The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help With Fan Blades (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Hi All:

Can any of you think of how a good-sized window industrial fan could be crafted that would be capable of having its blades stiff so that they would slice and dice something thrown into it and still be able to have them hinged so that you could quickly change between the two settings and allowing the performer to fall into the fan and plunge out of the window with it?

The solution may be obvious to a lot of you, but I grew up in an apartment not a house so the only tool I learned to use was a hammer to bang on the radiator when we needed the super to fix something! (I also didn't go to kindergarten which my wife says explains a lot of things.)

Appreciate any and all assistance here or by PM.

Gary
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, if you'd gone to kindergarten you would know to use the hammer to bang on the super. Radiators cost money.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Good point.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Falling (or being thrown out) of a window is known as defenestration. Maybe that could be the name for your effect.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
... or "DeFANestration"...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
There you go. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Defanestration it is then! If I can work it out to my satifaction that's the name that will appear in the novel!

Now, anybody want to helo make it so with some suggestions?
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
If this is for a novel you don't need to work it out to the nuts and bolts. Just enough detail that the readers will understand the idea.
www.georgefledo.net

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Agreed, George.

The important thing is that it be plausible. In this case that means the blades can be used either stiff or hinged and can be switched between the two modes quickly. Best suggestion I've had so far would be pins in the blade cap that would keep the blades stiff when in place and allow the hinges to operate when drawn back--a cap within a larger cap if you will.

Thoughts?
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3043 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
That sounds fine. It may not work in real life, but it sounds like something a magician would use. Hinges and pins and secret levers all work well in fiction.
www.georgefledo.net

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Thanks, George--it's what I'll probably go for. My criterion is: COULD it work in real life, even if it hasn't been done (yet). And it seems this could work, so . . . .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help With Fan Blades (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL