The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I want to build a cool suspension. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I want to get a suspension built. I have found some one to supply metal and welding. I was wondering if anyone could suggest where I can get good plans.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22139 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For the simple suspensions like the Flying Carpet and Super-X there are no plans as my take is that the dealers think inexpensive enough that they will only sell the illusion.

If you do decide to go ahead and attempt this yourself, get some advice from someone that knows something about weight to material ratio. I mention this for the safety of the person used on the device and trying to transport the equipment.

I once knew a guy who took my Abbott's Chair Suspension measurments and then proceded to make every thing stronger. He did an excellent job, but you could not pick the thing up and move the chair or board, it took at least 2 people to move these things. So over building and under building must be considered.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Find the book, "Encyclopedia of Suspensions and Levitations". There are many ideas discussed.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9490 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I made an S Bar once by torching (Rosebud) a 3 sided piece of I beam (If you will). Then we bent a piece of flat stock around the opening and welded it.

That was a really fun day. I've used that suspension a few hundred times. It was attached to a Genii Lift and you can figure out the rest.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2366 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Michael Baker hit it on the head, all you need is in that book, it sounds like you may need a simple "Super X" and if you can weld or know someone who can, your done.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A close friend of mine made a cool suspension using pipe and then welded the joints. A simple solution.
He built a table top and a base.

The drawback.. It wasn't a pack flat item. It looked good though!

Here is a book "Jim Steinmeyer book Devices and Illusion" allows you to build the Hot Air Suspension
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USZa0XIKeEc

This is great if you can find the book.
Dennis Michael
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22139 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Paul Osborne is the best place to find what you may be interested in and looking for in an illusion plans.

http://www.osborneillusionsystems.com/ He has suspensions and lifts have fun and if you have a question, just email him you needs.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
Thanks for the feedback. You guys are awesome.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I want to build a cool suspension. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL