The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Who are you fooling? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I often see effects billed as being "magician foolers" and that seems to be attractive to many magicians. However, does the word "fool" have the same meaning when applied to a magician as it does when applied to a lay person?

For example, a coin vanish: A magician knows that either a f**** tr******, st*** or di*** took place so he is fooled when he does not know what exactly took place or when he can not duplicate the exact technique. But, to the lay person, a coin did not vanish if he sees any movement from a dirty hand, a dirty hand looks like it is holding something, movement is unmotivated, unnatural or in any other way suspicious.

Another example; a fast pace routine: To the magician, he is fooled when every thing happens so fast that he can not pick up on any of sleights used. To the lay person he may feel that he only witnessed quick and cleaver sleight of hand and is satisfied to have figured that much out.

I find, in my own coin magic, I have to keep reminding myself who my audience is or I'll be in danger of weakening an effect by trying to make it better.
Wes
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Wes, agreed... first rule of any communication [including coin magic]... always know your audience! Thanks for the reminder.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
To me fooling magicians is a waste of time. I was in a hurry once and didn't have time to prepare for a magic club meeting. Our custom was , after dinner, to go around the table and each magician did a trick. Since I hadn't had time to prepare anything, I thought I'd go for a laugh. So I took a quarter and did a french drop, or at least appeared to do a french drop, but in fact simply took the coin in the normal manner. Then showed what the magician would have presumed to be the dirty hand as clean and said "ta da". I didn't get much of a laugh, only a couple of chuckles, but after the meeting 4 magicians present came up and offered me money to teach them the move.

Magic is for entertaining, not fooling. Know your audience and know what will entertain them.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Totally agree with you Father. Smile It's sorta like trying to out-math the math teacher, or something like that. Smile

I typically do magic for laymen much moreso than magicians. Think most magicians do if their lucky. Smile But amongst that group of laymen I'm sure there are some magicians in there and they get just what the laymen get from me, and are most times just as amazed, probably inspite of themselves. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I used to spend several hours a month with Fred Donaldson. It wasn't really lessons but just listening to an old and very accomplished magician as he walked down memory lane. The 'lessons' simply came from the conversation. There is one that is very relevant to this thread.

I used to purchase tricks from Fred (he had a small magic shop). I told him I'm interested in tricks that would force me to hone my skills, not self-working tricks. I love linking rings and cups and balls and such. I told him that I loved the practice.

He told me that there are three kinds of magicians. There are those that perform for other magicians. They may be able to make a living giving lectures or maybe open their own store or by selling lessons. Then there are other magicians that perform for the public. Finally there are other magicians, like myself, that performed just for themselves - these magicians are indulging in magical !@#$%^&*()_+.

Then he advised me to step away from the mirror and go out and find an audience - that I would learn more in that first performance than months in front of a mirror. He was right. I found an audience. I learned several BIG lessons. Here's one, never combine nylon and fire. You very well may set yourself ablaze.

Another: Once you've set your hand ablaze cups and balls becomes infinitely more difficult.
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On 2010-12-19 16:55, Father Photius wrote:
To me fooling magicians is a waste of time. I was in a hurry once and didn't have time to prepare for a magic club meeting. Our custom was , after dinner, to go around the table and each magician did a trick. Since I hadn't had time to prepare anything, I thought I'd go for a laugh. So I took a quarter and did a french drop, or at least appeared to do a french drop, but in fact simply took the coin in the normal manner. Then showed what the magician would have presumed to be the dirty hand as clean and said "ta da". I didn't get much of a laugh, only a couple of chuckles, but after the meeting 4 magicians present came up and offered me money to teach them the move.

Magic is for entertaining, not fooling. Know your audience and know what will entertain them.

Basically, you did a Spider vanish and those 4 magicians didn't know what that was? Did you do the tossing motion with the taking hand or simply show the dirty hand empty?
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Magic is designed for laymen. As magicians, this should be our focus. If a fellow magician is fooled at any time, that's kind of a bonus, but should never be the goal.

Just my opinion.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 12:38, Jumbopenny wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-19 16:55, Father Photius wrote:

Basically, you did a Spider vanish and those 4 magicians didn't know what that was? Did you do the tossing motion with the taking hand or simply show the dirty hand empty?

I didn't do any vanish, I simply held the quarter in my right hand between my thumb and forefinger, and took it with my left hand, then showed my right hand empty.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
"I didn't do any vanish, I simply held the quarter in my right hand between my thumb and forefinger, and took it with my left hand, then showed my right hand empty."

Either you've come up with something revolutionary or those magicians really fooled themselves. It's like playing paper,rocks, scissors and they're trying to be a step ahead of you. In actuality they're a step behind. I think you short circuited some brains there. If you did that to a layman they would either be confused or think it's silly. At the risk of looking like a fool I'm going to try this on some laypersons and see what happens.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Smart people are sometimes easily fooled. I am.
I heard an interesting quote quite a long time ago. It goes,"many magicians are lay people with business cards".

As an addiction counselor, I am well aware of the lies our brain can tell us.

As Pogo said, we have met the enemy and it is us.

Be safe, well and creative. (and I need to remind myself of rule 62...don't take myself too seriously.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have to agree with you and Pogo, Harris my friend. Smile I have always marveled at the fact of how it doesn't matter how smart you are for magic to be effective. I am often in situations with political figures, lawyers, accountants and doctors, teachers and professors, captains of industry and many others and find that in magic they are all the same. No matter who they are, you approach them the same way and show them the same thing and they are most times amazed by the same amazement. Smile

I actually proved all this stuff to myself one day when I showed my eye doctor a little trick using a Retention of Vision vanish. Upon the coin vanishing the Doc just couldn't believe it, shook his head and said, "I'm the one that needs glasses." In front of all his degrees and awards, I was basically using the physics of his own profession on him and he had no clue. He asked to see it again and I did it for him in slow motion Smile and the same thing happened as he focused strongly on my hand or so he thought. This time he rubbed his eyes in even further disbelief. To let him off the hook (figured why not use a little misdirection on him), Smile I went on to mention how great I thought all his pretty accomplishments on the wall were. Smile So much for who you are or who you think you are. Smile

In fact, you are more likely to run into a smarta^^ spec that you might not think matches any such Hi-IQ status of things. These sorta folks can be anybody really but typically I have found they are rarely the sorta folks I mentioned above here for some reason? On the other hand, Know-It-All specs see magic as a challenge or test they have to pass or show others there that they can't be fooled...They just have to do it. Smile Typically these are people you wouldn't like much even if you weren't showing them magic. Smile And every once in a while they could be the actual magician themselves, as Know-It-Alls know no boundaries and can be found in all groups of people and maybe some animals I think. Smile

Anyway, I like doing magic for laymen and everyone I do it for, whether laymen or magician is a laymen to me as to what they see and perceive in my magic. Their opinions might be based on who they are and what they might know, but their amazement in those purer moments, most of the time is based on me. Smile Since that dynamic never changes, I'm always holding a pretty good hand to win. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
I don't really get the chance to perform for magicians, unless I hit up a magic lecture. I perform for family and friends. My family loves it and my friends generally do as well. One is the type that Marion talked about, the Know It All guy. He is super smart and loves to figure out things. So I've talked to him about it and told him to just enjoy it and not try to figure it out. It's not as fun that way. That actually helped. As a teacher, I try to perform every now and then to my high school students. That's pretty fun and usually get good reactions.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Funny CW, I taught college for 10 years while in corporate America and used to also use magic in my classrooms for students. It was a lot of fun for them but also I used it to make strong points they could feel and think more deeply about and always remember. I used to show that same ROV to students and blow them out their seats right upclose, they couldn't believe it! The lesson was, "If I can do all that right in front of your faces, what can people do all behind your back in life?"

I could always see the little minds beginning to think more deeply upon that poignant presentation. Smile

Chris W
View Profile
Regular user
Have you seen my
176 Posts

Profile of Chris W
That's awesome. I use cards to make points on probability to my freshman. "What's the chance I find your card?" Then I end up finding it and going through an ambitious card routine. Fun stuff and gets they're attention. I still have kids coming up to me this year and asking me to do the Probability Card Trick to them from last year. At least they remembered something!
mtb
View Profile
New user
South Africa
61 Posts

Profile of mtb
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 15:14, Mb217 wrote:
I have to agree with you and Pogo, Harris my friend. Smile <snip>

This is one of the most eloquent posts I have read on how magic works for people. Thank you. Smile
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Mb is wise beyond his years. A great friend and a great resource.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 15:14, Mb217 wrote:
it doesn't matter how smart you are for magic to be effective.

And I can attest to that - after all, even I can be an effective magician! Smile

Jim
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 11:01, rikbrooks wrote:
I used to spend several hours a month with Fred Donaldson. It wasn't really lessons but just listening to an old and very accomplished magician as he walked down memory lane. The 'lessons' simply came from the conversation. There is one that is very relevant to this thread.

I used to purchase tricks from Fred (he had a small magic shop). I told him I'm interested in tricks that would force me to hone my skills, not self-working tricks. I love linking rings and cups and balls and such. I told him that I loved the practice.

He told me that there are three kinds of magicians. There are those that perform for other magicians. They may be able to make a living giving lectures or maybe open their own store or by selling lessons. Then there are other magicians that perform for the public. Finally there are other magicians, like myself, that performed just for themselves - these magicians are indulging in magical !@#$%^&*()_+.

Then he advised me to step away from the mirror and go out and find an audience - that I would learn more in that first performance than months in front of a mirror. He was right. I found an audience. I learned several BIG lessons. Here's one, never combine nylon and fire. You very well may set yourself ablaze.

Another: Once you've set your hand ablaze cups and balls becomes infinitely more difficult.

Hey, that "magical !@#$%^&*()_+" quote actually comes from a real, and obscure, "Magick" (occult) source. I'd know. Was Fred influenced in any way by the Occult? Just curious.
Respects,
Shamsiel
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I consider myself an entertainer first, and the magic is just a tool. When I worked magic conventions I did material designed to fool magicians, but for laymen do the simple stuff.

Good example was Fred Kaps. As great a sleight of hand guy and could fry magicians, I went with him to many shows in The Netherlands where his layman act consisted of: Spot Card, Professor's Nightmare, Chinese Stick. etc. He was very entertaining and got lots of laughs. I had no idea what he was saying, but he got laughs in his native language.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-12-19 13:30, Wes65 wrote:
I often see effects billed as being "magician foolers" and that seems to be attractive to many magicians. However, does the word "fool" have the same meaning when applied to a magician as it does when applied to a lay person?...

Effects simple and direct, please. Routines that engage and a flow of action that's easy to follow.
Once things get contrived they have to be set up... and that takes time one might not have to explain.
Any magician fooling is just there to help ensure that folks looking in odd places will not find things out of place Smile

Magical... YouTubeation?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Who are you fooling? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL