We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mike chao card manipulation (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
trycks.
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of trycks.
Just want to ask where can I learn that card production technique where he twirl the cards
then make a card production display.

heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di1GGivtMa4&feature=related
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This style/technique is not available anywhere. It is what develops after getting the McBride Card Manipulation DVD set and a lot of practice. The four card display is a close-up card display created I believe by Paul Harris in one of his early card books. The 8 card display is not published anywhere I believe.

You need same color both sides cards as well, I believe Seo Magic sells these manipulations decks.

For steals see Jeff McBride's Manipulation Without Tears DVD, not the exact same methods, but will clue you into this process. I don't know why the new age manipulatiors are doing front steals, it does not fool anyone, really.

His jacket is gaffed to the hilt for all the impossible productions and transpositions.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2598 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
While this information might ultimately not be very helpful I thought it worth mentioning that this card production has been published.

It appeared in the September 88 issue of the brilliant magic magazine that was OPUS and the card production is the creation of Mikek Vladamir from, what was, Yugoslavia.

OPUS was a British publication that was around in the 80's and 90's. It always contained really excellent effects and was a great read. It was published by JJ and Chris Power (and in the early years by Ian Keable too) and was supposedly published monthly. (although 'erratically' rather than 'monthly' would be a better description; but none of the subscribers seemed to mind this and the arrival of the next magazine was always welcomed and eagerly awaited)

The OPUS team saw Mikek Vladamir performing this card production in his competition act at FISM 88 and asked if they could publish it in their magazine.

Consequently in the September 88 issue, on pages 8 - 12 , is what is modestly entiled, 'A Card Production'. Chris Power describes and illustrates the card production technique with 24 excellent drawings. Chris, who is a top notch sleight of hand guy, sums up the production saying, 'obviously this is a series of very tricky moves but the end result is truly magical".

Unfortunately for 'trykes', who started this thread, it's going to be a challenge, to say the least, to get hold of any issues of OPUS let alone that particular issue. I have a complete collection and certainly wouldn't consider parting with it.

However maybe 'trykes' could try and track down Vladamir, or even Chris Power and see if they could help out.

Of course during the interceding years it's possible that this production has appeared somewhere else. If it has maybe someone here on the Café could point 'trykes' in the right direction.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
trycks.
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of trycks.
@wmhegbli & sealegs - thanks for the help, now its time for hard work researching Smile
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I think the bold application of stealing from the front of the body can be very deceptive, if the magicians capacity to direct attention is sufficient, and the gestures are fluid and natural so as to prevent arousal of suspicion.

I feel there is a flaw in a vanishing arm. Although this can serve its purpose as well in proper context.

Now that your aware the production which holds your interest is public domain, let it inspire you, and recreate it without further influence. This will allow your own direction to flourish. You might end up with something entirely your own. This is the greatest payoff.

Rehearsal will bring fourth progressive plateaus. Like an insect ascending a flight of stairs. The forthcoming step is veiled to the awareness, till one levels out after the incline. The beauty is you never have to stop advancing. Each new thresholds will present another.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 22:50, trycks. wrote:
@wmhegbli & sealegs - thanks for the help, now its time for hard work researching Smile

I will help you with your research, because I want you to succeed. Here is the link to the DVDs of Jeff McBride: The Art of Card Manipulation 3 Volumes. All the tools are here, but you should not just watch them, but absorb them with an intense passion.
http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=1309
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2598 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
If you have no joy finding this exact card production let me know. I might be able to get permission from the publishers of OPUS to send you a scanned copy of the explaination of this technique from the pages of the relevent issue.

Obviously I can't promise anything as the decision would not be mine but I'm happy to ask if you're really interested.
Neal Austin

Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2598 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Unfortunately the publishers didn't give permission for me to reproduce the relevant pages for you.

So I'm afraid I'm not able to help other than by suggesting you place wanted ads for the issue of Opus (mentioned in my previous post) that contains this Card Production. There are many magic web sites out there on the internet, including this one, that might, if you're very lucky, turn up a copy for you.
Neal Austin

markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Jeff McBride’s card manipulations DVD are wonderful but there is a lot of techniques in there you may never use. If you want to save some money and learn most of what you would actually perform I would recommend Tony Clark’s Award Winning Card routine DVD.
chrisgali
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of chrisgali
Search for stephane vanel,...his dvd teaches you how to produce cards and show a display, throw them away and display again..like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzDZBv8d7O8

at 7 sec. and 15sec.!
hard to do...big hands may help..Smile
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
463 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Neal Austin is right, this was invented by a very good friend of mine Vladimir (Wladimir) Mikek from Slovenia. He has described it on 2 video tapes, a DVD by International Magic and in many lecture notes.
He is Germany right now but he will be back home very soon. Here are some of his web addresses Smile
http://www.wladimir.si
http://www.slomagic.com/trgovina
http://instantpano.com
http://vanishingradio.com
http://www.wladimir.org
http://www.vladimir.si
http://www.magicwladimir.com
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
I saw much the same thing in the early 1980s. That version was credited to Baltazar Fuentes. I don't know if he ever published it.

Happy hunting!
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
sam2452
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of sam2452
You know you can do the same effect by doing the Perfect Production in Jeff McBride DVD then twirl the cards
then make a card production display. The perfect production is a lot easy to do.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2598 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
'Bojanbarisic' seems to have given the originator of this thread (trykes) a complete answer and solution to his original problem and question and provided an excellent lead direct to the source material that I unfortunately wasn't able to help with.

Nice to see when it all come together. Smile
Neal Austin

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6074 Posts

Profile of motown
You can now get OPUS here in PDF form:

http://www.opusmagazine.co.uk/?cat=7
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jcup
View Profile
New user
Taiwan
3 Posts

Profile of jcup
There are other sources besides OPUS and Vladimir himself.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
463 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Watch Mike on Le Plus Grand Cabaret this Saturday
Fujur
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Fujur
I really like Mike Chao´s Magic and I think his performance was really good in Le Plus Grand Cabaret but I think the video editing was not the best for him and I think the program should ask about that to the magician. All the videos of Le Plus have been very good edited (as my espectator´s point of view) but I don't like in this one.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 06:32, Fujur wrote:
I really like Mike Chao´s Magic and I think his performance was really good in Le Plus Grand Cabaret but I think the video editing was not the best for him and I think the program should ask about that to the magician. All the videos of Le Plus have been very good edited (as my espectator´s point of view) but I don't like in this one.

Personnally I don't like the editing and the camera angles of this TV show. They'll have their 150 TV shot next month but everytime I see a magician on stage I'm always frightened in advance for them abour the camera angles and the edit of the act.

I just can't understand that they didn't learn from their past fails and try to change things, but this is only my own humble opinion.

The best thought through camera angles and edits are done by David Copperfield's team. A lot of research is done before it goes out to the audience.

Oliver.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Quote:
On 2010-12-21 21:48, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I don't know why the new age manipulatiors are doing front steals, it does not fool anyone, really.

His jacket is gaffed to the hilt for all the impossible productions and transpositions.

I've seen his act on french TV last saturday and even though it was a nice act, I have to agree with Bill. Even my mother in law told me that she didn't really enjoyed the act because his hands and arms movements weren't very open and wide out to the sides. She said to me that it looked the whole time as he would have to hide something.

Anyway, just my own and my mother in law opinion... Smile

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mike chao card manipulation (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL