The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tempered Masonite (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I hope someone can give me advice where to purchase Tempered Masonite smooth on both sides. I have check at Lowe's and Manard's stores and they never carry it. This is the stuff Mak Magic and U.F. Grant use to make all their magic props out of this material.

The next thing I am hoping someone can advise is what is the best cutting tool for this material. I hear it is very hard to cut, so is there a special blade one needs to cut this material.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm not sure anyone carries this stuff any more. Everything I see in the stores has one "pebbled" surface (lousy for painting).

All is not lost though... If you can make use of 1/4" thickness, then simply laminate two 1/8" pieces with the good faces out.

Also, depending on the size pieces you need, you can often find things like wooden (Masonite) clip boards or chalkboards in thrift stores. It never hurts to salvage if it gets you what you want! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Isn't this marketed under the name "hardboard"?

You may want to talk to a sign painter for a source.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hardboard is the second-rate stuff commonly found at most places like Lowes, etc. It has one good surface, and one not so good. This is ok if applying felt or something to the interior of a box, but terrible to paint.

I'm not sure what Bill's intended use is, but there may be better materials to use (assuming they can be found in his neck-o-the-woods).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I thought I would tackle making Abbott's Dragon Side Tables. They use 3 cut out dragons for the legs and a round top that sets on the dragons head with his snout holding the edges. I think they would real nice on a stage.

Buy using Tempered Masonite, I can use thinner thickness and no sanding or prep work, just work on the stencil of the dragon in 5 colors. Just a lot of jig saw work, at some points may have to use a coping saw by hand.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It will still take some sanding along the cut edges, but I think this will be a very fun project and certainly a nice table(s)!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How about a paneling store, would they carry this?

This is the same product that they sell artist boards and paint palettes to mix paint colors while painting a picture.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This website gives a lot of info on hardboards, including S2S (two smooth surfaces). It also has company contact info, so it may be worth following up.

http://www.panel.com/uploads/whatisitcda0.pdf
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
You actually may be overlooking the material. Lowes and Home Depot carry "Bathroom Board" ( I think that's what they call it) It has a White painted finish on one side and smooth bare hardboard on the other. It is 1/8" thick and comes in 3' X 7' panels.
It is superior to the old Mak Magic type hardboard due to the pre painted finish. I used to use this in the Sign Industry many years ago. It takes paint well, needs no surface priming on the white side and the hardboard side will typically be black anyways. Take another look as it is NOT in the same dept. as the other panels.
You may have more luck at Home Depot.
Hope this helps,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Chance, our Home Depot keeps going out of business here in our city. The come in build and start several stores, then a year later close them all.

Chance yes, I will paint both sides of the boards. The three dragons open in a circle or triangle with the top being trapped by the snouts of the dragon. I guess a better discription is a "Y" format when opened. Hinges on both sides of each panel across from one another.

Thanks for the post, if this material you mentioned can be painted on both sides, it may work.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That may be the tip of the year! Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I am going to the Home Depot tomorrow. I will check and see what they actually call the material so you know what to ask for.
I'll get back to you on that.
Hope it turns out to be what you need and in stock!

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That would be great and very nice of you, thanks.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I'm with Chance on this one. I've been using the bath board for years. I always prime the painted side. I have had some problemms with it peeling if you don't. Chance may be using a different paint.

Michael,
In our neck of the woods you can get it at "Menards" in the paneling section. They have the best price.
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
You folks are thinking of "Tileboard." I think it's a little thinner than 1/8"...2mm perhaps?

1/4" and 1/8" masonite (also called tempered service board or tempered hardboard) are both still available, but I've never found anywhere that keeps it in stock. It's always a pain-in-the-butt special order. Lowes and Home Depot won't/can't get it in. Paneling specialty stores are your best bet.

Be careful, though. Get a GOOD LOOK at an ACTUAL sample piece before you order it! When you cna actually find it, the quality varies wildly. Some looks wonderful, but the edges turn to unworkable fuzz when you cut it. Some cuts fine, but has too much wax on the surface -- used as a separating agent during the manufacturing process...and NO finish sticks to wax.

The local supplier I special order it from gets me stuff that's a compromise of each (wish I knew the brand name), but I have to buy a dozen sheets at a time...and the shipping/trucking costs will kill ya'! Just another reason why magic stuff ain't gettin' any cheaper.

For an individual, that 2mm Tileboard paneling is gonna be your best bet.

Dan Wolfe
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I used the "bathroom board" very successfully to build Jim Steinmeyer's "Triumph Sudoku" from Technique and Understanding. I glued two panels back-to-back, and used one side for the Sudoku side and painted the other side with non-skid black paint, because I liked the finish. If you paint the painted side, though, be sure to sand it to give the paint something to cling to.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Just for the record, the Bathroom Board I was speaking of is NOT 2MM.
It is 1/8" thick, it is paintable with no wax coating and a scuffing of 220 would help but I never needed to as I used quality Sign Paints. I used this off the shelves for years with no prep, just painted on the surface and some of the signs are still up to this day!! That's been well over 25 years.
But times and manufacturing processes change over the years. So they may have switched up however I bought some from Home Depot just few years back. I still have not made it over there. I will look into it and see.
Chance

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Masonite: Invented by accident in Johnstown PA at a newspaper printer.

Lunch: They left the steam running and the roll of paper unrolled in a flip-flop fashion, accordion style. After it dried they had a hard board.

Any saw blade can cut the tempered version but it's better with more teeth and when it's clean.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Jay,
Back in the day we called the white top coated substrate Masonite and that is what I have always called it but for some reason Lowes and Home Depot have another name for it. Their idea of Masonite is the non coated brown hardboard. I just did not want to confuse the Café folks.
I began using Masonite back in 1981 and found it to be the most cost effective product for indoor sign use.
I prefer a Freud 80 tooth carbide table saw blade when cutting...or of course an 1/8" carbide router blade and when using the CNC Smile

Cool history lesson on the origin of Masonite!

Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I use my band saw with a fairly fine blade. It also works with a router, and a table saw very well. Really any good fine blade works.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tempered Masonite (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL