The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » POOR MANS MULTIPLYING SILICONE BILLIARD BALLS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
In designing a new routine with my balls I glanced at the balloons I also had in my room. It occoured to me that the balloons could be fit over balls. Take wooden balls from Joan Fabrics or whatever other kind of ball desired. Cut the end off a proper sized balloon and stretch it over the ball. You could have esentially a ball with the proper weight as sold on magic sites. Sure not as pretty but is cheap and workable. You could then make the shell out of ping pong, racquet, tennis, or whatever. Then glue the balloon over that. These could also be easily changed if a different colors are needed.

Also you could fill a ping pong ball with sand for weight patch the hole somehow and cover the hole thing with the balloon. Maybe inserting an led light on a battery having glowing balls. How to make the shells glow the same I don't know but a single ball for a color change would be great.

Another thought would be taking a wooden set then covering them with some sort of transparent rubbery spray. Classic look with a new feel. Any thoughts?
Jeremy Gates
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I think in Tarbell there is an effect where you stretch a balloon tightly over a ball then you nick the balloon with your fingernail or a hidden device and the balloon comes off the ball causing a color change.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Kind of like the color changing balloon thanks Eldon.

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 2:19pm
A good grip spray for wooden balls would be this. Got to buy it to be certain though. http://garage-toys.com/supergripspray.html
Jeremy Gates
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 14:19, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
A good grip spray for wooden balls would be this. Got to buy it to be certain though. http://garage-toys.com/supergripspray.html

Jeremy,

I think you may have something there. I can see lots of applications for the super grip spray. Might be worth the $9.00. Something else that I have found that works very well is clear liquid latex. Use it on hank balls if you have trouble palming the ball because of small palms or if your hands are extremly dry. With latex on the ball you can't hardly shake the ball lose even when you sling your hand very hard. The latex also does not leave any residue or damage the surface in any way. Great stuff and cheap. You can find it at a store that sells clown or theatrical make up.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

So your saying there is a product called what I was looking for? Clear Liquid Latex is the products name?

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 6:33pm
A bit off topic but I suppose the Super Grip Spray could also be used on prop eggs and other gimmicks like said hank ball.
Jeremy Gates
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 16:42, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
So your saying there is a product called what I was looking for? Clear Liquid Latex is the products name?

Yes just go to a store or online that specializes in theater make up and just look for liquid latex. Liquid latex is used to apply latex noses or other specail effects make up. You can buy the flesh colored latex and use it because it dries clear. A small bottle is very cheap. Here is a link; http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/effects.htm

David
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
FYI - Liquid Latex will be white in its liquid form, but will dry relatively clear. The thicker it is applied the more of an amber color you will notice. Now, here's a cool tip... If you mix latex or acrylic paint with liquid latex, when it dries, it will become the color of the paint, although when first mixed with the liquid latex it will appear lighter because of the white tint to the latex. In other words, your mixture, if you used say, red paint with the liquid latex, might appear quite pink before it dries, but would be red when dry. You'd have to experiment with the ratio.

If this mixture is thinned a bit, you can pour some in a paper cup, and dip the ball into it. If you pound a push pin into a wooden ball first, you'll have something to hang the ball from as it dries. It may take all day to dry, and it may take a few coats to become nice and opaque, but better to use thin coats than a thicker one. Thick coats drip slowly, and it's more likely a "frozen" drip will form at the bottom of the ball. Thin coats run and drip faster and lessen this occurrence .
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Michael,

That is some great info. I know I will be able to use this tip down the road.

David
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-20 19:07, Darkwing wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 16:42, J.G. the magnificent wrote:

Yes just go to a store or online that specializes in theater make up and just look for liquid latex. Liquid latex is used to apply latex noses or other special effects make up. You can buy the flesh colored latex and use it because it dries clear. A small bottle is very cheap. Here is a link; http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/effects.htm

David

thanks David

Quote:
On 2010-12-20 22:54, Darkwing wrote:
Michael,

That is some great info. I know I will be able to use this tip down the road.

David

Dito
Jeremy Gates
Al Leach
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Al Leach
That color change idea rings some Richard Ross bells in my head
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Interesting ideas here! Keep us appraised.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

I tried wrapping balloons over some ping pong balls. Then after finding the smallest possible size without being too small like water balloons. They were still to large to be tight all the way around. I might just order some online since they don't appear to have the right size at any local stores. Yet I really don't need any poor mans billiard balls right now. So I will do it when I have money to waist. It is really just a nice idea for anyone that could use it.
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Just had a thought rather than using ping pong balls or wooden ones. You could use a magicians set just to be able to change the color without puchasing other balls. Unless of course you need extras.
Jeremy Gates
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
But it would be a way to make balls that were light and grippy. Fakinis are heavy. At least the 2 inch size is.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1392 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
You can also paint silicone!!

buy regular 100% silicone sealant from your local home store.. along with some NAPTHA.

Thin the silicone just a bit with the naptha.. color it however you want with oil paint.. and paint it with a brush.. or if you thin the silicone enough.. dip it.

hang it from a string to let it dry.

it'll take some time for it to dry because the naptha does take some time to evaporate.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Just so happens that lately I've been thinking about some of the very ideas raised in this topic.

After a ridiculously long absence from magic I've recently seen the error of my ways and have returned to the fold. Last October my wife informed me that I would be putting on a brief magic show at our Christmas party. I spent the intervening weeks practicing with every form of "billiard" ball on the market except Fakinis. OK, OK, I'm gonna break down and get some of those next.

As a kid I used a 1 1/2" German wood which I still have. (I love wooden balls - please, no Pinocchio jokes) They work great if my hands are "just so" moisture and temperature-wise. But if my hands are too dry, like they typically are in the winter, then I'm in trouble. Lotions and creams, including the much beloved Chamberlains help...but only somewhat.

So I tried some Empire golf balls. Smallish, but OK for a parlor setting. They have a snug fitting shell which, as noted in other posts, is made of metal and does not quite match the balls in either color or texture. Close, but not identical. (By the way, Target sells sets of practice golf balls that look like the same balls...and they are cheap. They should be perfect for a flash four production as set out in the Tim Wright DVD.)

But I digress. Anyway, since the Empire balls are relatively cheap, and the Target balls even cheaper, I thought I would experiment on some for fun...drill holes for "silk to ball" and spray them with various coatings to see if I could get a better color match.

Along the way, I also got a cheapo set of "Gorilla Grip" balls on the big auction site. Stop laughing, I said they were cheap. I got what I paid for. Funky rubber balls that bounce great (For what that's worth. At least I don't have to stoop when I drop em...they just bounce back. Cool.) but the shells (two in a set) SUCK. They're made of a very slippery hard plastic that in no way resemble the balls. The balls themselves are very clingy...change over p*lms are a breeze. But other sleights can suffer. Alas, there is such a thing as too much cling. Hmmm, so I'm saying to myself, more candidates for tweaking.

So here's what I'm gonna try first:

#1 - Rust-Oleum specialty Plastic spray paint which is touted as a direct-to-plastic paint. I assume that it produces a somewhat flexible finish since it is used for breathing new life into plastic outdoor furniture.

#2 - Plasti-Dip-Aerosol Synthetic Rubber Coating sprayed on in very thin coats. Heck, why not?

I think I'll also give a shot to some of the materials others have mentioned is this thread.

Glad to see that others are trying to think outside the box. Can't wait to see what others offer up on this topic.

Fakinis notwithstanding, I suspect that the "perfect" manipulator's ball has yet to be developed.

I'll post the results of my fiendish experiments here but don't hold your breath cause snow is in the forecast for the next few days. Perfect weather for curling up in front of the fire with my wife...or a good book. Say, where did I put my set of Rice's Encyclopedia of...

Bye

PS - By the way, I did the show with a set of Goshman's sponge multiplying balls...they were great. Everybody loved it and I didn't drop a one!
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
David,

Just by conservative estimate, considering everything you already have purchased, and plan to purchase, you could be practicing with a nice set of Fakini's right now. Smile

~michael (another fiend for excessive experimentation)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
"David,

Just by conservative estimate, considering everything you already have purchased, and plan to purchase, you could be practicing with a nice set of Fakini's right now."

I know.
I know.
God help me, I know.

I didn't even mention the various wooden sets I've acquired.

The military warns against "mission creep". I suffer from billiard "ball creep".

Hello, my name is David and I'm a ballaholic. Smile
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I was about to say, "Show me yours and I'll show you mine," but decided that sounded just plain creepy.

Fess up! You're a hoarder just like the rest of us. You're just more focused.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 11:54, Michael Baker wrote:
I was about to say, "Show me yours and I'll show you mine," but decided that sounded just plain creepy.

Fess up! You're a hoarder just like the rest of us. You're just more focused.

BUSTED! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » POOR MANS MULTIPLYING SILICONE BILLIARD BALLS (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL