment:

"I’ve yet to find a woman who has contributed anything groundbreaking to magic, but would be interested to learn if anybody of you knows more."

How might you respond?
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
She's only nine years old, but already Wiz Kid Wilhelmina has come up with three original subtle moves for standard tricks and three completely new and original tricks. Check out her accomplishments in Her Bio under "Goodenough, Wilhelmina" here ( http://magicnook.com/forum/bioFG.htm ). So far she's the youngest.

Going back into the past, we have Anna Eva Fay's "Spirit Handkerchief," Frances Ireland Marshall's many kid show originations, Elizabeth Warlock's rope effects and Anti-Gravity Glasses. I am sure there are others. But of course, it depends on how you define "Ground-breaking magic" to someone like Roberto Giobbi.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
I think the name Anna Eva Fay is enough by itself. Where would mentalism be if it wasn't for her and the other Victorian mediums who came up with most of the classic ideas that we all use now?

I think that Roberto's statement is hugely narrow minded. Given that magic is massively male dominated, is it really a great suprise that there is only a small percentage of women contributing to it?
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-12-15 06:04, Rebecca_Harris wrote:
I think the name Anna Eva Fay is enough by itself. Where would mentalism be if it wasn't for her and the other Victorian mediums who came up with most of the classic ideas that we all use now?

Yes totally!
Not to mention, how many magician's 'assistants' never got credit I wonder?

Quote:
Given that magic is massively male dominated, ...

I think (hope) this is changing. I'm always happy at the number of girls who come to my magic classes; and if I do any magic at the library I work at it's more often the girls who are interested enough to check out a book.

Over the summer I had a group come to see a library show because they thought I was a woman magician (that's what happenswhen your name is Courtney!); they gave me my favorite compliment of the year:
"We didn't even notice you weren't a girl!" Smile
I recommended Heather Rogers and Caddwynn to them after the show, I hope they were able to see them.

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 12:42pm
Also what about Charlotte Pendragon. I don't think there is any question (although I could be wrong) that the Pendragons revolutionized metamorphosis, and Charlotte Pendragon was at least half of that revolution.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
I think that Roberto's statement is hugely narrow minded. Given that magic is massively male dominated, is it really a great surprise that there is only a small percentage of women contributing to it?

I agree. There are many who have had/have an influence, but not given proper credit. Luna Shimada has created many things (behind the scenes as well) and she is still alive and breathing, so far as I know. Adelaide Hermann ring a bell anyone? Tina Lennert? The list goes on of course.

Have any of these women created some obscure card slight? This is probably Giobbi's only concern sadly.
Official Thread Killer
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I'm still trying to figure out where Celeste put all those doves.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
OMG, research Adelaide Herrmann and you'll find one heck of an innovator.
Also Talma Queen of Coins, and Dot Robinson.
The early ladies were masters of illusion...

Walt
ELDEMONIO
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of ELDEMONIO
It's obvious that the large number of male performers will undoubtebly fog a little great female performers, specialy to laymen I think. I believe Giobbi's statement isn't meant in any negative way although some might take it as a negative challenging statement. I believe he is trying to show that he hasn't found women who have reached the hihg ranks other male performers have, such as, Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin, Houdini, Dai Vernon, etc. These men dramatically changed the face of magic, and I belive Mr. Giobbi is trying to find a woman that is comperable to these legends. Could the names of the women mentioned above be in the same ranks?
I'm familiar with magic history and it's performers, but not an authority in any way for me to say such a statement. I believe there are great women performers and thinkers now and in our past, and perhaps they havn't gotten the respect and prestige they deserve.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Yes, many women were/are in the same ranks as the great performers, inventors, and innovators.

And it is too true that they have not received the same prestige and respect as their male counterparts.

Just attend a local IBM or SAM meeting to see the general attitude towards women today,
and you'll have an idea of the magnified feelings of lady-magi of other times.

Walt
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Let us not forget Lulu Hearst, The Famous Georgia Magnet.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
ELDEMONIO
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of ELDEMONIO
This is a very interesting topic. Does anyone know good books or documentaries of women in magic? I went to the screening of the documentary Women In Boxes at the magic castle and what an informative movie. If you haven't seen the film you can watch it here http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/women_in_boxes/
I believe the director of the film said they would make a sequel named "women outside boxes" or something to those lines, and it would be about great female performers in magic.
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
All of my magician friends seem to think that Ursula Martinez broke new ground with a TT. I am not familiar with her work. Can anyone tell me about her. Did she put out an instructional DVD?
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
She does her act as a strip tease, doing the same trick (A TT scarf production) over and over in various states of undress until finally nude and producing a scarf from her...urm...most private parts.
I would consider her a novelty act, not a groundbreaker. The act is amusing at best.
I am guessing most of your magician friends are male.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Lets not forget Lulu Hurst, the "Georgia Magnet"

Really, that original statement struck me as just incredibly ignorant and maybe a bit sexist.

Edit; whoops, someone else beat me to almost exactly the same post!

Edit 2: "Could the names of the women mentioned above be in the same ranks? "

Absolutely! Ms. Hurst was at least as well known in her day and created a whole new kind of act. (One could argue that it was inspired/informed by sideshow strongman acts, but then Houdini wasn't the first to get out of a rope, either Smile )
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
Quote:
On 2011-01-12 10:13, gsidhe wrote:
She does her act as a strip tease, doing the same trick (A TT scarf production) over and over in various states of undress until finally nude and producing a scarf from her...urm...most private parts.
I would consider her a novelty act, not a groundbreaker. The act is amusing at best.
I am guessing most of your magician friends are male.

Wow....Just wow! Thank you for that "interesting piece of info". Yes, most of my magician friends are male, in fact by nature of loving the art of magic and being a magician myself, all of my non magician friends are male as well. Most of the women I know do not get my love for magic or for my love of entertaining.
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Quote:
On 2010-12-13 08:51, panlives wrote:
In his dynamic and constantly growing eBook, "Ask Roberto," Roberto Giobbi made this statement in the latest installment:

"I’ve yet to find a woman who has contributed anything groundbreaking to magic, but would be interested to learn if anybody of you knows more."

What a strangely backward thing for him to say. Disappointing.
scottsheltonmagic
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
59 Posts

Profile of scottsheltonmagic
Gay Blackstone!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Gay Blackstone has produced more hours of television than anyone in one year Male or female. Yes, she is still thought of by many as simply the widow of Harry Blackstone. She is much much more.

Dothy Dietrich has broken much ground in the field of escapes. Adelinne Herman was a major star in her own right.

I think some people need to read their history more and look beyond just a few years span.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-12-13 08:51, panlives wrote:
Hi All,

In his dynamic and constantly growing eBook, "Ask Roberto," Roberto Giobbi made this statement in the latest instalment:

"I�ve yet to find a woman who has contributed anything groundbreaking to magic, but would be interested to learn if anybody of you knows more."

How might you respond?

This is a classic example of the "foot in mouth" syndrome imho...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
Quite an impressive list of groundbreaking contributions that has been complied in this thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Has any woman contributed anything groundbreaking to magic? (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL