The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A card trick: which presentation sounds better? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Which opening presentation sounds better for this card trick?
The idea is to present a fair way to choose a card, with no possibility of force or foreknowledge.
Any reasonings on why would be helpful to understand the psychology of presentation.

Cards have not been brought out yet.
Have volunteer pick a number from 1 to 10 - don't tell me.
Then pick a card suit - again, don't tell me.
Now I hand over the deck: Find your card and pull it out.
Show your friends but don't let me see it.

Or:

Set the deck on the table in front of them and cover it with a cloth.
Have them cut the deck through the cloth and pull off the top card at the cut.
Complete the cut, still through the cloth, and then cut one more time.

(At this point, depending on the situation, I could do a couple of things:
-- A reveal of some kind
-- Match it with an ID
-- Perhaps have them reinsert the card into the middle of the deck, then pull out the ID, then spread the original deck to show their card as the only face-down card)

Ed
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I think simple is best. If you are using a marked deck or some other hand-off way of knowing the card then just hand them the deck and ask them to examine it, shuffle it, select one card and table the rest of the deck.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Part of it is to deliberately and obviously prevent me from knowing the card. For instance, a group of tweens intent on "you did this!" nonsense. Or a presentation wrapped increating an impossible situation.

"Okay - then let's test me, shall we?
You say I make you take a certain card?
Here - I won't touch the deck.
You say they're marked and I can see it?
Here - let's cover it with a cloth."

The pick-a-number-and-suit begins the fairness before they even know they're dealing with cards, and totally precludes the possibility of a force or other set-up.

Oh - and the deck is CHaSeD, so a shuffle could make me hafta do something else on the fly! Smile

Ed
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Sometimes we can over-do it and only confuse the layman. I'd be careful of falling into the "magic for magicians" trap here. I thin kwhen you over-complicate it you make it seem to common people like there is more chance for hanky-panky, not less.

I think laymen are most baffled by actions that seem natural and 'everyday."
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I wonder if the pick-a-number might go better if I had one person pick a number, another choose a suit, and both whisper their choices to a third person who simply looked through the deck and pulled the card out. Now I've got three people involved, it's a very fair method, and there's less motivation to shuffle away the CHaSeD.

Probably very late in the game, but I'm going into a class of 7th graders tomorrow, so I wanted something a bit more mentally stimulating that my usual fare. I might try it all three ways during different periods and see what kinds of reactions I get.

Ed
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Sort of screams for the ID, but I would use #1...

... also think about Lazy Man's Card Trick...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3049 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
EDIT: Bleah, disregard. My post wasn't going to make any sense without exposure.

Ed, what's the problem with just doing a straightforward Invisible Deck routine? I'm a bit worried about imposing these kinds of test conditions on an opening effect.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Not a problem doing ID - just thought I'd try something different while I had a "captive audience".

As far as "test conditions", because of the nature of the classroom setting and what will be happening, I'm kind of anticipating that I will be under great scrutiny. And so I'm trying to head 'em off at the pass.

Oh - "opening" - no, this isn't my opening effect; rather I was asking about how to _open up_ this one particular effect. Sorry for not being clear.

Andrew - would love to hear your thoughts in a PM, perhaps?
Ed
Posted: Dec 20, 2010 1:19pm
I wound up using this with an ID. A little reading in one of my books and I realized I was using the Si Stebbins stack. I just set the deck down and let them cut. "How freaky would it be if the card you just cut to was in this envelope?" Of course it is - the whole deck is in the envelope!

"Before you cut that deck - before you walked into this room - before I put this deck into the envelope - I turned one card over. Would it be freaky if that card matched the one you just cut to?"

It went over quite well!

Ed
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
You might want to check out "X-Ray". I don't have it myself but its been getting good reviews.
FWIU it would allow you to that without the spectator ever telling you their card Smile
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Personally I preferred the first version as a) it gets rid of the possibility of marked cards etc and b) it's simpler..

Danny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A card trick: which presentation sounds better? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL