The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A Question Of Ethics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Hi guys
It's that nutty English dude again.
sat behind his laptop instead of Christmas shopping
(I haven't got anything for the wife yet)
I wonder if she'd like a Lightning Box?

Anyway
Here's the question....
Is it ethical to put out a book of presentations of other peoples' effects?

example: I recently shared here on the Café my presentations for QBII, Flexion and Torn 2 Pieces.

Most here will, I hope, agree that the presentation is as(if not more) important than the effect, gimmicks, handling etc.

That being the case;
If I have got say 10 effects that I have come up with presentations for that I think are better/sufficiently different than what came with the effect;
Is it OK to write them up in booklet form and offer them to the Magic community?

Assuming I don't give away any methods, sleights etc.

Thanks for reading
Steve
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
If the methods are not included, absolutely. Even so, ask the originators what they think of your take, and some may allow you to publish the method as well. Unlikely, but you never know.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Indeed - but most people would like you to share presentations regarding their products / offerings, because it helps boost everyone's work together.... and presentations are the true "methods" for mentalism most of the time.

Just watched a video the other day by Mark DeSouza where a good % of the presentations were other people's devices with presentations... e.g. the Dean's Box, etc. and he directed people to the creators of those devices. I didn't mind because I luckily own all the devices he referenced... but here is the key if you plan to SELL your book - make mention of all the products/devices required for your presentations in the ad copy so that buyers won't get mad!

Writers write - so write it regardless Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thanks guys.

If I did this (and nothing is planned it's just an idea that popped into my head)
I would first contact the originators.
I would include references/links to the effects themselves
And I would make it very clear that these presentations would only be of use to people who have the original effect.

Steve
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Good Idea Steve!
Merry Christmas!!!
;)
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
That sounds completely reasonable to me. And you may be surprised at how accommodating some of the bigger names are when it comes to republishing methods. My Test Card book on ESP card routines and principles includes material by David Britland, Roy Walton and Karl Fulves. Ask and you may well receive Smile

Have a great holiday one and all.

T.
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
Didn't Mike Close release a 2 DVD set with mostly presentations of other folks effects?
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
916 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
What you mention, is, I guess appropriate for the advanced performer...and would also be very helpful so that thay can rack their brains and change/modify and come up with something new and suitable for their style!
Nothing legally wrong...infact you will be doing major publicity for the originators of the effect !
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
This has been done for the last 80 years or so. Used to be, you'd pay your $3 for the pamphlet that would be the author's take on presentations for a list of standard effects. Now, I suppose, it would be $20.

It's convenient for the purchaser to know what effects are handled. Anything I don't have is useless to me unless your presentation inspires me to buy the original trick.

Go for it.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thank you all.

If I decide to do something along these lines I'll post it for all to see.

Steve
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
I'm not sure it's ethical to take money for something that requires the buying of something else? Consumers deserve more in terms of bang for the buck these days. But I'm sure my opinion will be in the minority.

Much success.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I disagree (you knew it was coming), but to a degree. As long as it is stated what it is, there is no issue (my opinion).

Cook books require the purchase of other items, card magic books require the purchase of cards, coin magic requires the use of coins... Most every instruction book requires the use of other items, s long as the consumer is aware of what ther book is...

Tony
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2010-12-23 11:49, jdmagic357 wrote:
I'm not sure it's ethical to take money for something that requires the buying of something else? Consumers deserve more in terms of bang for the buck these days. But I'm sure my opinion will be in the minority.

Much success.

So going by your post, Paul Romhany's Mental Epic Compendium book is unethical because it would require one to purchase a Mental Epic prop. For the $50 he's charging, should he also include the prop? You're right, I do want more bang for my buck!
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
Quote:
On 2010-12-23 12:51, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
you knew it was coming)
Tony

Yeah Tony I'm a pretty good mentalist.

Quote:
On 2010-12-23 13:01, Domino Magic wrote:
So going by your post, Paul Romhany's Mental Epic Compendium book is unethical because it would require one to purchase a Mental Epic prop. For the $50 he's charging, should he also include the prop? You're right, I do want more bang for my buck!

Not necessarily, if he gives other methods of performing the effect without the board itself.As with Richard Osterlind that has a few ways of doing the effect with nothing more than some 3x5 index cards.

But that's just how I feel about it.

Cheers.
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A Question Of Ethics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL