The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Exactly is Busking? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
i know a lot of English but I don't know busking.

Isn't it the same as street magic? Smile
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Busking is essentially hustling for tips... it does not necessarily describe the method (you could just as well be selling quick drawn portraits, dancing or playing music).

The traditional (read: British) definition is strictly performing on the street or in a pub and does not refer to the form of pay, but contemporary usage indicates the "hustle" aspect.

A defining factor in my mind (which may be completely erroneous) is usually the fact that you are not paid by an individual or establishment to provide the specific service. Often a busker has not attempted to get permission for their actions (either through actual permission or in some instances paying a liscense fee).

Most often the term is heard of in reference to performers from the U.K. (and occasionally the current-or-until-recently colonies).

Believed to be derived from the "buskins" or boots that the performers often wore... maybe they passed their boot rather than their hat? I know many travellers who keep their valuables in their boots.

ajp
pasteboardforbrains
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
113 Posts

Profile of pasteboardforbrains
Thanks for the definition.
Smile Smile
Parker Caldwell

sigh... nothing to quote
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Exactly is Busking? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL