The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tempered Masonite (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
I know they are hard to find, but try a real lumberyard, one that carries Baltic Birch and other premium plywood. They should also carry tempered Masonite.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Now I am trying to cope with "white board" as the substitute.

Anyone have any experience painting this stuff?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
OSH Orchard Supply Hardware has 2' x 4' x 1/8" double smooth sided hard board.

Dan
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2011-01-08 10:30, Bob Sanders wrote:
Now I am trying to cope with "white board" as the substitute.

Anyone have any experience painting this stuff?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Bob, I use a primer that is actually made for galvanized metal to prime the white side. It is clear with a little tent added so you can see it. When it dries it still feels a little tacky, but when you paint over it the top coat dries hard. I think that they use the same stuff to prime truck beds so they won't scratch. It is pretty amazing stuff. Next time I'm in the shop I will get a brand name and post it.
Hornblatz
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Hornblatz
Bob - I've worked as a pro-woodworker for years. - - - - -
Take a look at Baltic-Birch Plywood or Finnish-Birch Plywood.

It usually is sold in 5ft x 5ft sheets in varying thicknesses.
It's extremely smooth, very strong and it finishes nicely.
The best thing about it is that it is much lighter weight than hardboard and it's much easier in the glue-up process and it is better for putting screws in it.

Glenn
I LOVE magic & I love using my woodworking skills to build any type of illusion large or small.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Eldon,

I know that you are working on a convention, but did you ever get the name of this product.

Glenn,

We used to use this for decorations. Since wooden furniture making has disappeared in the South, where can you get this material? (We used to get it from Norway!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22774 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bob, Finland Plywood can be ordered from any "real" lumber yard. It comes in 4'x4' sheets and their "C" grade is our American "A" grade.

So if you get "B" on one side and "C" on the back side, you will have a great wood to work with.

Being this wood is imported, it is usually available at lumber years next to ports. I had a friend that drove to Bridgedale, IL years ago and pick up 5 sheets of Finland Plywood. It is expensive, but well worth the price.

He got it from a company called, plywood and door manufacturers Corp. I am sure in with a few telephone calls you can find a supplier in the big state of Texas.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 10:02, wmhegbli wrote:
Bob, Finland Plywood can be ordered from any "real" lumber yard. It comes in 4'x4' sheets and their "C" grade is our american "A" grade.

[...]

Every sheet of "Finland Plywood" - often better known as "Baltic Birch Plywood" - that I ever bought came in 5'x5' sheets.

Does that distinction really matter, you ask? Actually, it does - if you're trying to transport it in a vehicle that won't accept the 5' dimension (and many won't). Take along some rope when you go to the lumber yard, and be prepared to lash that plywood to the top of your Jeep Cherokee (or whatever).

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 10:59, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 10:02, wmhegbli wrote:
Bob, Finland Plywood can be ordered from any "real" lumber yard. It comes in 4'x4' sheets and their "C" grade is our American "A" grade.

[...]

Every sheet of "Finland Plywood" - often better known as "Baltic Birch Plywood" - that I ever bought came in 5'x5' sheets.

Does that distinction really matter, you ask? Actually, it does - if you're trying to transport it in a vehicle that won't accept the 5' dimension (and many won't). Take along some rope when you go to the lumber yard, and be prepared to lash that plywood to the top of your Jeep Cherokee (or whatever).

TW

So true about the 5' x 5' sheets. I drive a van and I have to get the sheets cut in half to get them home. No complaints, though. I don't need large pieces for any of the stuff that I make, and I only have to drive 9 miles down the road to get it. Smile

Bob,

There is a difference between Baltic and Finnish Birch... Finnish has more layers, and is generally better quality, but more expensive. Both can be found at Woodcraft in Pelham (although you'll need to look up their new location from where they used to be). They don't always have the greatest selection (their specialties are hardwoods and exotics), and always in pieces smaller than the standard 5' x 5'. The largest I've seen there are 30" x 30" (1/4 sheet). Their prices are pretty high, too, but sometimes it has to do in a pinch.

You (Bob) can also check Homewood Toy and Hobby for their aircraft ply, usually made by Midwest, and basically the same as Baltic Birch... in some cases it has a harder, smoother surface. Nice stuff, but again, you'll pay handsomely for the right to own it.

Michael's carries Baltic Birch in small pieces, the largest being 12" x 24", but as we've come to learn... be prepared to spend dearly for it. Try to find one of their 40% off coupons to ease the pain. Smile

FYI - For those with a Menards close by, I have recently found Baltic Birch in 4' x 8' sheets, but don't be fooled... while still better than the solid core Birch ply common at Home Depot or Lowes, it is crap. The one good side is loaded with filled voids, the bad side is loaded with open voids.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Masonite used to be made in Ukiah, ca. up until the late 90's when it was finally shut down after many years of protesting for the nightlong spewing of formaldehyde of which they continually denied. There has never again been a product that has come close to the density and hardness of those old clipboards and panel doors. Even the "peg" board made today is pithy and brittle.

The board with the white coating, if not paint, was coated with melamine, the same stuff that was reaching our shores in foodstuff and pet food from Chinese imports a few years back.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1828 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Try 3/8", 4x8 MDO medium density overlay, no relation to MDA, very stable water resistant designed for painting, try a sign painters shop. Norm uses it.
Also check out Apple Ply an American made adder and maple alliterative to Baltic birch. Make sure to get the American or Canadian, NEVER Chinese made product.
Both these cut very well with a saber saw, upgrade to Bosch blades now.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think someone else mentioned Appleply some time ago. I haven't seen it yet, though.

How well do the edges of MDO finish? How well does MDO machine? Does MDO take screws and nails well? What is the best glue to use on MDO?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1828 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
MDO handles like other high grade plywoods. It's used in everything from street signs and boat building to heavy concrete forms. There is also a two coated side version and a high density version. The edges cut well, but it is plywood. Ask a sign shop about it.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I've already PM'd Bob about this but thought I would post it. The primer we used on the white coated marlite was True Value "X-O Rust Galvanized\Aluminium Primer". It used to be clear with a green tint. They still make it but now it is solid white. I hope they just changed the tint and not the formula. I'm sure eventually I will be trying the new suff. When I do I'll let you know how it works.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I know I am very late to post to this thread, but...

I have run into problems when painting tempered masonite. Several years ago, the Oklahoma Theater Center did a show called Cole!, which was a tribute to Cole Porter. The set design called for everything to be surfaced in masonite to give a seamless appearance of blue with glitter set into the paint. We spent an entire day painting this set, and it looked great when we called it a day.

The next morning we came in to discover that the tempered masonite had absorbed enough water from the latex paint to cause it to buckle up. the stage looked like the inside of a bouncy castle! A day and an entire box of screws later, we had it back under control. Had this been an illusion, we would have had to re-skin the entire cabinet. Just a word of warning. Had we painted both sides, it may have absorbed the paint more evenly, possibly preventing warping.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tempered Masonite (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL