The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Magi Fest 2011 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Not too early to plan, it will be here soon! Who is planning on going? The new digs should be interesting...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I'm going and am VERY excited about the new location! I hear the hotel is really nice.
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
We will be there.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I'll be there.
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
This is a great tradition as this poem shows:

THE MAGICIAN'S CLUB.
A Fife Dream — by Fred W. KING.
In the Land of Illusions, (near no one knows where),
Stands the Club of the magical boys;
Where big fish and small ones will gather each night
To talk of mysterious joys.
I spent a few hours last night at the Club,
At my ease in a big arm chair;
The crowd was select and the gathering large.
For the following "Wizards" were there:
There was Herrmann the Great, with his nephew Leon,
Taking coins from the eyebrows of Kellar,
While Hornmann and Zizka and T. Nelson Downs.
Played tag with a wizard named Heller.
Will Robinson then, in an up-to-date way,
Danced two steps with clever E. Maro,
Thus leaving Clivette and Servais LeRoy
To listen to Jap Sonetaro.
Harry Hardin was there with a bunch of ideas
And handed them out to Fred Hurd;
J. Henricks and Krieger and great Imro Fox
Called Hewes, the White Yogi, a bird.
Then Thompson asked Powell where Schindle had gone,
As LeRoy of Boston came in
With Harry Houdini (of great Western fame)
Who was rattling his handcuffs of tin.
Welsh Miller with Wingard, Prof. Salsburg and Green,
Drank a health wishing H. Bloomfield luck,
Assisted by Cairman, John Whalen, Dr. Merlin and Struck.
Our friend Shaw was there and Burlingame too,
And the Hamleys' of London, they say.
A. Roterberg came with Manchhachand you know,
To pass a few hours away.
Many others were there, but I don't know their names,
Though I shook hands and bid each good night.
Now if you get a chance, you just visit the "Club,"
You bet you'll be treated all right.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Bsears-

If anyone would like, I would be glad to do a review of the hotel, although it has a very good reputation...

Jim
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Anyone care to split a room?

PM or email me!
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Jim - please tell us about the hotel. I have not seen it personally, but my dad, who is in the hotel business, spoke highly of the chain.

I know some of the guys here in cincy who come each year were wondering about restaurants either in the hotel or walking distance, what the set-up for the dealers might be like, and if there would be a good lobby or some other place for hanging out and sessions.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Bspears-

Here is what I know:

1. The hotel is a Marriott, and has been extensively remodeled. My understanding is the rooms can be a little small, especially the bath, but well appointed. If you get the Magi-Fest block price it is a good deal, especially as I understand it includes underground parking.

2. Don't know what the MagiFest brass have worked out, but they always seem to have plenty of room for sessioning in the lobby. This hotel has a very nice lobby, so it should be great for that.

3. The main advantage this year, and I give props to Crown Plaza for being great hosts in past years, is the proximity of things. This hotel is in the middle of the downtown area, which admittedly is pretty tame. It is no more than a block from the State House, and a number of good restaurants are within easy walking, such as-
The Tip Top- noisy big portions
The Plantain- authentic Cuban
Due Amici- more quiet and almost elegant
Latitude 41- in the hotel and well regarded

In addition, close to the Short North, the Arena District and other neat areas. Much, much more to do close by even though the City Center is no more so not a lot of shopping around. Great if you bring your family, although those who have been before know that there is so much magic action little time is left for the magi to go many places.

One last thing, don't pass up the big show. It is always worth seeing…

Hope this helps!

Jim
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Very excited to be attending as a dealer this year! I'll be there dealing for Big Blind Media so definitely come by and say hi!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Cameron-

Will do-will be excited to meet you!

Jim
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
To be honest this year's line up did not excite me. So I will be taking a pass on Magi-fest this year for a different convention. I try to do 3 to 4 conventions a year. Usually Magifest is a must attend.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 23:42, RichardShure wrote:
To be honest this year's line up did not excite me. So I will be taking a pass on Magi-fest this year for a different convention. I try to do 3 to 4 conventions a year. Usually Magifest is a must attend.

OMG....REALLY? Man, I wish I was in the country for this. I would NOT miss this convention!!!

Greg Frewin, Gene Anderson, Daryl, Rick Merrill, Johnny Ace Palmer, ASI WIND(worth the price of admission), Greg Wilson AND Boris Wild? I wish I could cancel part of my own tour to make it.....

I hope you reconsider!
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Eric,
The names are impressive. However, I have seen Frewin x2, Anderson x4, Merrill x3, Palmer, x1, Asi Wind (new), Greg Wilson x1 with story not good, Wild (new).

So for me this is a rehashed convention. I would like to see some new names and acts.
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
I've seen them all a lot more than 6X, and I never tire, some acts are classic, and some always evolve, like Eric, and can't wait to see what they will do new, or with a new twist. Frewin is famous for that. Far from re-hashed IMHO. Kinda like saying I won't watch that Giants game, saw one before. Smile
dand243
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dand243
Hi ive live in the akron area and ive never been to magifest or any other convention for that matter. I was thinking about attending this year but after looking at the prices even for a one day pass it seems pretty steep plus with the cost of a room. I know I cant afford to go this year but was wondering if someone could give me insight on what goes on here. I looked at the website and it just looks like your paying money to get in somewhere to pay more money for products. any help would be appreciated. thanks
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
No, the dealers room is only a part of it. There are a number of lectures, close-up shows, full evening shows, and additonal events. The comeradery and friends you made are what bring some year after year, some come just to see what is new on the market, some for the shows, some for the lecturers, and most for it all. Sounds like it might be your first convention if you do make it, you would not be disappointed with this one. Its always worth the effort.
hefemexy
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
Ha Ha, I will be attending magi-fest this year as my second year going, and next year I'll be there, but as an act that will be performing. No no one there has sent me a contract or anyting, but that's just me, Mr. Big Balls that's my new name..lol I will put it out there now. Just going last year gave me such insight and experience from learning from the pro's to just seeing new ideas from others you wouldn't regret it dand243. I tell you if Eric and Craig suggest a convention then it might not be one that you might want to miss.
Okay, I give up what was your card?

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic
dand243
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dand243
Thanks for the info guys. sounds really cool and makes me more disappointed that I'm not gonna be there. but now that I kno what conventions are like ill try to make it to another one this year or to magifest next year.
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Lion, I look forward to seeing you again this year, and watch you kill em next year, God willin and the Creek don't rise. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Magi Fest 2011 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL