The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Could I get the name of the effect Ammar did? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
And on what dvd is it taught

Trick starts around 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTaCGIZ8mJw

Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22044 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Which trick is it, I have saved these shows on my computer. If it is the silk trick, go to Michael Ammar's web site and buy the trick, he has been selling all the items he showed on the show with Letterman.

http://www.ammarmagic.com/

There is really no formal name for the trick, if it is the silk through cup handle. It uses an expensive reel and his expensive see thru silks.

You can get a less expansive reel from Daytona Magic, if you are not a professional magician and only do magic as a hobby.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
Thanks.

If it doesn't use sleight of hand I am not really interested.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22044 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No, it is not sleight of hand if you are speaking of the silk thru cup handle bit. If you spend a few minutes with a mug and silk, I am sure you can figure out the sleight of hand method for yourself. Make a "V" and swing your hands toward and away from each other while holding the silk between the 1st and 2nd index fingers.

I suggest you watch the video you reference above again if it is a non-edited performance from the TV show, you can see the gimmick in Ammar's hand when takes out the silk. Can't believe so many missed that.

If you like this kind of magic, you may want to check out the late "Bob Read's Thanks to Pepy" Book, I think it is now on DVD, he does a necktie thru cup handle (different method then I discribed above) in his impromptu pub act. If you only like this sort of sleight of hand stuff, you may like all of Bob's material as he uses all ordinary objects in his complete act.

SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
Thanks

I know a few ring off rope methods which could be adapted to silk thru mug handle but Ammar's looked so clean

One more question if I may

In the link below, is Mr Potassy using sleight of hand only? That routine looks so awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uXWeFBHFw8
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22044 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Slippery Pete, seems you have some learnen' to do about magic. The reason it looked so clean is because you wanted it to be clean. Magicians have some basic tools available to them and used at the correct time can make him look like he is doing miracles. To be so closed to these tools is depriving yourself and your audience of wonder.

An example would be doing magic with a regular deck of cards. All your friends know you only use a regular deck, they have inspected the deck over several of your preformances and even used their personal decks at times. Then one night you show them magic that is unbelieveable to them. Why, because you used a "Stipper Deck". Don't deprive you or your audience from the feeling of real magic.

I use to wear a black onyx ring all the time. I then showed a ring on pencil to professional magician who knew all the secrets of magic. I blew him away because he thought I put my ring on the pencil. I left him very puzzled that night.

I will look at the Potassy video later, I am currently downloading files on dial-up and it take a long time to view a YouTube video, that is why I asked you to tell me what you are talking about. I have Potassy's book, and in the book everything is gimmicked. Later!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it is later. This is his "Sympathetic Silks" routine he calles "Scarves", part is not gimmicked and the last part uses an ordinary gimmick found in the home. This is a classic trick, see the book or DVD "The Magic of Paul Potassy". Classic versions are can be obtained from Rice Magic here: http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rices%20Sel......ines.htm , versions are also published in the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic available in book or CD from Hank Lee Magic Shop. The classic version does not have the all tied together finish. That is an old trick used in many other tricks as well, Potassey has decided to use it with his Sympathetic Silks/Scarves routine.

Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1715 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Magic isn't always about physical skill in manipulation. Ultimately, it is all about creating a sense of wonder and surprise because you can apparently do the impossible. Remember that and you might not mind gimmicks so much. It is all about showmanship.

Sympathetic Silks is a wonderful trick. I recently saw a YouTube video of Levent doing a version that culminated in a production of a bottle from the silks. Of course, being Levent, his routining was impeccable. I have the Potassey videos and he does a nice job with the routine and explanation.

-Patrick
SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
As for me I am not a performing/paid magician. Just 'semi cool' (lol) Uncle Pete who does magic every now and then at gatherings. I am interested in stuff that I can do impromptu (as long as I have the scarves, lets say). There are so many versions of most tricks that I am looking for the one that fits me the most
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
If you are going to take a load of silks with you then you might as well take some gimmicks too.

If you really want impromptu then learn magic with stuff that's going to be at the venue you're going to be performing in. Learn stuff with sugar cubes, coins, borrowed rings or cigarettes etc...

Even if you've gone to the trouble of carrying a deck of cards to a party then its not really impromptu in the truest sense of the word. You've come prepared.

One of my favourite tricks is the penetrating straws trick. I use this all the time from fast food places to swanky bars. I also have a coin through glass that uses just one borrowed coin and a borrowed glass. Sometimes I'll carry a cig through coin, but since the smoking ban here in the UK I do this much less these days. I also have a Hip Pocket Mullica as my standard wallet. So if someone happens to have a deck I can do a few standard tricks ending with card in wallet.

I would never carry silks and present it as impromptu, unless I'm at a formal event and am suited up complete with pocket square. I like to use my colour changing bow ties at these events too.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
There are ways to do similar effects, using moves. Just think of a ring and rope routine. Of course, the method that Ammar used looks quite magical, and a gimmick is needed to make it look that good. Often, the use of a gimmick requires its own set of skills, so I wouldn't discount it.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 15:58, Alan Munro wrote:
There are ways to do similar effects, using moves. Just think of a ring and rope routine. Of course, the method that Ammar used looks quite magical, and a gimmick is needed to make it look that good. Often, the use of a gimmick requires its own set of skills, so I wouldn't discount it.

Reely?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Could I get the name of the effect Ammar did? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL