The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who's your favorate mentalist and why? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Derren Brown - polished, excellent audience management, great persona, stage shows themed. Colin Cloud (McCloud) excellent persona, approachable character, wonderful presentation...and Scottish!
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Marc Spelmann is also fantastic!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My favorite is still Max Maven because of the comedy he adds.
MagicBrain
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of MagicBrain
Anneman - my first book ever read on mentalism 'Practical mental magic' ans still my inspiration
Robert E Nelson - old but still a learning process
Max Maven - for his style
Richard Osterlind - magic and mental magic
Gary Kurtz - first mentalism I ever met in person many years ago
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1473 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Is it okay to say that I derive great inspiration from professional comedians? I don't use "comedy," per se, in my performances, but I admire how certain comics create the illusion of spontaneity. For example, I think Sarah Silverman is a MASTER of this technique. Her shows don't seem "prepared," although I am quite sure she puts a great deal of effort into making it seem that way. They seem extemporaneous. I try to do the same thing in my performances, despite the fact that I laboriously write and rehearse scripts for my major performance pieces.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Ben-

Sure it's okay to say that. I learned to be a performer by watching and working with stand-up comedians and singers. Timing, stage presence, microphone technique, etc. aren't things that you can really learn from books.
magician304
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of magician304
Max Maven and Derren Brown
Honest Deceptions
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Honest Deceptions
All of them...They all have something to contribute...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6723 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On May 6, 2014, Enotskcalb wrote:
Bob Cassidy # 1. Brilliant thinker, superbly skilled, polished performer, prolific author and living legend who helps others.

Yes! Bob Cassidy! No question. For the above reasons and more...

Doug
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
David Hoy - Cojones like coconuts.
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
238 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
Too many influences to name...but here are a few: Richard Osterlind, Bob Cassidy, Peter Turner, Atlas Brookings, Michael Murray, Luke Jermay...
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1884 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Bobser stated years ago how its funny how some threads come back up after some time. He is right! I performed Sum Total by Larry Becker last night to a wonderful round of applause. Its been about a year and a half since I performed this gem. So after all these years I'm still a huge fan of Mr. Becker and Sum Total! And I've added another name and piece of mentalism to my list. Mr. Martin Lewis and his What-Sat book test using SAT style cards. This is a great and I mean great book test. I've been fortunate enough to meet this man and his mind is one of the sharpest in mentalism and magic! But this test is such a wonderful piece of mentalism that I could not recommend it more. Sum Total and What-Sat will always be in my go-to drawer and I know it will continue to garner the applause we all hope to receive.

But beyond the above statement let me just say Mr. Becker and Mr. Lewis are two very fine examples of men who dedicated their lives to our Art and have made it much better by their contributions and improvements. And they are truely truely wonderful men to know. I am very honored to know them.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I wouldn't be performing without the help of Corinda, Annemann, Cassidy, Maven, Becker, Brown, Osterlind, Riggs, and so many others listed here.

But I will always have a soft place in my heart for Barrie Richardson. I love his writing style, theory, approach, kindness, and generosity. I am so glad he wrote the books and made the videos before he passed on.

The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Giannim
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Giannim
Max Maven
Derren Brown
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Profile of Twisted Mentat
Luke Jermay.
I think he is an aristocrat among modern mentalists.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Chan Canasta for having the balls to do what he did on live TV... and being able to get out of it so well when it went wrong.
B_man2012
View Profile
New user
Republic of Croatia
100 Posts

Profile of B_man2012
Derren Brown for being a constant inspiration, and a major reason that brought me into mentalism.
~ The Croatian Mentalist ~

>PM me if you need help with anything graphic design related!
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Let's not forget Tommy and Liz Tucker. One of the greatest Duo's of all time.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
ashpryce
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of ashpryce
So many to chose from.

I really like the work of Luke Jermay, Bob Cassidy obviously. I like Banachek quite a bit. Rich Ferguson some may argue isn't a mentalist, but to be honest I got a few routines from him that have served me very well and got some amazing reactions. Corindas work is of course vital

As someone said earlier, Colin Cloud is an influence and the first mentalist I saw that made me want to persue the art form.

But I gotta go cliche and say Derren Brown. He brought mentalism into the mainstream in the UK, and I imagine he is a big factor in people being drawn toward the art in recent years (again in the UK). I'm not keen on his more recent self help type stuff - in fact since the Lottery I think only one or two of his specials have appealled, but his live work is brilliant and I regularly watch his pre-2009 output.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1290 Posts

Profile of Robb
Ross Johnson and Marc Salem. Because they perform real world mentalism that is entertaining and mystifying and they deliver it with the utmost style and appreciation for their audiences. And both are unique in a world of copycat perfomers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who's your favorate mentalist and why? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL