The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Solenoid help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Dear Friends,

I am working on a proyect where I need to make a basket move remotely. Is a small rocking movement. I was thinking I could use a solenoid like the ones used in pinball machines. I am looking where to get on cylinder type push rode type solenoid that will retract to the original position after activated. It needs to work at 12V or less.

Any help or other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy holidays to all.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
You can use the solenoids from automatic door car locks. Those are 12 volts and at the same time you can get a set with matching remote control units. They are the car anti-theft systems available in most car shops.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
You could do without a solenoid if you need rocking movement. You could just as easily use a small electric motor with an off-centered weight on the shaft. Just like in a vibrating cellphone or an adult toy.
Sent from my Typewriter
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Carlos,
I would recommend what MVMAGIC said and use a Motor w/ a Cam attached to the shaft. It is not as noisy and you can control the shaking either using a potentiometer or RPM of the particular motor.
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Thanks, I will consider this option, see what I can find.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I like the cam idea too. However, I've built several props using the solenoid from an electric door bell. Not a whole lot of power, but some self-contained bells (as in Home Depot) are dirt-cheap.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Check this place out for an off set motor, or you go to the toy store and buy one of those balls with the tail on it.

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/search.as......er+motor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Solenoid help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL