The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Technique! Technique? Technique! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
Hi there.
Over the last month I've seen many beginner DVDs. I've seen the same sculptures over and over again and the artists often use little different techiques. I've seen some good and some bad techniques.

But is there any video out there that teaches not only basic sculptures but very fast twisting techniques?
I mean is there a DVD (or book) out there that has a focus more on the technique than the sculpture?

Okay! Every twister has his or her own style. And I think you will develop your own style with the years of modeling.

So is there no need to learn a good/proper technique at first? Is it all about quantity? Doing 1.000 dogs and 500 bears and you have found/developed a good technique?

Is it all about quality? Doing only 10 dogs but learning slowly and with the right technique just from the beginning?

Or somewhere in between?

Back to the topic: Is there a DVD teaching techniques instead of sculptures or is there no need for such a DVD?!

Or is this a silly question at all?
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Not a silly question. In every profession it should be encouraged to learn proper technique. Are you seeking information on how to physically handle the balloon (to keep it from popping), or a course that teaches the different techniques of twisting (pinch twist, raisin twist, etc), or both? "Fast" comes with repetition, but if you become fast using an inefficient technique, you'll have a hard time changing.

I would be an advocate of such a rudimentary course in balloon twisting. If it is your desire to be a better artist and be able to make "anything", then you need to know what the building blocks are. It was the "Basic Balloon Sculpture Book" by George Schindler (still available) that got me started and I remember that the basic handling and the basic twists were taught very well. Learning the more advanced techniques came when I went to conventions/balloon jams and worked side by side with those more skilled than I.

I do not know of a DVD that would be what you're looking for. I remember in the early days you would buy a $30 VHS because it featured a creation that used a new technique you wanted to learn. It seemed that every few months more videos would come out featuring yet another new technique, each costing $30. Didn't take long for your shelves to get full and your bank account empty. If your local jams aren't teaching you, consider going to one of the conventions. It will be money well spent.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
Wes,
thanks for your fast and long answer.

Quote:
On 2010-12-14 09:43, Wes Holly wrote:
Are you seeking information on how to physically handle the balloon (to keep it from popping), or a course that teaches the different techniques of twisting (pinch twist, raisin twist, etc), or both?

I know the basic twists (pinch, fold, ear, tulip ...) and can do them properly. So I am looking for information how to "physically handle the balloon" - and this in an very effective and - with practice - fast method. Nice said by the way! Smile

Quote:
"Fast" comes with repetition, but if you become fast using an inefficient technique, you'll have a hard time changing.

Yes, that is exactly the point I don't want to come across!

Quote:
Didn't take long for your shelves to get full and your bank account empty.

:bg: Smile Smile
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I agree with everything Wes said. If you know most of the twists, then practice and experience will be your best teacher. Go to jams and conventions, because balloon twisting is a very tactile art, and you learn a lot of subtle things that can't be learned from a DVD or Youtube. If increasing speed is important, learn how to make shortcuts. For example, maybe you have a sculpture that has pinch twists for the knees or elbows, you can speed things up by using bends instead of pinch twists. Also, consider what can be left off from a sculpture to increase speed. If I need to, I'll leave the antennae off butterflies if I think there are going to be a lot of traffic. Butterflies are popular for me and not putting the antennae one one doesn't save a lot of time, but leaving the antennae off several saves a lot of time especially when added to some other time saving techniques. Another example: I used to draw Spider Man's face, but now I use a printed Spider Man face on a 5" round. This is much faster. It costs me more, but it is worth it to me.

To answer your question about quality or quantity, I like what Michael Ammar said about practice: "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." If you make 1000 teddy bears that are out of proportion and don't look all that great, you will have a bit of "unlearning" to do. While speed is important, I think it's also important that the sculpture looks good. Practice getting your sculptures to look good and develop an eye for proportion. This can also be attained from practice and attention to detail.

I hope this has helped!!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Bad to the balloon DVDs are all about speed and doing great art too.

The detail twist menu shows twist techniques that save a lot of time... my goal in making it was to improve the speed of twisters.

Any questions PM me!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
Guys,
thanks for your advice! Smile

What I mean with "fast" technique is not only a very fast technique but also getting fast from one twist to the other in a proper way. How to move the hands in a smooth way not bringing the balloon down to do a twist, then up doing the next twist, down again doing the next twist...

Then I am interested how to hold and grab the balloon in a correct way.

Hey Mark, I will PM you soon. BTTB is on my wish list for the next year. Smile

Must leave now. Will be back later!
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I think you may be "over thinking" this. There are not too many ways to get from one twist to the other since most of the balloons we use are effectively straight lines. In Mark's BTTB series, he uses the bending of balloons instead of pinch twists that I mentioned in my post above quite extensively. Unless I am "under thinking" this, there are not very many ways to "hold and grab a balloon." Just hold the balloon in a manner that is comfortable. If you want to increase speed but also create great balloon sculptures, spin some brain cycles looking for great pieces that can be done quickly but still get that "Wow" factor. A balloon that has an LED light inside it will get a very similar reaction to an amazing creation that takes five times as long to create. Mark's BTTB series is loaded with sculptures that get a great reaction, but can be done quickly.

Another thing to concentrate on is not being the fastest, but to be as entertaining as possible. I'd rather be entertaining than a balloon animal machine. You want people to want to hire you because you are the only you. You can charge more for your services this way.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

I do get what your talking about the reduction of movement is what I have specialized in for years.

Things to think about to reduce your movement, conserve your personal energy, and cut out redundancy :
• Tie the knot once, many time you have two or more balloons that need to be tied together ... do that!! don't tie one then tie the other then tie them together .... Get it?
• In my swan design I show a technique I don't think many use. I tie a loop while the inside a loop then use a sharp pulling motion to link them together .... btw it looks really cool to do too
• I do as Ken says prefer to use a pinch bend to to a ear twist for speed better form and a more art like quality.
• Keep your balloons close, the less you have to reach for things the better.
• I have a new cutter I been using for 6 months and I love it. It is on a Janitor key ring and cannot be wrong sided, cut you or uses scissor action.
• My markers use one hand. Retractable Dry erase..
• Speed knotting something I have bee doing for years
• Wrapping in rather than tying off excess balloon
• If you can get away with less do it. Nobody says the Lootle has to be 6 bubbles [well except Robbie : )] My monkey head is only 3 bubbles [funky money not on DVD ...yet]

Speed & precession is part of my entertainment. I amazes and dazzles an audience with it. On top of that is the banter.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
Mark,
thanks for your advice. Can I learn some of those "techniques" in your DVDs?!

I am also using those Eddings (retract), they are GREAT:
http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_......ersetzen
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-20 04:32, BigSmile wrote:
Mark,
thanks for your advice. Can I learn some of those "techniques" in your DVDs?!

I am also using those Eddings (retract), they are GREAT:
http://de.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_......ersetzen

Yes most of that is on DVD or you just read about it : )

Too bad those Edding markers don't come in White RETRACTABLES.

For retractable markers I use the EXPO dry erase markers available at Office Depot and many other retailers in USA.

Haven't found a Retractable opaque white or yellow marker yet..... for that I use MeanStreak by Sanford marking stick. Kind of a quick dry cream crayon.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Technique! Technique? Technique! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL